RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1120013.stm

Not sure whether to put this in chat or not, but I found it interesting. For what it's worth, I think metric's wonderful, but if beers were served in 500ml and 1 litre serves...

Maybe there wouldn't be so many alcos around ubblol

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
But surely everyone would order a litre beer, and that would lead to more alco's surely . . . 2 or 3 beers and you would feel slightly drunk . . .

British culture to alchol is quite scary sometimes. . . . smile

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
What a kerfuffle.

I can use most measurments, except ounces. >.>

Willy - is bad for your health...

bing!BRONZE Member
i beat my inner child
184 posts

Posted:
people should just deal with the fact theres a change and move on. its all these old people that dont like change so theyre gonna make life difficult for the rest of us.

it would feel a bit strange going into a pub and ordering 500ml of beer but im sure in the future thats what people will have to do

i reckon sometime in the next hundred years theyre gonna decimalise time. like have 10 hours in a day. 100 minutes in an hour. 100 seconds in a minute. how much easier would that be! (i'm talking easy as in doing sums with time)

--the spark what lit the flame which started the fire that burned forever--

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Written by: bing

reckon sometime in the next hundred years theyre gonna decimalise time. like have 10 hours in a day. 100 minutes in an hour. 100 seconds in a minute. how much easier would that be! (i'm talking easy as in doing sums with time)

I've been wondering that myself. but as soon as i talk to anyone about it, they say 'but how would you fit 100 seconds in a minute? that'd mean there'd only be, like, 5 minutes in an hour!', at which point i slap myself upside the head for trying.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
They've been debating decimal time or DIME for a long time now. Like here for example. It was developed in the French Revolution. Trouble is, if you extend the logic to its natural conclusion and have 10 day weeks, etc... you find that the damn earth's orbit just doesn't fit decimally rolleyes Stupid nature and its irregularity.

Personally i think our year should begin and end on the solstices, and have 13 (lunar) months, because it makes a lot more sense.

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Three totally unrelated statements:-

i find beer nicer in 500ml glasses rather than in pints.

i think it's Swatch who created "Internet Time", with each day split into 1000 "beats".

All this stuff shows that you can never replace terminology or measurements. Only add to them.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
if you order a half in Britain you get 284 mls (if you're lucky and they fill the glass to the top), if you order a half in Germany you get 500 mls (filled to a line below the top of the glass so you can carry it without spilling), so surely when it comes to beers metric is better? wink

*is looking forward to the litre glasses at the festivals*

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

bing!BRONZE Member
i beat my inner child
184 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

if you order a half in Britain you get 284 mls (if you're lucky and they fill the glass to the top), if you order a half in Germany you get 500 mls (filled to a line below the top of the glass so you can carry it without spilling), so surely when it comes to beers metric is better? wink

i bet your one of those annoying people who asks for their pint in a straight glass with no head so as to maximise the amount of beer in the glass :P

--the spark what lit the flame which started the fire that burned forever--

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
nah, I prefer to pour it myself from a bottle. Though unfortunately you often see menus advertising pints and then you get a 500 ml bottle. I'm sure I could sue lots of places for that. But I won't wink At least it fits in the glass...

Good idea though, will think about it ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Written by: MiG

I've been wondering that myself. but as soon as i talk to anyone about it, they say 'but how would you fit 100 seconds in a minute? that'd mean there'd only be, like, 5 minutes in an hour!', at which point i slap myself upside the head for trying.

dont even try mate
if they knew they wouldn't ask and if they were smart they woudl figure it out for themselves...

I almost fell off my chair when I read this post! ubblol ubblol ubblol

hugs drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!