SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
i guess this is a question primarily to Malcolm but i am really curious to see what length of chain other people use; basically i have been checking Malcolm's shop out and quite fancied the Pure flame sets but to my amazement i saw that there are available in cable lengths of 67cm or 77cm - i don't know if this includes the heads too but in any case without thinking about it too much it looks way too long for inside circles...ok i like to use relatively short strings but i don't think i could manage to do a cockscrew for example with a 67cm long cable without burning myself (or getting really close)... i am a bit surprised since i am 5'11" so i can't blame my arm length or anything...so it must be either that 67cm/77cm is too long for any safe inside circles or that i am doing something wrong when doing the moves - how on earth do women cope with that length? (usually need shorter chains)...one thing that i can think of is that i am not leaning forwards enough when doing the moves, but then again i don't think it would give me much more length...something else i've noticed on the instructional videos is that e.g. for cockscrew, the bottom circle is done at knee height or above but certainly below the waist - my Poi rotate between my hands and my stomach more or less, but i seem to do it much faster than the videos usually and i would imagine that doing it faster will definitely make the bottom circle come nearer your stomach - oh and before you start making jokes, i don't have a huge beer belly either wink so that's not the reason... i am not experienced with fire so maybe a lot of people that do fire don't do a lot of inside circles and swinging close to the body - is that the reason those sets are quite long? or is 67cm-77cm not considered to be long confusedthanx and happy swinging,Simos

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
just before i start how come you are a senior member?i am sitting here with a ruler and tring to imagine it twice as long and a bit more. it doesnt really seem THAT long. it isnt short but more that feasible. 77 does seem long. i have a set of long chains which are also pretty heavy (not good) and you do need to lean forward for corkscews. i also have a short pair of wires which i dont think i have to lean forward for but i made they wicks which are dead long with 2 different rolls of wick on so that makes them longer i guess.i did try a set a friend had which were really long and look amazing for all the weaves. when doing corkscrews you have to do this sort of bopping action. (weird).i dont know about others but everyone i know does a mix of lots of different tricks and everyone definitely does corkscrews with fire. i think (correct me if im wrong) that malcom does poi to personal specifications so i think you should go with whatever you feel comfortable. i did hear some rumor about someone able to do butterfly and then intead of behind the head go under their legs (whilst doing the splits) roll over and end up doing the butterfly over themselves whilst lying on their back and then do the weave to stand up. i have looked at this and can only conclude that (a) the person is female (b) they had REALLY short poi. (c) they are completely double jointed.so anyway personal preference.oh and if anyone out there can do the move i described please tell me how.just measured my long ones and they are 75cm from end of the handle to end of the wick(ie the full length)------------------ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i like really short chains. mine are 14 inches not including handles or heads. my second preference is 18 inch chains, movement is more flowy, but some tricks can't be done with them. however the grand way around this: long chains and then quickly spiral them up to the legnth you want while twirling to do tricks where shorter chains are needed.

Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
from tip to tip my poi are 60 cm or nearly 24 inches long. the way that i worked this out when i made them was to make it so that when i am holding the handle the whole length is about 5-10 cm or 2-4 inches shorter than the length of my arm when stretched along the inside. i find this a comfortable length. i havent yet tried longer chains yet though. i have not used fire yet as i have not been doing poi for long. so the length i give above includes glo sticks. however when i make a set of fire poi i will be making them to the same length. Rain.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I actually have a small business selling fire equipment (https://www.fire-gear.com), and always custom-size the chains/cables for my customers. I tell them to use the following formula for figuring the *maximum* reasonable length:Hold your arm out in front of you (without stretching) and have a friend measure you from the base of your index finger back to your chest. Take this number and subtract the following: 3" (7.5 cm) for the finger-noose overhang, 4-5" (10-13 cm) for the length of the wick, and 1-2" (3-6 cm) just to be safe. Most of my customers seem to request chains that are at this maximum length, which strikes me as interesting, because many of the best twirlers (at least among those I've seen) seem to prefer shorter chains.Just for fun, I made some cables that are about 100 cm long. Twirling these is a real trip. They can get going *really* fast, and are kinda scary.[This message has been edited by adamrice (edited 24 December 2000).]

