Page:
...{SAFE}..."if i jump in the fire, will you?"
633 posts

Posted:
so ... everyone is playing the word game and the either/or game and so on and so on . i thought that maybe we could try the geography game ...

this is how it works , you post the name of a town or some place of well knowen geographical location ,

for example , killimanjaro ...... answer : tanzania

it doesnt have to be a capital or anything just a town/place that you could commonly find on a map . then the next person posts the country of that town and for bonus (if you can) post the state or province of the town/place biggrin

i know my geography isnt that good so lets see what happens ... wink

here goes , ill start .... with an easy one ... southern most point of africa ?

have fun ... i hope this game becomes as popular as the others cool

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
poor old dildo doesn't look all that rivetting now does it? ubblol
Written by: vanize

looks like 12 newcastles (as opposed to new castles).

let's see, what nation is named for the world's premere white water rafting river?

i'll go out on a limb and guess it's the zambezi river we're talking about here. and i think that white water rafting is conducted in both zimbabwe and zambia. so it's one of these...

do i get a gold star now? smile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Zambia it is.

I'll deliver that gold star in person some day... kiss

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
can't wait ! biggrin

in which country do you find the source of the nile?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, that is debateable, as I consider Lake Victoria to be the ultimate source of the Nile, and that is in a couple countries!

-v-

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
(hmmm.... i'm surpised i didn't get the "which do you mean, the blue nile or the white nile?")

there is a country recognised as being the source. it may initially be lake victoria, but the river leaves the lake at some stage, at the point where it enters one of the surrounding countries......

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, for an opinion slightly different than mine:

The White Nile

The Ruvyironza, regarded as the ultimate source of the Nile, is one of the upper branches of the Kagera River. The Kagera follows the boundary of Rwanda northward, turns where the borders of Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania meet, and drains into Lake Victoria. On leaving Lake Victoria at the site of the now-submerged Owen Falls, the Nile rushes for 483 km (300 mi) over rapids and cataracts, at first northwest and then west, until it enters Lake Albert. The section between the two lakes is called the Victoria Nile. The river leaves the northern end of Lake Albert as the Albert Nile, flows through northern Uganda, and at the Sudan border becomes the Bahr al Jabal. At its junction with the Bahr al Ghazal, the river becomes the Bahr al Abyad, or the White Nile. Various tributaries flow through the Bahr al Ghazal district. At Khartoum the White Nile is joined by the Blue Nile, or Bahr al Azraq. These are so named because of the colour of the water.

-v-

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
ahh, here is one slightly more concurrent with my thoughts:

The Nile River is the longest river in the world. From its major source, Lake Victoria in east central Africa, the White Nile flows generally north through Uganda and into Sudan where it meets the Blue Nile at Khartoum, which rises in the Ethiopian highlands. From the confluence of the White and Blue Nile, the river continues to flow northwards into Egypt and on to the Mediterranean Sea. From Lake Victoria to the Mediterranean Sea the length of the Nile is 5584 km (3470 mi). From its remotest headstream, the Ruvyironza River in Burundi, the river is 6671 km (4145 mi) long. The river basin has an area of more than 3,349,000 sq km (1,293,049 sq mi).

So Uganda is the answer you were looking for I guess.

-v-

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
good man yourself! clap

uganda is what i would have said, but i've been there, and was told locally that i was at the official source of the nile..... (they could have been bullsh*tting me though ubbloco)

since you answered the last question it's your turn to pose the next one. go on, give it your best shot......

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Dr Vanize Livingstone I presume

https://www.youhaventlived.com/drlivingstone/

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fabergé

since you answered the last question it's your turn to pose the next one. go on, give it your best shot......

oh heck... I forgot I had to ask another one!

hmmm... is the point of this game to stump other HoPers?

Ok, area of the world with greatest number and density of chemical refineries (I'm pretty sure I know the correct answer)

-v-

633 posts

Posted:
shut up ! dont talk about my father that we !!!

*homemades attempt at a joke*
did it work ? did it work ?

theres no place like bastard, theres no place like bastard!

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
is it in Brazil?

>I'm optimistic.

633 posts

Posted:
hey i thought this was a geography game ? who the hell is going to know who has the most density of chemical whatever ???

and for the record , zimbabwe is the world capital of white water rafting ... during august they river becomes a death wish , turning out 5 class 5's within less then 10km .

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
The river rafting is actually down the Zambezi river, Homemade. The river splits Zambia from Zimbabwe, so you are going down both. Different rafting companies stop on different sides of the river for lunch breaks though. The larger rapids are at the beginning of the journey (you can start just after the falls in the off season) so most isn't country specific. And yes, going down the river is quite an experience...One I highly recommend at that.

As far as the chemical refineries...yes, that does have to do with geography. It specifies a location, and what that area is known for. You learn about stuff like that in geography class as well, don't you?

633 posts

Posted:
yea , i knew the river split the countries , and i know the begining is the big deal part of the river , i know the both zambians and zimbabwiens run the river . zimbabwiens have been doing it for a very long time and the first company was based out of zimbabwe . that is why we always said that that part (this is unofficial obvcourse) the upper part was zimbabwe and the lower part was zambian .

yes i do know that the refineries have to do with geographical loction , however i did try to design the game so that just about anyone could play . i personally felt that that question was projected to a specific audience , instead of a general one .

i appologise if i have offended , that was not my intention , but just to keep the game heading in a direction that was applicable to everyone ... i will try to hold my tounge next time ... smile

have FUN biggrin

wouacGOLD Member
Poi-tato
183 posts

Posted:
well who knows what the last question was so ill say the answer was swaziland

and know where is swaziland located?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potato's.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: ...{homemadeSA}...

and for the record , zimbabwe is the world capital of white water rafting ... during august they river becomes a death wish , turning out 5 class 5's within less then 10km .

while that is absolutely true, the question was, "what nation was named after the world's premiere white water rafting river?" though probably more people ride the Zambezi from the Zimbabwe side (or at least stay in Zim), Zambia, and not Zim, is named for that river.

and asking where the largest number/highest density of chemical refineries is still geography, and some people might even be interested to know that the answer is the upper Texas gulf coast - where I grew up! - which explains a lot... Most people don't realize this, but this area is one of the most industrial regions in the world, but almost no one even has a clue that it is there - including most Texans.

Partly I asked the question to point out that the game was becoming a contest to stump people rather than my trying to appeal to a cetain audience. Actually, most answers are easily found on the web, and I noticed that Faberge wittingly used a location name that would be totally masked by other search engine hits if you tried to find it that way (Bastard). I was at a loss for something so simple to ask yet hard to find, so I took a bit more complicated route.

Swaziland is basically in the middle of/surrounded by south africa.

so then, where are the locations of all the mountain ranges called seirra nevada?

-v-

Ewalmember
43 posts

Posted:
Written by: Custom Bug

Written by: Ewal

john o'groats or lands end? I forget which.... confused

Dahab?find that if you can

Nope....sheesh don't you guys have google?! It's Lizard Point.

What a shame you are wrong,the southern point of the British Isles, is the Scilly Isles.Lizard Point is on the mainland.Dont get cocky,unless your sure of yourself ubbloco

Oh and Swaziland is on the South Africa's North East border.

the calm and the chaos

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
it was never my intention to turn this into a contest to try and stump anyone. if i've given anyone that impression then i apologize and send you all big fluffy cyber-hugs & kisses hug kiss hug

this is a game after all, and games are supposed to be fun. and i happen to like geography a lot (and i haven't looked for the answers on the net, i actually met a norwegian from bastard when i was living in holland!). and besides, it would be kinda pointless if all of the questions posted were as simple as "what's the capital of france?"

right, there's a sierra nevada mountain range in the US. i think it's in california, but it may run into adjoining states too. lake tahoe is there.

there's also a sierra nevada range in spain.

(i want a whole row of gold stars to hang above my bed wink)

peace peace

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
faberge gets another gold star.

(wasn't getting on your case either dear, sorry if it sounded like it - I have a horrible sore throat and am rather cranky today because of it hug - actually, I thought it was rather cleaver comoing up with a place name that would be impossible to find via a google search because there would be so many other hits on the word.)

-v-

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:

.Dont get cocky,unless your sure of yourself ubbloco

same goes for you if you are going to get so technical - to south africa's north east is mozambique. swaziland is actually almost completely surrounded by south africa (except for a small part adjoining Moz), though it *is* on the eastern and mosty northern area, so you are correct in that respect. it's northern border is just south of Kruger national park.

-v-

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
your turn to ask a question faberge... wink

>

-v-

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
(coz i like the idea of sleeping underneath the stars. my bedroom ceiling is covered in teenie weenie glow in the dark stars)

hmmm.... another question.....

ok, name the largest fresh water lake in the world, and the country it's situated in?

Ewalmember
43 posts

Posted:
Written by: vanize

.Dont get cocky,unless your sure of yourself ubbloco

same goes for you if you are going to get so technical - to south africa's north east is mozambique. swaziland is actually almost completely surrounded by south africa (except for a small part adjoining Moz), though it *is* on the eastern and mosty northern area, so you are correct in that respect. it's northern border is just south of Kruger national park.

Technical!?,your the one using Google,I have answered from my general knowledge.I thought I was right about Lands end so I checked using google,and when I found you were wrong as well,it tizzled my tassle.Apologies for anal and pedantic behaviour. wink

the calm and the chaos

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
lake superior, which is surrounded by the US and Canada.

I don't have enough brain power to think up another question though... frown

-v-

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Lake Superior in Michigan, USA - think I'm right there.

>I'm optimistic.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
actually I answered the swaziland question from having actually been there, so no google involved there.

in fact, the "how many newcastles are there" is the only one I answered only via google knowledge. the others only got supporting details from google. nana wink

-v-

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
vanize beat me by a minute - I have a question as vanize doesn't.

A massive volcanic eruption occurred around 186 A. D (recorded by the Roman and Chinese Empires due to the sun being blotted out for about a week) resulted in the creation of which lake? And in which country can it be found?

>I'm optimistic.

Ewalmember
43 posts

Posted:
Funny,I lived in South Africa For sixteen years and we cosider it not within but on our border.

the calm and the chaos

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
you're all wrong. the largest freshwater lake in the world is lake baikal in siberia. it's about the size of all 5 great lakes put together and holds something like 20% of the earths surface fresh water. so there tongue

Page: