Forums > Help! > How much to charge?

Login/Join to Participate

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
Recently, my college approached me about performing for a luau thats going to happen on our spring weekend (BIG weekend) and they asked me to name a price.

Any input as to what people usually perform for, how long to perform for a certain price, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Take the cost to you and the minimum you're willing to earn, they try to work out what they can pay and meet in the middle somewhere. I've never performed, but I did work self employed for a while so I guess it's the same thing. It might be worth working out a fixed price list though, so people can be sure you're not scaming them or anything.

I wouldn't work for less than £10 (about US$16?) and hour, but as I say, I've not done performance.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
What will you be playing with

Fire? Socks? Glosticks? Other glowey stuff?

Cos Ive done work with friends on here. and we charged £100 per person, for 30 mins work each I believe.

smile

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
That's my minimum rate as well ($100). If I'm doing fire though, I request that there are at least 3 people each at $100 per 30 minutes, or have a dedicated safety person that gets paid as well. The fee goes up if it is just to be me for 30 minutes as well as what they'd like me to do for them.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
Thanks a lot guys. I will be doing fire and will have one dedicated safety, so $100 for the both of us? thats about what i was thinking.

thanks a lot

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
have a goo one whiffle biggrin wave

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

About £100 per person, usually two minimum, slightly more if just me, although this includes set up and breakdown time, typically just over an hours work, we cover just about most of the major fire arts, except juggling. This also includes additional time incured for site inspection, risk assesments, safety arrangements, associated paper trail(s), additional rehearsal time if the client requires something 'different', where work is choreographed to music, we charge extra if we have to supply PA services etc.

mark

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Check with other performers in your area to see what the base minimum is. Check with jugglers, magicians and the like, since we all get lumped together.

Many charge based on time, and most places I know it's between $80 and $100/15 minutes. The more time purchased the less/minute the average is because the less hassle you have to go through (meaning you don't have to costume and gear up for 15 minutes and then get out of it, it is more worth it for an hour, etc.)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pyromaniaSILVER Member
92 posts

Posted:
I usualy preform for about $10 an hour plus kero costs

"as you journey through life take a moment to stop and think about the other fellow.....He might be plotting something" Hagar the Horrible

"GIMMIE A BAG OF JELLY BEANS OR I'LL BITE YOUR KNEECAPS" The King Of Id

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: pyromania

I usualy preform for about $10 an hour plus kero costs

Which is waaaaaay less than what you should be charging, and low enough that it might tick other performers off in your area.
It is also not enough to cover insurance in any place that I know, so I am curious where you get your performance insurance from?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
if you find them bargaining you down more than you want to go then wait to ask for your expenses until last.

think of fuel, costume, travel food and a few free drinks smile

and good luck smile

Love is the law.