Forums > Social Chat > EEEK!! Scared, Excited, Nervous...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Agh! I'm so scared. I'm applying to go to york next year... and it seems I've got my "non-englishness" sorted enough to just do the regular application... Really its even mostly a formality if I don't screw it up.... Altho I have to get a letter from a professor and I'm not sure who I should approach.....

But omg I'm so scared. So so so so so scared and I can't concentrate on anything and I have no idea what I'm doing and and and ....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
He he he.

*goes off topic*

Southern accents you seem to have been able to place. They say "ass" for the word spelled "ice" for example (a strong accent will give you that anyway).

The news media talk with "new england" accents except there is a habit of saying "shooer" except as one word for sure that they don't use.

Boston is when they use no r's and have the most bizarrely nasally forward sounding a's you could imagine.

Midwesterners are undergoing a really huge vowel shift right now, but the general concept is kind of high nasal vowels and the words prolly sounding a bit off.

Californians do not hear or say the difference between "cot" and "caught" but have about ten different u's. And otherwise sounds really boring comparitivly I'm afraid.....

The more rural you get, anywhere, the more drawl there is..... I can go ten miles from where i live and pick up a pretty significanlt different accent from some people........

Done now. Might not help you place a thing (prolly not) but those are the salient characteristics by sound. As far as words, only northern californians say hella tongue and no californian says wicked. After that..... *shrugs* we all watch hollywood.

*back on topic*

I still can't concentrate on my school stuff tho....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yeagh. UCAS is soooo confusing when you're foreign. For example:

There's no way to denote multiple sources of funding.
They want me to talk about subject grades in HS. We don't have those....
The amount of stuff they want on the reference is confusing and can't possibly be relavent for the person writing it...
I've already gone to some university. This is not a college. Thats problem A.... problem B is i'm still enrolled, not currently attending, and have gone both full and part time in the past... gotta love the US.

I stopped being able to parse stuff again, I'm hiding for a bit and then composing a long email to my admissions tutor....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
HS? Higher Studies?

I'm sure if you sent an email (or rang) a person with a summary of all your problems with the form so far, they'd be able to help.

Believe it or not, they DO want you to go to University wink ubblol

Take Care, and don't get stresseed! hug

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I found something on the web converting my grades to what would be equivalent in the UK (we don't have A levels or 1st/2nd/3rd uni degrees). So I quoted that source and gave them both the German and UK grades, and they seemed to be okay with that. If they're a bit anal they might ask for you to have it evaluated, there's some official place online that converts international grades to UK ones for a fee. Let me know if you need it and I'll see if I can find it again!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Well, I sent off an email to my admissions tutor and I know he's read it so things should be sorted soon enough on that front. The only thing I personally have left to write is my personal statement, and as stressed as I am over that I realize that its pretty much a formality (a chance to list awards and such) since I've already caught the guys attention....

But I'm still stressing over the recommendation. For one thing, I only know how to ask for one in japanese really.... And for another the professor I'm asking is uber busy! And cause I'm switching disciplines... I know he won't be happy about it....

*whimper*

yup, still stressing....

and HS = High School ~= Secondary School

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
In Japanese?

You are a mysterious lady. But do you mean you only know how to say "please may I have a recommendation?" in Japanese?

That would be odd. tongue

You could always offer to write it yourself and just get the uberbusy professor to approve it with his signature smile

Good luck!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Well, he might not be *as* upset altho i'm sure he'll still wish i was staying in linguistics,... but i found out he got his B.A. at York! Of all random things... of course it isn't really if you think about it, because i knew he grew up in britain, but still.... I never knew... until today... anyway he's also on sabbatical so I have no idea when i'll hear from him.

And there's no signature's required these days. I just copy paste from an emial and then they email him and say "did you write this?"

And yes, I did mean I only know how to say "please may I have a recommendation" in japanese, and least without sounding retarded. I am odd, yes. very very odd. But I got someone to give me a nice polite line to put in there, and then wound up just sort of sandwhiching it in the middle of a sentence anyway and hoping it doesn't sound too rude....

I would stress about it more, but to be honest, at this point, I have so many other things to stress and I'm so tired i may just fall asleep instead!
Figure next week when i havn't heard back from my tutor or the prof i'll be right insane again...

