Page:
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I see ibeefy8 has been doing these and I've been wanting to expand them for quite some time so seemed like a good time to do so for anyone who wants to learn or has any tips and advice for them.

Name: Propellors

Family: Contact

Desc: To rotate the poi around the body, without wraps or clamping, around any part of the body, vertically in any wall or wheel plane or any horizontal plane.

eg.....as a poi spins clockwise around your arm and the weight comes upwards, you can find the balance point to maintain the rotation the poi around your arm, (but without wraps maintaining increased friction like the "suicide" wrap) It's very similar too isolated staff and devil stick propellors although has many more variables to control due to the flexibilty of the poi body and thus quite a lot trickier IMO.

Currently I'm up to a consistent 8 beats, have been over 10, which is nice, but it won't keep me happy until I can make it infinate(ish).

I have found that the control of speed is the most difficult aspect, once it gets too quick it tends to fly off but to slow it down can start the poi wrapping around you. Speed is very dificult to control but must be the key to controlling infinate propellors.

Tips, advice, experiences all welcome as usual biggrin hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dunc

IMO = In my opinion
ACW = Anti clock wise

rolleyes have you used the internet before?! tongue

Although I have a correction to my above statement, when I do this little combo I start with both poi going clockwise not in buttefly...sorry!! I didn't realise till I was playing last night rolleyes

bit behind when it comes to internet jargon, but I can speak German! not much help here i guess?! rolleyes

and ahhhhhhh NOW I understand the move - makes sense with them both spinning clockwise (CW right?! wink ) - lovely combo dunc! ubblove

and anti-clockwise is a perfectly acceptable phrase, who knows which came first? anti- or counter-clockwise?

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Where would you (anyone but I guess dunc) reckon the blance point is roughly? Is it a similar one to the wibble sweet spot (just below the handle) or closer to the centre of rotation (which would be the middle of the poi body making each beat of the propellor perfectly isloated?) like devil stick propellors?

I nailed a high multi-beat propellor once, by fluke, and have never matched it since- most I get is three or four...

Chutney smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hiya Chut.

It all depends on the weight ratio between your poi head and handle I suppose. I think mine are around 3:1. But it's funny you should mention the wibble sweet spot, that's pretty much where most of my propellors take place. For me its about a hand width away from the poi head.
If find it's good practice to catch a wibble, do one propellor and then catch wibble on the other hand and repeat back and forth.

I tried propelling with equal weights a couple weeks back but couldn't get anything going. Dunno why, maybe my muscle memory is only working for offset weight distribution??

Loz.....Glad you like it smile

Back on with the props.....have now managed to nail half decent reasonably consistent propelled throws/catches after I realised I was making a very simple mistake....even landed a nice clean one with a piroueete! eek Yey for warm weekends in Wales bounce

biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
oh and I think the balance point can be variable too and depends on speed and mistake correction etc although mostly it stays in the same area.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
A propellor is continuous same direction wibbles. Once you get that you can reduce the height of the wibble until you pretty much keep constant contact.

I find the hard bit is lifting the poi upward without spinning it too fast that you can't do it again. Takes a lot of control.

I have been doing 2 wibbles at once and managed yesterday to throw 1 btb whilst still wibbling the other.

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Written by: spherculist

A propellor is continuous same direction wibbles. Once you get that you can reduce the height of the wibble until you pretty much keep constant contact.

I'd never thought of it like that! Tha makes learning propellors a little like learning butterflys in Contact juggling- start with throws, slowly improve control and the amount of time in contact with the object until it becomes continuous. Genius biggrin

Nice one matt, thats a really cool way of explaining propellors smile

Chutney
EDITED_BY: Mr Chutney (1111502951)

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Oh and Dunc- I practice all my propellors by wibbling into them biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Great minds eh! biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I've been sitting here with various things going through my head and I realised my statement above was mis-leading. Although I start a lot of propellors from the wibble 'sweet spot' near the handle, the propellor isn't propelled from there....it's propelled near the poi head. (see above, about a hand width away)

Matt if you're having trouble controlling the speed try moving your hand closer to the head of the poi and make the isolation smaller but take the same time to complete the circumference of the isolation, this will give you similar rotations but with less of the mad arm swinging smile

You'll get much better control after a few practices.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Nice- thanks dunc, something to practice at Spitz smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
So thanks to the weekend open spacedness, I now have propellor catches nailed and throws almost sorted (2 or 3 out of 5). Catches are only as hard as normal propellors really. If you can do one you can certainly do the other if you cach my drift.

Chut, I hope you learnt some propelloryness at the weekend and took some ideas home with ya smile

ubbrollsmile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
95 beats! biggrin bounce2

I dont know why 100 is the magic number but it is.....and it's only a fraction away! ubbrollsmile

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
whooop!

progger

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
and so it came......at last....the pointless target of 100 has been very, very well exceeded bounce I stonked to 141 the other day quickly followed by a a fit a glee biggrin

It's also given me insight into why pointless high number targets are actually important for this kind of thing (or large amounts of time, whichever is best for you really). It gives you opportunity to practice rhythym, control and error correction like no other method can.

I now feel like I finally have real control over the propellor, can link it reasonably easily into/out from other moves, can throw and catch it all propelled. Now I just need to practice all directions all arms all parts of the bodies and abduct Elasta for a good old session (that's session of spinning you filthy minded beastie!)

If only some git hadn't nicked my DV camera.........

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
gratuliere!! bounce2

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Big congrats Dunc clap

But yes, pity it's not on camera. You know what they say.. if it's not on film, it never happened wink

crazycarlSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
I would LOVE to see that shiznit on camera -- how bout I mail you MY camera, you take the film, post it, then mail my camera back to Seattle...?? wink wink

A bird can fly, but a fly cant bird...

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
ubbidea just realized if anyone's interested, there are a couple of horizontal propellors on the infire vid... I think its chapter 2 (its in the vid section [Old link] - there's a clip of a couple of us hanging off a climbing wall and I'm doing propellors.

I know I promised ages ago to put up clips of each move in the contact poi thread, but we taped over the footage... still, I will do it I promise smile

Lx

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
can i say... slack? wink biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
up your ar$e meg!

I've now re-filmed the clips and should be able to upload them after the weekend tongue

wink
Lx

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Written by: crazycarl

I would LOVE to see that shiznit on camera -- how bout I mail you MY camera, you take the film, post it, then mail my camera back to Seattle...?? wink wink

Absolutely no problem what so ever mate wink ubbangel

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
dunc! your posts now total 5353! quick! make a wish!
but you cant post it coz then you'd be on 5354 and then it wouldnt come true!!
careful...!
hug

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
pah! Trust me to read this well after I've come online and posted rolleyes So how about an anti-jinx where all other numbers are opposite value which means I can wish on every post except the cool numbered ones...like betting on the no pass line! (yes I've been watching gambling on late night tv again biggrin )

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
morning dunc.

ta for lessons.
i cleared the 200 mark a couple of times yesterday(most iregular, seems to go 10,90,2,200,45,45,45,2,200 rolleyes)
and got poi on poi propellors(or continous suicides) for about 10 revs too

biggrin

most pleased

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
200.... since wednesday?!?!? eek
well done you!

i'm up to about 6. rolleyes

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I've only ever managed two...

then the poi fell to the floor and looked up at me all sad...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Afternoon Blue smile You're very welcome! I hope there was none of those cheating beats in the middle of that 200 wink hug I've got a good few beats of neck propellors now biggrin

"poi on poi" how do you mean?

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
quote:

"Then the poi fell to the floor and looked up at me all sad... "

Owwwwww...

Blueish : 200 well, done.

Proper-lords smile

light,

POI THEO(R)IST

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
i've finally taken a break from wibbles and whip catches and have been practicing my propellors! im no where near 200 but have been averaging around 15-20 and then my arm gets bored and does something else. biggrin

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
dunc- of course there were cheating beats. heaps in fact.
best ysterday was about 30. grr.
poi on poi - imagine you are doing an airwrap suicide, yes? well, when you do that you are in effect doing one rrevolution of a poi on poi propellor.
the closest analogous trick i can think of is the infinite suicide with diabolo.

biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Page:

HOPニュースレター

サインアップして、最新の販売、新しいリリースなどを入手してください...