Forums > Social Discussion > Crane situation..How depressing..

Login/Join to Participate

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Recently, I've been talking to several crane operators, formwork companies, and the Operating Engineer's union, trying to assess the local Tower Crane situation. I'm waiting for my chance at an apprenticeship, but things seem very slow in coming. Heartbreakingly slow.

Anyhow, several people have told me to talk to one particular company- I know one of the operators, another female. Nice young lady. Apparently there's a rumour going around that her company's going to need another operator soon, preferably one who's not a member of the union. (Her company's non union)

So I gave this lady a call..And was shot down harder than a dropped load. Turns out the rumours are wrong, according to her. No need for another operator, ever.

This sucks. I'm getting tired of my security job- the long shifts, crappy pay, the drunk college fucktards who bang on windows, hurl rocks, and run away. Of having my replacements show up many hours late, leaving me there at a jobsite trying desperately to stay awake, yet not being allowed to go home. I'm just this close to losing it.

I was hoping to make a break from this and get on with my actual life, but no. Right about now, I'm really depressed- Do the gods mock me? Why have I been called to a career that I want more than anything, only to be repeatedly screwed over like this?
My next shot will be in november at the earliest, when the current union apprentice finishes up, and then there are no guarantees that I will get in. I just really feel depressed right now- where's a cry graemlin when I need one?

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

ZimBRONZE Member
Former Raver Invader... Not sure what i am now...
284 posts

Posted:
*hugzes!*

sorry to hear things are going so shitty for you... you should start putting that gun to use on the fucktards... not that i'd encourage violence or anything, just that revenge is really gratifying n such. Make them pay! PAYYY!

and the only way to show up the gods that are supposedly mocking you is to make the best of the situation you're in and have fun with it...

"It's not my fault your glass is half empty" -Fruity Rudy

-Much love, stick in there!
~Zim

Clean for 6 months and counting... ah yeah, that's nice.

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately, I'm not allowed weapons- not even my sword:(
However, the other night, the drunk little fools were banging so hard I thought they were trying to break in for real..I quickly strung together two heavy poi chains I had with me, and was left with a long steel whip, essentially. Luckily, I did not have to use it.

I'm just getting so depressed- You know how baby-rabid women get when they see somebody with a stroller? All sad, like "I want one of those, why can't I have it?"
That's how I'm starting to get when I see Tower cranes..
"Everybody else is having fun with cranes, why can't I?"

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
I understnad your pain, 2 of my friends are gaurds to and they have the SAME story ever week (at first i thought you might have been one of them). I'd have to agree with Zim, MAKE THEM PAY, or you could just try to get something out of this, there HAS to be a lesson you're over looking here, or this would be over for you........but thats just my opinion and you know what they say about opinion's..........they're like censored's every one's got one wink

p.s. i like Dori's attitude in "Finding Nemo" just keep swiming just keep swimming just keep swimming :hugs::hugs::hugs:

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I might have a shot at an escape come november..There's an apprentice Tower Crane operator here in town who will be taking his exams the first week of november- if he passes, he's a fully fledged operator and there's an opening for another apprentice, because he will be done.

I am very close to the top of the waiting list- I just hope and pray that I get the next shot at a Tower crane, and somebody else doesn't snatch it up on me..If that happens, it's either relocate to Toronto (lots of crane action) or hara-kiri.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Eeeep, I sincerely hope one of those college boys isn't my brother!!!! Where are you working Security at? My bro goes to SMU... umm

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
hug

I wish you best of luck....

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I'm right near Dalhousie and kings..Luckily, things seem to have calmed down a little bit, since the partying's mostly over, with homework and all..

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
That's the trouble when you want something specific, rather than just amble around, you have to wait for opportunities to come up.

It sounds like you're actively doing something to get you there though, good on you.

If you haven't already it may help by cold calling companies, there's a chance they may need someone right there or very soon, and if they know you're available it saves them money in advertising or recruitment agency fees.

Build 'em tall.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

c00kiemember
101 posts

Posted:
https://www.tradesecrets.org/index.html?page=trades/034/0342_profile.html

I've just read your post and know exactly what it's like trying to get a job you really want and get absolutly nowhere, leaving you in a job you hate!
Try the above link, I don't know if it will help, you may have already been to the site, but i thought i'd give it a go! smile

Life is too short.....lets party naked!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Good Luck Amanita. I hope you fulfil your ambitions. Its rare to see someone so driven now days. I hope it all works out perfectly for you.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!