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

plus i'm all old for this lol, i'm scared of going and being a fresher when i'm ... well.... older than them.

Aren't you only like 22ish honey? That's not that much older than the rest of them.

Personally I think you're worrying over nought. But I know for a fact that you're a natural born fretter and no amount of persuasion will ever calm you down fully smile

Written by: Lecture_Theatre_C

Liar!! wink I knew you were american the moment you opened your mouth in my vicinity at Falmouth!!

Me too. But then I was cheating wink

hug hug

Meh

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: Cantus

Aren't you only like 22ish honey?

Is that all!?!

22 isn't much older. Hell, I'm 22. I'll be 23 in january. The other students are fine with it, and a lot of them don't even notice that I'm older than them. (does help that I look like a twelve year old if I don't have some sort of beard)

Trust me, you'll fit in just fine.

biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I act older than people expect me too a lot of the time tho. Really don't fit in too well with even my age group... might go over better in the UK I hope smile

And yes cantus, I am indeed quite the fretter. The only way to calm me down is to distract me and that only really works if i'm physically present. Hugs help tho.

I've mostly sorted everything by this point, just waiting to hear back from the prof.... smile

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
There's a guy in my year who's 21... everyone is really cool with him, despite the fact that I (and most everyone else) only come up to his shoulder... I swear he's GM... ubblol

There's lots of Grads and People who've taken years out who are all about your age. No-one cares, honest! I've moved in fully now, and am just awaiting an ethernet card so I can access the Net in my room. I'm on a Uni PC right now, and while it sucks, it's the only way to get on HoP (The entire meaning of my life wink biggrin )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Well, good to know. I'm feeling much better about it mostly except the recommendation part....

I posted a version of my email today. I'm practically biting my nails. And to top it off, its very nearly hell living where i am right now. I cna't imagine another 23 days of this... but its easier when i'm alone, and can try to focus on things. Like, right now, trying to write a coherent sounding personal statement as much as it is a formality.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
My prof said no frown He further said that I need to get an actual scientist to write the rec, which is about impossible as I've not taken any uni science courses! (Because I was told to have a prof write the letter by my tutor....)

I don't know what to do! I don't even really know any actual profs well enough to get a decent letter, I've only taken two sciencey (CS) classes anyway and the harder ones taught by a lecturer not a prof... and...

ubbcrying ubbcrying

I really don't know what to do. This has been a bad night all around.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
hug hug I'm so sorry to hear that!

What was his specific problem? Do you have any friends who know scientists? Or could you get anyone to recommend one?

I really hope that this will just be a minor trial, and that it works out. What's the next step, or haven't you got that far?

Ross hug

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I don't know!!

My tutor said: Get one of your professors who knows you well to write the
reference.

My Prof said:
1) I went to york as an undergrad and they won't even look at a letter ffrom a non-scientist like me
2) I don't know enough about you to know if you'd do well in a science program in a british uni context anyway.

most of my classes were taught by lecturers. I didn't generally get along with the profs in my dept (who are also non-sciency) and profs in otehr depts I would have had for one class (!= know really well) and are nonetheless not scientists....

my last thought a moment ago was that one of my old teachers is a prof at MIT now, and we got along ok, but I didn't like the subject matter he was teaching and I'm not sure I can honestly go to him over this either....

I really don't know whats next! Help?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Erm... Bearing in mind I don't know what the international process is about this:

You need a scientist to write your reference. One who knows you.

Just because you didn't get along with the profs, doesn't automatically disqualify them from writing your letter. I got a reference from my head teacher when he actually didn't like me at all. (I had a habit of asking "Why?" when he said things in General Studies...)

What's the difference between English and American Uni anyway?

Like I said before, you don't need to be the guy's best friend, you just need to get a letter off him saying that you're intelligent and dedicated. Provided he's a nice guy, then he shouldn't have much trouble recognising those qualities in you.

Seems a bit insane that you can be denied access to a University just because you don't have a scientist to back you up... What about the "Equality of Opportunity" bullsith?

(Rhetorical Question)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I just don't know. And no-one knows me that well I don't think... and the ones who do, even so, I don't think they'd write the most brilliant of recs.. and mst are lecturers.. and birtish-american humanities professors may all say the same thing, that a scientist from york wouldn't look at them,....

