OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Okay, I'm not really in the gaming world, but this freaks me out. A video game humor website, Penny-Arcade, has managed to get the rights of online vidoe game comics. Now, there's more than just this site that has video game comics (see 8-Bit Theater )

As can be read here , Penny-Arcade has claimed: "rights in perpetuity to any and all humorous comic interpretations and/or situations arising or inferred from the electronic entertainment industry and/or the products thereof."

Okay, so, this doesn't really affect me directly. But, I think this is a bit ignorant!!! They are even admittedly ruining a bunch of other websites with rather harmless humor (I think it is, in anycase). (see: Penny-Arcade - "I've been trying to come to terms with the idea that there are people who think we have it in us to try and destroy not just a single webcomic, which is absolutely true, but gaming webcomics in their entirety.")

To me.. this would be the same as someone owning rights for political comics. Are people in the world really this greedy?? I don't understand how it is actually possible for someone to do this? I'm not upset about what it has happened to (video game comics) but more the fact that it could, and has happened.

mad redface

~ Bobo

EDIT: I also just found this comic on Penny-Arcade's site. 'How does this help readers?' 'oh it doesnt...' Argh...

EDITED_BY: OrangeBobo (1107003487)

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Ok there were a lot of big words there and I'm still on my a's, b's and c's, so i could only skim read it (maybe cos i only just woke up) can someone summarise what that all means? sorry OrangeBobo just my brain is running on low at the moment

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Okies no worries there Will...

"Basically translated from "lawyerese", this means that from here on out, Penny Arcade will be the only licensed purveyor of video game humor." As written by one of my friends in her livejournal. No one else is legally allowed to make video game comic strips.

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
What!! Thats terrible!

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
That's what I was saying....

But it also appears to be a complete hoax too. Haha. *is really confused* And this is why you can't trust all the info on the internet. umm

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
grumbe grumble

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
*stabs pennyarcade*
BA****DS!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Errr, you guys have got the wrong end of the stick; they haven't really got an exclusive right to make webcomics, and it's not a hoax - it was them saying what a stupid and horrible idea it would be (in a rather confusing way).

Y'know, sarcasm, like.

PA are good guys biggrin

monkeys ate my brain

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well said Mo.

You have to read all the words and sometimes more. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:

Sorry there orange bobo

But what you have said could not be further from the truth.

If you actually read the penny arcade strip and the news post that goes along with it. you will find that mike and jerry at penny arcade are making fun of the idea that they would get exclusive rights to humour.

Could an admin please delete this post? i'm not bashing on your mistake orangebobo. its just that penny arcade is a fantastic comic strip and Jerry and mike are two great guys that do alot for the gaming community and also charity (each year they hold a fund raising event for childrens hospitals. this year they raised several hundred thousand dollars)

I just dont want people only reading the incorrect part of this thread and then gaining the wrong opinion about penny arcade

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

Wonder MonkeyBRONZE Member
Certainly confused
121 posts

Posted:
In which case Dokterskell, perhaps keeping this open so people can read your fine endorsement of these fellows is better, fundraising rocks smile

My Mummy Says Im Special

bounce ubbloco bounce

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Umm, yeah DoktorSkell. Hense the me saying it's hoax bit? Umm, thanks for that.

And if you want this thread deleted - you could always ask me, you know. I did write it. thanks for some clarity on the subject, by the way.

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier