scaryfireladyBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
hey, i want to try fire breathing, but i dont know where to begin!!

can anyone give me some tips, somewhere to look, or some advice about how to do it!!!!

iv heard from a lot of poeple its a stupid thing to do, but i want to know all the facts before i decide, and give it a go!!!! biggrin

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Read all the articles, read them again.... read them a third time... then don't firebreathe.

Easy peasy! smile

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
yes, Fire Breathing is very, very dangerous, experienced performers who do it correctly have lost their lives. (notice the automatic link). Ask yourself is it really worth it, just to essentially show off. (waits for all the fire breathers to come and lynch me for saying that, but most the fire arts are just showing off, depending on the context, its just that with fire breathing you are just risking your life, not just injury).

read me

download me

and read me

you'll find that on this site, and in the fire arts community in general, a lot of people refuse to fire breathe, not because they can't - compared to other things the technique isn't too difficult to master, but because they won't.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"read all the articles, read them again.... read them a third time... then don't firebreathe."

Thats censored advice.

Whats the point of saying "dont learn something"?

Why not say "Fire breathing is very dangerous. Practise with water first spraying it into a fine mist. Blah blah blah. Learn it, but be very very careful, take your time and have safety as top priority"

shrug

ScaryFireLady: Basically what pricklyleaf said smile

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
*lynches pricklyleaf*

(But very gently wink )

As a fire breather myself, I'm not going to recommend that you do/do not take it up.

However, I would say that once you know how to do it, only do it rarely. Don't do it every time you light up. Keep practising with water unless it's for a real performance and/or there's someone in the audience you want to impress tongue

I'm fairly happy with my decision to fire breathe, but come back to me in 15 years... I may have changed my mind wink

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Ok, true, telling someone not to learn something is bad advice but i dont think anyone should firebreathe same as i dont think anyone should smoke. A friend of mine was badly hurt when a firebreather, an experienced firebreather, didnt take adequate precautions.

If you're going to fire breathe practice loads before hand and take precautions, read all the articles a few times and read Pele's story then ask yourself, 'do I want to risk my life and the safety of others just to show off for a few seconds?'

In my opinion, it's not worth it.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Another way of looking at it might be to ask yourself:

"Do I want to risk my life for a fair amount of money?"

Because you can get a lot more for "Fire Breathing and Spinning" than you can for "Fire Spinning".

But you may or may not be interested in performing for money, you may not be interested in performing at all, ever. In which case I don't really see much point in doing it myself... But, well, your choice! smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

Because you can get a lot more for "Fire Breathing and Spinning" than you can for "Fire Spinning".

I protest.

I've shared a gig with a firebreather and ended up being paid more, not less.

However, the skills/professionality between us were quite different. I'm not saying this to be an ass. I'm just pointing out that being an artist, not just an artist but a professional, your work and pay will reflect how good you are and how good you market/present yourself. Not whether you fire breathe or not.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
Whilst the danger of serious injury if something goes wrong is certainly an issue, what really stops me being interested is the unavoidable harm to my teeth , gums and mouth and the carcinogenic and otherwise toxic effects on my body.
Jeff

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Shouldnt this be in social discussion now? wink

FireSmurfmember
31 posts

Posted:
Im quite suppriced that nobady acculy mentiond that you never should try to do firebreathing without havning somone that knows how to do it precent, at least not the first times. This mainly becose of that no mather how much you practis on your own and se other people do it you can never be 100% sure that your doing it right. A experienced firebrether will be able to see how good your spreds are for an other viewe and give you advice how to change your spread to a more propper blowout. Hopfully he will alsow be more aware of safty and will probebrly be a very good firesafty in a case of emergensy. Bascikly none firebreders never take the time to learn all the nesesery precostions of firebreading. And when your lungs are burning like napalm "inhaild parafin coses chem burns and inflamtions" you might not always be able to think and act rationaly...

thats my 5 cent

Thomas Bjork
[Fire Artist]
[clown]

DanScorpnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Yes, firebreathing CAN be dangerous. However if correct technique and safety precautions are observed you can do it safely without the risk of setting yourself on fire.
BUT all your basic hydrocarbon fuels are: a) quite carcinogenic and b) cause chemical burns. If you use any standard fuel e.g. kerosine, lamp oil etc.you will get alot of mouth ulcers. Odds of cancer are low but chemical burn will always occur. This is the real danger with firebreathing, not the flame itself. I taught myself to firebreathe when i was 15 and have never had flame burns. I only do it on rare occasions because of the chemical burn, and I'm currently working on producing a safe fuel for firebreathing.
Other than that, read Pele's guide to firebreathing, which covers everything you need to know and is very well written.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Check your msds sheets, some fuels are more carcinagenic than others, use only high purity parafin(s) / lamp oils, if your making appropriate use of mouth liners and rinses you should be avoiding mouth ulcers, if your still getting mouth ulcers with full fat liners then there is something else going on, although I have found certain brands of parafin that claim to be highly refined tend to cause problems like this, know your fuels.

Chemical burns (external) otherwise topical dermatitis and or tissue defatting, extensive exposure causes peeling around the muzzle area and (eye(s) if doing repeated vertical pillars)), best controlled by use of proper personal hygene (post performance), good quality derma friendly wipes facial tissues hot running water and soap is also good here, change of clothes, essentially you should'nt be getting that much fuel onto yourself,

mark

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Alternatively, to avoid all the dangers of carcinogenic fuels, you can breathe dry fuels such as custard powder. Now, this would leave you with a horrid custardy mouth and doesnt give as good a flame but it isnt at dangerous. Also you can breathe with high proof alcohol but because you will be holding the alcohol in your mouth for a period of time and the linings of the cheeks are very absorbant, you will get drunk.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"a horrid custardy mouth "

Thats a paradox devil

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
No it's not UCOF.. custard is the devil's work (along with tuna - ewww!) wink

Cake or Death?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
eek

(you are right about the tuna though)

DanScorpnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Beth you blasphemer, the only thing high proof alcohol should be used for is drinking. Especially in large quantities. ubbloco

Firebreathing with alcohol is generally a very bad idea: I did it once... once!
'Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done'

It's a good way to do yourself serious damage. Alcohol burns very quickly and easily - it's a neat parlor trick but I wouldn't recommend it. I had a friend burn half of her face just drinking a flaming sambucca.

I have heard that parafin is a good choice, and it is generally less carcinogenic. Remember that all hydrocarbons will dissolve your cell membranes (slowly) and when firebreathing you will inevitably swallow some fuel, and also breathe in fuel vapours. Its very hard to quantify how bad this is for you (like so many things we do....) If you do it a few dozen times i'm sure it's not going to adversely affect your health. Do it a few thousand times and i'm sure it will have an adverse effect.

'Moderation in all things (including moderation)'

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Written by: DanScorp

Beth you blasphemer, the only thing high proof alcohol should be used for is drinking. Especially in large quantities. ubbloco

'Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done'

I dont drink any kind of alcohol so it doesnt matter to me biggrin

and firebreathing with anything, not just alcohol is generally a bad idea.
Firebreathing itself - Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

jublianGOLD Member
x
108 posts

Posted:
what percentage alchohol is acceptable for fre breathing?

"Quote coming soon..."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:

rolleyes

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: Jublian

what percentage alchohol is acceptable for fre breathing?

0%. Don't do it. I tried it with Absinthe once and it scared the hell out of me. and it was a waste of alcohol too. Use paraffin or lamp oil.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

I've shared a gig with a firebreather and ended up being paid more, not less.

However, the skills/professionality between us were quite different. I'm not saying this to be an ass. I'm just pointing out that being an artist, not just an artist but a professional, your work and pay will reflect how good you are and how good you market/present yourself. Not whether you fire breathe or not.

But surely (avoiding all questions of showmanship, professionality and whatnot) if you Fire Breathe then you have a right to charge more than someone just doing spinning? Because of the extra damage you're doing to yourself, and the added risk of injury, then surely it's only fair that you charge more for a performance including FB?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:

Yes, firebreathing CAN be dangerous. However if correct technique and safety precautions are observed you can do it safely without the risk of setting yourself on fire.

Other than that, read Pele's guide to firebreathing, which covers everything you need to know and is very well written.

Thanks for the compliment however...

I did use the correct technique.
I did use the safety precautions.
I spent WEEKS in the Intensive Care Unit.
So has...
Dangerboy, FireMike, Mephisto, Devillini, and countless other professionals who had been fire breathing for years. We all use extreme safety precautions and have all been very injured.
There are alot of variables we don't control in fire breathing...like the wind and the vagueness of your statement is not only incorrect but because of that it is dangerous.

And it is not true that fire breathers get more money, and it doesn't give you the right to charge more Sethis. That is like a clown charging extra for wearing big shoes. If you put on a fire show, it is part of the show. I did the ala carte stuff when I started and people were confused when asking what I could do. They just want the spectacle. Concidering all of the different arts I do in fact, fire doesn't even make me the most money so I don't even charge the most for it. Sharp objects and my snakes do get more interest and money. Now I charge based on content (sharp, snake, fire, dance) and time. They get a discount based on booking longer or more frequent shows with a base to start off of. But when I do only fire, I've made the same amount regardless of whether I fire breathe or not. It isn't what medium you use, but HOW you use it that makes money.

Any form of powder is frowned on breathing with. It leaves a nasty mess on the stage, on the performer and thus hinders the show and frankly, it looks unprofessional and stupid when "breathed". Can be used effectively for other effects.

I am horrified that anyone would recomend alcohol at all, even as a joke because so many people take jokes seriously on here. In earnest is worse.

However, if you are interested in learning to fire breathe, it had better be for *really good* money because if you are attempting to learn just to do it in the backyard to impress friends and yourself, well.... it simply is not enough of a reason to take such a stupid risk.

Which I am going to leave with...read the links provided. Then do a search because you will find more info on here on fire breathing than you could possibly know what to do with. After that if you still want, find a *reputable* professional in your area (feel free to PM me to ask for recommendations)...alot of people claim to be pros and then get "students" injured. Many pros charge to teach btw, but if you want it badly enough, it is worth it.

And now, that being said, this thread is being locked as a repeat topic.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK