boardiesBRONZE Member
40 posts

Posted:
Not sure if anyone can help me out there…. I’m going a bit poi crazy and I’m pretty damned bruised too! Started poiing a few weeks ago and am stuck on a really basic move! I’ve managed Fountains and behind the back backwards weave and stuff but am totally incapable of doing a parallel shoulder reel! I can do parallel and split timing hip reels and I can do spilt timing shoulder reels and I can do shoulder reels both ways when I’m only using one poi. But put the poi together and try and attempt to have both poi going over my shoulders and behind my back at the same time and I just smack myself in the back of the head/neck/back or they get all tangled! Ahem… I think it’s all out now…. I know it’s something to do with doing different things with your hands at the same time and keeping them the same distance apart and keeping your hands by your ears (?)… but if anyone has any tips I would be forever indebted to you!
Thanks,

Boardies.

DixieGOLD Member
old hand
740 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol
Sorry matey, I've been going nuts over the same problem for a while now.
Strangely enough though after ignoring reels for a month it generally comes together when I want it to now.

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
start out with the chasing the sun. you can find it in the tutorials page on this site. then it should be quite easy....
another way to aproaching could be doing in-time weaves (2,3,4 and 5 beats) ... I find it a quite good exercise to NOT tangle up poi

good luck!

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
If it's parallel (same time) then your hands will be doing the same thing at the same time, one by each shoulder smile

Can you do the windmill? That's near-enough a split-time shoulder reel that if you can do that then you should be able to get from there to what you're after...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

boardiesBRONZE Member
40 posts

Posted:
Yeah I can do the windmill - but start trying to do them at the same time rather than spintime and my hands and arms start a whole new life of their own! I though my hands aren't doing the same thing 'cos one is spinning an outer circle and one is spinning an inner circle? I'm so confused! But thanks for the tips - cannot WAIT to get out of this godforsaken office, grab a bruceski or 11 and poi in the sun for a few hours. xxx.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Nope, both poi will be on the same side of your body at the same time - either both behind your shoulders or both in front.

boardiesBRONZE Member
40 posts

Posted:
Yeah both behind or in front but as in because you begin by spinning circles in front of your body in the same direction, one is an outer circle and one is an inner circle so your hands are spinning different circles. Unlike for example the butterfly when you are spinning both outer or both inner.

hey spiralx - where abouts in London?

xxx.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Currently living in "sunny" Tottenham... Why? smile

boardiesBRONZE Member
40 posts

Posted:
tryna move down to london as we speak and getting some ideas on good areas..... and any groups of poisters down there?

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Not around where I am... as long as you're near the tube or have decent buses it shouldn't matter whereabouts you are smile

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
It tok me a while to get parallell shoulder reels too.. but it just came eventually. Concentrate on the outwards-circling hand, and go very slowly. Then enjoy the please of doing the same move in the other direction, where your weak hand gets to do the hard work.. :s

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
I had exactly the same thing wheni first started learning.
I found watching my reflection helped alot because i could see where my hands had to go. Eventually you just learn the movement. smile