Penguin SvenSILVER Member
185 posts

Posted:
eek

Reverse!!!!!!!!

I have Just Learnt the Five Beat weave.
Its awesome, but i went to lessons and see the Reverse five beet weave.

IT looks like a butter fly move being swung around the body. It dousn't make sense to me.

When i try the Five beat weave backwards, I keep hitting myself on the hed.

The question is.....Are the Reverse and Backwards mene both the same thing.

Eg
is the Reverse weave the same thing as the Backwards Weave.?

eek ubbrollsmile eek

"glow bugs, to slow to resist eating, to bitter to eat more than one handfull in a sitting" toothpaste for dinner

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Depends on who you ask but since Im replying, yes. Backwards and reverse weave mean the same thing. The HoP lessons for the 5 beat are horrible.

The only real suggestion I can give you (since you already know how to do it forward) is to turn your body more. Reverse is kinda tough to get at first because it involves a bit of body movement. Getting hit in the head means youre on the right track though smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
yeah when your wrists get more flexible thats when you stop hitting your head!

But when you say

"IT looks like a butter fly move being swung around the body. It dousn't make sense to me"

There's also a butterfly weave that actually is the butterfly going side to side. Like a normal weave but obviously each poi swing opposite directions instead of the same 'chase' direction

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the HoP tuition ain't the best.

It took me 3 years to nail the reverse 5bt - no idea why, for the 5bt forward almost straight after the 3bt...

I found it's all in the hand positions at first but it's a horrible one to try and explain in text...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
I just had a look at the lesson for the reverse 5bt and i swear that guy's doing some kind of bfly move. The poi are going in opposite directions!

No idea how to do the 5bt btw, haven't mastered that one yet biggrin confused

M

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you're right you know - you have absolutely no chance of learning the rev 5bt weave from that video ubblol

i don't know what that move is but it ain't what it says it is confused

matt poipoipoi has some lovely clear videos on his site spherculism.com

you'll have to sign up i think, but its worth it for all the free videos and inspiration (links below).

the rev 5bt is a bitch of a move imho - there was about year between me learning forwards 5bt and being able to spin it in reverse.

good luck ubbrollsmile

rev 5bt weave

fwd to rev 5bt

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

the rev 5bt is a bitch of a move imho - there was about year between me learning forwards 5bt and being able to spin it in reverse.

ooo... only about a 6 month gap for me tongue.
but i agree.. a bitch of a move, theres better things to be learning in my opinion, so if you cant do this easily search these forums and have a play with something else, and come back to it in a couple of months time, and it might seem easier then. or thats how did it:)

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
The best advice I can offer for this one is, when you're moving your arm across your body, lead the movement with your shoulders and not your forearms, you end up feeling as if you are tieing your arms in a knot, but it works! (at least it did for me wink )

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Try doing it with the backs of your hands together as well... I find this makes it easier to keep the poi from losing timing.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
for the 5bt reverse remember that as your outside (the side your on) hand comes under to bring under diagonally like you want to go to the other side.. (ie. kinda liek you do the three beat) that way when you direct it back outside, the diagonal puts the poi further away from you rather then back towards you..

follow those instruction in this example..

the right side reverse weave:
when done 3bt the right hand comes under the left hand and leads to the left side.. take that angle of moving across the body and flip your hand back.. kinda like flipping a fishing rod it should cut it more wallplanedthen side planed.. but from that you get the proper motion... to which it can be turned diagonally.. and finally straight side planed..

"remember now baby steps.." - that cool bear in muppets from space..

also the turn.. if you turn from the forward it helps.. but yeah.. that tend to knock you on the noggin a bit.. but always prefer the noggin to the ear and eye.. eek ubblol

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

185 posts

Posted:
Thnanks dudes.....and dudesses

That really helps,.....but i think will follow OLI's Advice and go on with another move for a few days or so.

Thanks again.

"glow bugs, to slow to resist eating, to bitter to eat more than one handfull in a sitting" toothpaste for dinner

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
says i!!! i beleiv that long ago i have noticed that that move in the reverse 5 beat weave does not make any sense cus wen he crosses over they look like they hit each other ... i think thats its jsut a btfl that he's brignging from side to side and waits 2 beats in betweeen.................... did someone mak a mistake? eek

it must be green

185 posts

Posted:
Its Real confusin isn't it?

Does any one know wut move it is?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I think it is a revserse 5 beat (on one side at least) it's just really sloppy and he pulls the planes and timing way out when it comes on the right side (as you look at him)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
its almost impossible to tell and therefore is pretty much useless as a 'lesson'.

his hands look like they're doing the right thing but one poi seems to stay on his left hand side for the whole move and most of the time it looks as if the poi are travelling in opposite directions...

:needsashrugsmileyagain:

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
:chimesintoagreethatashrugsmiley'dbegreat:

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.