And ... I mean.. god I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. ALmots thinking about going back to a high school teacher, but what would that prove huh, god i'm gonna f*ck this up.... ubbcrying

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
No, you're really not.

It's not your fault that the prof refused to refer you. It's not your fault that you don't know any illustrious scientists on a personal level.

I'm pretty sure that the rec isn't the essential part of the application. So long as it kinda backs up what you're saying in your personaly statement, then it doesn't have to be good... just, alright, I suppose.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
It seems to be the most essential part! He's already ok'd me on the personal statement level... and remember i'm older, and coming in from having done some uni elsewhere...

agh :/

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Oh, and english uni is quite different... three years, more focused, less flexible, can't take time off, you do a lot more of harder work, etc...
also shorter more frequent classes. and more people trying to help you out

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:

Oh, and english uni is quite different... three years, more focused, less flexible, can't take time off, you do a lot more of harder work, etc...
also shorter more frequent classes. and more people trying to help you out

Now I know I dont' know much about Uni anywhere else but that doesn't sound like here to me. But then maybe that's because I'm in Scotland wink

Kyri - why is it so important that the person who writes your reference is a professor? Surely a lecturer who had actually taught you would be far more relevant.

Could you contact the admissions blokey at York again and explain your situation? It almost sounds like it's a misunderstanding of the transatlantic language barrier variety smile

Good luck - I'm sure it will be fine hug

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ubblol I've known quite a few people who've gone to both and they've been pretty consistent in their decsriptions, altho some people argue that because the coursework is more focused it winds up being easier, or because the classes are choppier they wind up covering less. Can't pass my own judgement on that one till I'm there tongue

Over here there difference between professor and lecturer is very important, and to be honest the admissions guy I'm talking to is originally from america, and prolly is about *95%+* aware of what he's saying, as his job is to help foreigners get into biochem....

:/

Its true that in the worst case a lecturer tends to be more relavent, but even there I can't get away from humanities. Someone had an odd suggestion last night, so I'd like to run it by you guys. I have actually taken a biology class apparently, "Infectious Dieseases and Human Population" (At Uni, 2nd year I think.)

This had slid right off my radar because, well, I thought it was the easiest class I'd ever taken at any level and I got 99.x% in the class. But technically, its biology, and technically, I did get a review from the (still lecturer :/) saying "understands all the material, should consider TA'ing the class"

Now the problem is the class is clearly listed as a topical (i.e. its designed for non-sciencey people to get science credits) but that might not come accross once the ocean gets in the way...

The other problem is that there's no chance in hell she's remember me out of 400 students, so the best she can do is say "here I am a science prof, yeah, she aced my class, she turns in good work." :/

To tell you the truth, there's no one above the TA level who knows me particuarly well. That has a lot to do with how tha american uni situation works, but after that I have:

A philosophy professor I used to argue with/talk to smile all the time, but he's not evaluated any of my work! (go american uni lol- his TA did it)

My Japanese lecturer (4 classes) but for complex reasons thats not a good idea!

1 Ling professor who is very sweet and won't write a particuarly useful eval, whos also had fairly limited contact with me in any event altho he'll note I write consistent multiple A papers.

1 Ling lecturer who's now a professor elsewhere, we talked a bit and he'll remember me, and he understands compsci a bit, but I wasn't thrilled by the subject matter he taught and had a more mediocre performance in the actual class I took with him (B+) but we did talk some outside of class about some of the stuff that was in it.

The CS prof I had is a bit out there :/- enough so to be a serious liability rather than a help.

The CS lecturer I had doesn't interface properly with the human world, in any realistic sense, besides being a lecturer. He wouldn't be able to write a recomendation that would make much sense outside of CS.

The last person I've had any sort of useful contact with would be the british humanities lecturer I had in my first term of my first year, and as if that wern't far enough back! I'm pretty sure I've upset him since then (mostly by being my tactless american self) and I feel very very guilty about this... Plus that seems like significantly worse not better in terms of the whole "professor who knows you very well" let alone anyone who can speak about me and science.

I'm leaning towards dropping a line into MIT and chatting with my former lecturer there, or going the biology teacher route, but I'm not really sure which I should be doing! Hrrml, advice?
EDITED_BY: Kyrian (1129381098)

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hey Kyri! Keep trying hug

When I came here none of the applications said it HAD to be a prof; I was lucky enough to have 2 profs to write stuff for me, but I also had a lecturer as a 3rd choice, and the guy who's started his PhD with me did have a lecturer as one of his two referees. Just try and go for it!

That the prof won't write it is really stupid of him, when my friends went to the states for a year when I was an undergrad, there was a prof who'd write letters for nearly everyone ("well. You can probably guess I can't say you're the top 5 % of the course when 40 % of the course want me to write a reference, but you'll still get a decent reference").

Just try asking the guy at MIT, I'm sure that if you explain your situation he'll either help or say "sorry, no", in which case you won't be worse off.

Could you try making appointments with people at York uni for when you're visiting, saying you're interested in studying there? Usually, if someone from that far away shows interest and is in the country, people will see you, and you can leave your name and a good impression, so they might look at your stuff more closely even if you have "just" a lecturer recommending you!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I think that the "Infectious Diseases and Human Population" Professor is probably your best bet. She meets 2 of the 3 requirements that I can see:

1. She is a Professor.
2. She has no option but to say good things about you, if you got more or less full marks on the course. The reference should be glowing. Also the English people should be satisfied, because if you get 99% and you're just "dabbling" (because that's what one module basically is) in science, then what can you achieve when you commit yourself full time?

3. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like she knows you that well, so won't be able to write in-depth stuff about your personality kinda thing.

Sounding a bit better today! Still thinking positive thoughts about it! smile hug

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Er, yeah, she is a lecturer tho, I misspoke at the end of the post there :/

I just don't know what to think!

Ho hrrm. And I don't want to ask both her (she might refuse on the grounds she doens't know me in any event! and the guy at MIT at the same time as I feel awkward asking people for a bunch of work I won't use. Nonetheless, I wanted to have the application done within the next 3-4 days ^_^ so the fact taht I'm still not having got ahold of someone who will agree to do my rec is troubling me a bit...

no-one will read stuff before monday tho, so I think I'm good in waiting a little bit longer to decide.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Well I feel a lot better right now anyway! I got an email from an old teacher of mine who works at stanford now. He's being as brilliantly helpful as he's always been! He offered to write a letter for me if I thought it would help (people tending towards being impressed with stanford for, as he put it "all the right and wrong reasons"). He offered to twist the arms of the counselling office to get me advice from my old school. He offered to meet for coffee and talk if it would make me feel better! (God I wish I was still in california right now!). So I'm feeling much much better because someone halfway useful cares about me. I still don't know whom I should actually ask, and neither does he. But I feel better! And at least I have a backup plan! Even if he is a humanities lecturer.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Hey, that's great! hug I'll be wanting news of how it goes when I chat to you again. wink

So I'm feeling much much better because someone halfway useful cares about me.

Does... does that mean I'm useless? ubbcrying

ubblol I'm kidding, have another one of these. hug

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Nooo, you're very useful, just you can't get me into school!

hug

Anyway, I've asked him to do the rec now. The decision was ultimately someone who knows me + stanford is the best bet altho someone who vaugely knows me + professor + MIT still wasn't a bad idea... I just feel like i didn't excel in the class i actually had with him, and as such I feel much better about my actual choice.

Not very much left to do before i can hand this damn thing in!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

Does... does that mean I'm useless? ubbcrying

ubblol Wait til you've known her for a bit longer. She says/does this sort of thing all the time wink

After a while you just learn to take it in your stride biggrin

Meh

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Cantus is right. I'm one of the most tactless insesitive people ever without any clue whatsoever that I'm doing it. Because its basically the truth from a given perspective, and um, people don't always look at it from the same perspective! (i.e., you indeed cannot help me get into school, thus in that sense you are useless).

Generally I tell people if you think i'm having a go, its really best to ask, as, even if I say something which cannot possibly be interpreted positively I really don't mean it to be negative... ^_^

And certainly random such comments arn't meant to reflect upon my opinion of someone....
I don't think you took it very seriously, but do be prepared to be called useless fairly often because its my most common reaction to things tongue (I'm useless too biggrin)

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Page: