AstroBoymember
43 posts

Posted:
Can people really explode while breathing fire, like the fire travelling backwards and lighting the liquid in their mouth? I've heard stories of people hickuping when they are doing it and exploading. I know this post has the potential to have many (rotfl) resposes. But I'm definetly a cool guy who can handel some redicule. I don't know how to spell ridicule. Don't ridicule me.

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
I haven't seen anyone explode!
...but i have seen my mate fire breath, to have the fire "suck" back into his mouth (which was still half-full/empty with fuel). When he went "argh!" the fuel fell from his mouth and ignited in front of his face. He burnt his face, hair, clothes and got retina burn.
It wasn't pretty but the audience went nuts!
I do not condone fire breathing!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Hrm, not sure how I feel about this thread...

Astroboy - I don't think people can explode from fire breathing, but they certainly can die from a blow back.

I'm going to ask that you read Pele's firebreathing article which will give you a good and thorough insight into the negative side effects and problems of fire breathing.

I also request that people don't post anything stupid in this thread and treat it with respect. Fire breathing is extremely dangerous and I personally know of 3 seasoned professionals that have been hospitalised in the last 6 months as a result of inhaling fuel.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
I don't think one could explode, but it could be messy! I keep reading about people using low flashpoint fuels, like Gasoline, and alcohol based fuels to fiire breathe, and I am wholly opposed to this. These fuels tend to vaporize and therefore are explosive...the fumes ignite, which goes off, igniting the restof theliquid, and ba ba boom...not quite explosive by if it gets into your lungs, I would reckon you might hear a feint "pop" a guess that also swallowing one of these fuels, then getting a blowback, if the fule is hiighly flammable, could possible ignite the fuel in the stomach??

anyway, I would NEVER use a low flashpoint fuel for firebreathing...basically, get a saucer, pour your fuel into it, light a match and drop it into the fuel, if it ignites...stay away, if it does not, then the fuel should be safe to use.
There has been a lot of talk about vegtable oil, that i am keen to now try...althoug I am worried about the burning temperature, and the time of burn- most fuels will burn out as soon as ignited, but veggie oil is thicker and may burn longer, anyway, I will experiment soon.

Be safe ...don't lose your head, or you could lose your head!

[ 23 October 2002, 16:11: Message edited by: Fire_Emanator ]

Free your mind and your ass will follow!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Fire breathing is extremely dangerous. You should do a search and look in the glossary for articles before you even consider thinking about it.

Meh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
No, you cannot explode. But you can spend several weeks in the ICU wishing you had.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
indeed. read Pele's article, she knows what she's talking about.

some brief advice. If you do happen to swallow fuel
- do not make yourself vomit, (assuming your using a hydrocarbon based fuel - not ethanol based) as it can burn on the way up.. and also allows for the possibility of the fuel entering your respiratory system.
- try not to cough.. again to keep the fuel out of your respiratory system
- drink milk, eat charcoal tablets, call a poision information center.. do not collapse in a heap and hope for the best - as i did, and ended up in the ER with chemical pneumonia : \

be safe.

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I noticed that everyone in here has said words of caution, so let me chime in as well

Pele told me something about a month before her accident, This is real flesh, This is real fire and this is really stupid.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
annnnnnnnnnd now that we've all jumped on the poor guy, and warned him from here to next year....

lets take a moment to step back, realise he was just being curious, and tone down the warnings/death tones next time shall we?

i realise this is all very serious, but instead of six replies about how he's gonna hurt himself, it would have been easier just to say : no, you wont explode, Fire breathing is very dangerous, heres a few articles on it, we suggest you read up thoroughly!

Edit: oh, and just notice, he said nothing about being interested in doing any firebreathing himself, just asked that we confirm or deny a rumour....
`

[ 23 October 2002, 19:03: Message edited by: Flynt ]

Currently on the right side up of the world.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I thought I did that Flynt!

"I don't think people can explode...."

"read Pele's firebreathing article which will give you a good and thorough insight into the negative side effects and problems of fire breathing"

am i a bad mod? am I too mean?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Nooooooo flash honey, yours was good
tis just the five or so people that jumped in after you that said exactly the same thing....

while i realise they had valid points, its not like the guy was saying, hey i want to try to make myself internally combust....

`
i think you are a great mod Flash, i have a lot of respect for Mods, having been one myself, i know its often hard to know where to draw the line, but honestly, HoP is the NICEST bestest site i've ever been on, and i think you guys do an awesome job....

have i sucked up enuff yet mistress? heheheeh

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
hrmmm... i think it's just a bit hard (for myself anyway) to be light-hearted on a topic as serious as firebreathing.. It's a potentially life-threatening activity, so that's how i treat it. Sorry if it came out as condescending or anything.

It's all good!! *smiles*

[ 23 October 2002, 19:35: Message edited by: falloutboy ]

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Oh dear....
i think maybe next time i should just keep my mouth shut....

Callanmember
26 posts

Posted:
hey,
i have tried fire breathng about twice,
its not that hard if you only start with a little bit of fuel in your mouth.
+ you are less likely to light your face on fire, or your mouth.

i think it looks great, but it taste like crap and would take a lot of skill to get a massive flame

c ya
callan

The early bird may get the worm,But the second mouse gets the cheese!

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
hmmmm and this would be the part where i jump in and be the big protective type.....

Callan, you may want to read the articles on Fire Breathing on the site, There are links to them earlier in this thread. Fire Breathing is very dangerous..... `

sammember
32 posts

Posted:
OK, so mayby i shouldn't argue with my mum over this issue..... she is right and i wont attempt fire breathing

for i while any way

sam

Callanmember
26 posts

Posted:
thankz flynt,
i know it is dangerous. i oractised with water 4 a while, and i did it with my brother, and we had towels next to us ready, and we where next to the pool
thankz for telling me though. i would have looked at the site, but i hadnt heard of it!

c ya
callan

The early bird may get the worm,But the second mouse gets the cheese!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Just be aware that there is no safe way to do it. There are safer ways (like not gargling the fuel & spitting it at people), but nothing is entorely safe. There is always a chance you will ingest chemicals, no matter how experienced you are. And you will always absorb through the tissue in your mouth, the fuel that you hold there.

So if you do choose to firebreathe, and it is a choice, make sure you realise and accept that it is dangerous.

That being said, I did have these mental images of combusting cartoon firebreathers, like Warner Bros cartoons, that were very amusing.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
oh yeah?
nice twirlers don't spit

*wishes he hadn't said that...*
I'd like to have the previous statement stricken from the record, your honour.
what? I'm not wearing pants?
*runs*

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

iluminaryfaeriemember
89 posts

Posted:
lol @ bender.... and astroboy..
*hugs* for both of you.. good show

orangu-funking-tan