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
My chains for burning are variable length (I just loop them back onto the keyrings to adjust them), but fully extended, they're about 85cm or more. I like 'em big. I don;t do much corkscrew action anyways, so i don;t really need them short. My practice rope poi are probably 75cm, and seem pretty stubby compared to the real thing. Besides, you can always loop them over your hands a couple of times while you;re spinning to shorten them. This looks prett cool too, especially if you only do it to one so you get two different sized circles going.burn on.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Don't get me wrong, i think long chains are really cool too (first Poi i made was over 1m in length and i liked it a lot); i just converted to shorter lengths for practical reasons: can do more moves with them (inside circles etc), it's easier to dance with them in a crowdy place with not enough space, it's easier to spin faster (helps keep up with trancy beats) and when i screw up they don't get so badly tangled up (i can nearly get swinging again before anyone notices what happened) and finally i can still do bigger circles (eg when doing the weave) by moving my hands in small circles too thus effectively adding to the overall radius of the circls,i measured my chains and they are 54cm long from my finger to the far end of the glowstick...i reckon i that's the maximum length i am gonna feel comfortable with for a fire set, although i am not really mad about inside circles, it's always nice to have the option,happy swinging,Simos

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
My chains are 16 inches long plus a 4 inch wick.... And being a relatively small female- yes, one DOES need to lean forward a bit to do corkscrews... This is a very cool site. Wish I'd found people like you guys about when I was trying to learn... Most of the people I've ever met that twirl fire, act like they're in some sort of secret society, and if they ever stoop to teaching another, they'll be KILLED.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I use Two set for two reasons. I have a set that are about 2 feet (24 inches) tip to toe for those flowy fun tricks...around the body and around Prometheus' body (he stands in front of me...I do the butterfly and such around his body, behind his back.) I also have short ones (no I don't use the wind-up method to shorten them for fear of them elongating...unravelling off my hand).I use my short poi for my under the leg, rolling on the floor, jumping in the middle of a flaming jump rope, inside twirls kinda things. They are 18 inches top to bottom.Hope this helps...though I am tired from the weekend performances and can't figure the conversions right now. Take care!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I just bought some fire poi (and fab they are too - cheers Malcolm). They are 60cm in overall length which seems just perfect for swinging. They are far easier to swing than my non-fire Poi which are quite long and I was worried about doing behind the back moves and the corkscrew with fire - I have to move my body in all sorts of strange positions to do the corkscew without hitting myself with the practice poi - 'thunderbirds are go' comes to mind! Just to mention the new Poi again that I bought from - they are so cool! They are so easy to swing and I can't believe how light they are compared to chains. Granted I haven't whacked myself over the head with them yet so maybe I won't be so enthusiastic then! Haven't lit them yet as I want to get completely comfy with them first. Getting excitied about trying them out though....Kat [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif">------------------[/image]- Danny,Withnail & I[This message has been edited by Kat (edited 27 December 2000).]

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
holy shit you guys!!!!my chains are only 9 inches long with a 2 inch O-ring on the end!!! and some 3mm climbing rope for the rope part.i put the loop for my hand around my thumb and stretch it out and the tip of the glowstick just touches my armpitthey work fine for me and i never get tired from swinging cause they are light but weighted nicely[This message has been edited by Jeff Duncan (edited 11 January 2001).]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I like having two sets of poi as well. I've worked with a few different shorter lengths from club length (about twenty inches total) to maybe six inches longer. I put a bit less wick on them, 6ft each, for faster fun spins. I have a longer set that touch the ground when held with my arm straight down at the sides. They've got, I think, 10ft on each at this point for big slow spins. I like the combination of smaller wick with shorter chain and bigger wick with longer chain. Regardless, it's fun to see what the possibilities are. D

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
haha i knew that Jeff would find those lengths too long too....judging from what everyone says so far, people using glowsticks to swing in parties etc tend to use a much shorter length of strings - especially whoever likes speed goes for shorter strings, i guess at some point the music you swing to and dance to is important too + how crowdy the place is smilehappy swinging,Simos

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
i love small poiits so fast and fun!!!it makes me all worm and tingly inside(wait thats gas... never mind)

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Small Poi are great for speed and pulling off tricks. Long Poi look great though..sometimes bigger IS better! [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/tongue.gif">------------------[/image]- Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
For me it actually has nothing to do with speed or with glowsticks. I use fire and still like the short ones just because it makes some of the moves I do easier..though the flow of the long chains looks very graceful..which is why I have a set of both.I am such a creature of mood! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK