StarMetalmember
4 posts

Posted:
Hello All!

I think I need to introduce myself first. I've been a regular visitor of hop the last three or four months. I love spinning with fire and I am happy to say that my spinning don't look like crap anymore. This doesn't mean it looks good yet.
I use poi with both comet, fire and glowsticks.
I had my first big show at my dropzone (I'm also a skydiver) this saturday and they liked it!

Now I'm getting to the point. A girl I don't know have heard about me and wants to meet and learn all my tricks. I have no problem with that, I like to share. But she is going away very soon and I don't know if I get more than one lesson with her. After that she is on her own.

How do I teach her as much as possible in just one lesson so that she can continue on her own? As I understood it she was a beginner. What moves are suitable at first?

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
don't try to teach her all the moves at once... I'd say show her the weave and butterfly and corckscrew and then maybe tell her about
a) the amazing resources of this website and its video for technical stuff
b) the importance of making the same move big or small, slow or fast, forward or reverse
c) the importance of transitions
d) the possibility to play with length of chains
e) the importance of DANCE AND FUN !!!!

I'd be more into teaching her the basics and gently show her all the possible directions she could go explore herself ...

did that help ?

shine on
cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

StarMetalmember
4 posts

Posted:
That sounds good! She will arrive in two hours now and I am a bit nervous...

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
so ? how did it go ?

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

StarMetalmember
4 posts

Posted:
It was great! She knew a bit more than I expected but she also had som gaps. She knew the forward swing and the forward weave. But she had never done a backward swing. I tought her backward swing and weave (it looked really good when she left) and chasing the sun (and told her how to change to windmill). And I talked about how every move can be done backwards and that there is no right or wrong (only having fun or not) .

Hopefully I will have one more lesson with her. Soon she will be going to Africa for 9 months(!)

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
Its impossible to rush someone to learn poi, all you can do is present, explain and hope that they can apply what you've shown and explained to their body in reality.

If she's in africa though, she may be able to find someone in South Africa to show her some more.. Point her to the Meet Others section on this website.