CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Would it be possible to put some kind of message/request thing on the new topic screen asking newbies to refrain from posting "Hi, I'm new" type threads. Asking them instead to use the Roll Call. Possibly with a link.

Sweet and lovely as their messages are. It would save a lot of time and energy if they went there straight off instead of myself or one of the other helpful bods directing them.

Just a thought. Thanks for your time.

By the way, I'm not being nasty to any newbies. Just trying to keep the site running smoothly.

Meh

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
Cantus always has the betterment of man-kind in the back his mind. I knew it

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Perhaps create a rollcall thread that is just everyones discriptions of themselves and not all the pointless banter inbetween. This way if they are looking for a specific person they don't have to scroll through hundreds of non-relevant posts to find what they are looking for.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
hmmm as one of the 'newbie' culprits and message board veterans a few notes.

i've been to tons of board thingies and even was admin at one and frankly there has been no board (in my 8 years of boarding) that has made me felt less welcome.

this thread is a pretty good example.
yes i know u are all busy
yes i KNOW one gets sick of hearing the same question zillion times
yes i know hello threads are annoying to some people (note 'some' i personally never minded them and if i was grumpy i just ignored them).

If i understand the board correctly this is the social sector.....so who decides what is a 'valid' social thread??? the way i was reared saying howdie if u come some place new was the polite social thing to do (but then i am a chatty creature).

the role call thread is another thing. i bet there are FEW people who actually read the whole thing (i got crosseyed after a few entries).

as i see it there are tons of members and a few regualr posters. from some of the threads i read i have gotten VERRY reluctant to actually ask a question. maybe all the questions were answered dunno but as a newbiish newbie how is one to KNOW what word to search for, what is the name of whatever u want to ask (add to that that there might be a few out there for whom english is NOT a native language)......

ok end rant
Morgane

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I thought I would not interfere in that thread since I have expressed my feeling about that topic many times and I felt allready that most HOPers disagree with me... But I feel I want to say it again.

Morgane, I am sorry you did not feel welcome on this board. I really am. Let me say it again : YOU ARE WELCOME

When I entered this board back in June, I posted a "hi" thread too... because i felt it was the polite thing to do and also because ... well... it is intimidating and somehow it was like entering a nice party knocking at the door and asking if it is OK to join.
I agree that the Rollcall is a different thing. Allthough you'd be surprised how people DO read that thread and all, more than you can imagine, I still think it is different from a place where at least a few people from that "party" say directly hello and welcome to you.

To the BB's defense, Between june and now, the board has changed a lot (it had changed allready I'm sure between december 2000 and the time I joined, I don't pretent to be an "old" member of course). I think throughout the summer and early fall, there was suddenly 6 times more members... which is a lot.
The thing for Malcolm is that there is bandwith issues. I respect that cause I respect Malcolm more than anything allthough, due to my poor knowledge of computers, I still cannot really grasp what these "hello" threads actually really cost...

But I admit I still find it hard and unfair to decide what post is worth staying there or not (provided it is not a violent / non PC thread)...

About what to ask / how to ask etc... I am sorry you felt you were not given the answers you wanted / you felt not comfy posting in a thread... please remember You can always check older threads and if you spot someone who apparently knows about the subject you are interested in then email him / her directly. I've done that with many people / people have contacted me too and I always got my answers ...

I am truely sorry that you (and maybe some other people too) did not feel welcome on this board cause I do beleive that it has some amazingly beautiful people. I've met increadible people her and gotten such treasure of information too...
If you join the EJC in Bremen this summer, you'll get to meet quite a few of us from UK, France, USA etc... and you can see for yourself

Again... I am all for the "hi" threads from newbies and agree with the "ignore" it if it bothers you... but again ... I know most people here disagree with me and I know there are these bandwith issues which I don't quite technically understand

Shine on
Welcome everybody
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Morgane, good rant and welcome. personally I don't mind the hello threads. I know us here can be rude and condiscending sometimes, but bear with us, it's a nice place really. And the rollcall thread isn't for reading in one go, it's a reference thread so you can look up who you're speaking to.

Cass, bandwidth is the amount of data between the server and the internet Malcolm has paid for. Each time a page is viewed a tiny bit of that bandwidth is used up. If Malcolm goes over the bandwidth he has to pay for more.

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Ah, the plot thickens.

Malcolm, reguardless of what everyone wants you to do, say, improve, etc. I still think you do a hell of a good job.

Who knows, maybe we are a little harsh on newbies, we all held that title once too.

Just a thought,
N8.

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Cassandra, again, you are such a gorgeous spirit!

I didn't post a "Hello I'm new" thread coz I thought I might get into trouble I read some of the board before I registered and noted that the "newbie" threads are not cool. Perhaps a nice friendly warm welcoming, get to now each other thread, for all to say "hi" all in one thread would be cool ??? I guess that's the idea of the roll call 'ey. So ummm as you were

Just please, all you old folk here, please be a little more gentle on the newbies, they're/we're all just feeling it out... we'll get the hang of it soon ennough

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Maybe we should resserect the trampoline jokes to make the newbies feel more welcome.

Jesus helps me trick people.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Yes!!! I was very disappointed that the newbie trampolines had disappeared when I arrived on the scene, (can I have one now, pretty please?)

I noticed that Malcolm has set up a little "welcome to our newest member" thingy at the top of the discussion board when you first come in. I think that is a really sweet idea, (onya Malcolm!!) but not very noticeable. Is there any way we add a little bit so that our newest newbie can write a short personal hello message, & rest assured that they are introduced to the group? (Any newbies, please feel free to say whether that would/would not have helped)

Sorry to not make you feel welcome Morgane. That wasn't our intention. I promise you that C@ntus & others who usually reply to the "hello" threads, are really doing it to be helpful, and are actually bouncey persons.

I also know that if no one replies to those initial hellos, it is possibly the rudest thing ever. Although sometimes, we are a little hesitant to do so for whatever reason. (I usually read the stuff at work, so you only get lengthy ones like this from me when I have the day off, my boss is out, or when I am sooo bored it wouldn't matter what I did;))

Please keep posting & be patient with us sometimes...

R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Its all about perception. I've never been welcomed more on a board than this one. Especially how many times I messed up my registration and all the hassle it caused u Malcolm. But, I do agrre with both side of this post, whilst getting however many 'Hi I'm new' threads, Its also nice that people can jump about and say 'I'm here, someone PPPLLEEAASSEE come and talk to me!' I'm pretty sure I was guilty of that. Still anyway, on with everything.... . Its a pleasure to meet you, hope u have a good one

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Malcolm, now I feel sorry that you'd feel sad in any way cause ...; well ... you know how we all love you and thank you and respect you.

I think it is more than natural that some people feel welcome and some don't. I too feel sometimes more or less comfortable on this board, because that is what life feels like, even with the closest friends.

The changes are

FANTASTIC

Malcolm, you rock

I also agree with Rozi cause Cantus is a very sensitive person and he sure has done a lot to make many people here feel welcome . you are wonderful , Bro

shine on
Cassandra

[ 25 April 2002, 20:39: Message edited by: Cassandra ]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
big hugs and warm welcome's... were all kind hearted people here arnt we! "didnt feel welcomed"? must be one of a kind, but hey majority of replys to your post i think you are..

welcome from me too

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
*grin*
looks like it:)
maybe i was a 'mite' touchy when i wrote that post. lol well i guess one is entitled to a bad day now and then.
but i have to say that i loooove the new layout. everything hath its place now;)
huggles Morgy

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Yeay! Malcolm Good job! (as always) It was a little disconcerting when I was on the board as the change happened though, as half of the board disapeared but I came back later and it was all good! fewff...
Most of the people here are just so friendly and welcoming it's so lovely, and it's so fun meeting you all And just for the record, I never felt unwelcome, and Malcolm is the Best!

Oh and Morgaine, I'm new here too & I'd love to be your friend

[ 26 April 2002, 10:19: Message edited by: Moon Pixie ]

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ooh. Look what I did.

I've been away for a few days due to my pc contracting a virus. So, I've missed all this.

Morgane. I wholeheartedly apologise to you if I ever made you (or anyone else) feel less than welcome. That was never my intention.

Maybe I came across a little terse in a few of those newbie threads but, as you say yourself, everyone is entitled to a bad day now and then. But I was only doing it to be helpful. I wasn't trying to be nasty. I thought a helpful little link to the Roll Call would help people.

I don't claim to have read every single post in the Roll Call. Quite a few of the people on there don't frequent the boards anymore. That said, I found it was the easiest way to find out who you're talking to. And there are easy ways to skim through looking for specific people when necessary.
Just thought I should mention. Not being grumpy.....

*goes off to sit in a quiet corner and brood*

Meh

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
*sneaks up behind Cantus, taps him on the shoulder & hands him a massive bunch of flowers (gladioli to be precise), then gives him a big hug by rubbing left earlobe*

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Gladioli? How frightfully australian of you

Meh

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Well I gotta get used to it, I have only just become an Aussie (onya mate, cor, I'm drier than a dead dingo's donger...)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
well you can knock that off then. I'm not a tourist y'know.

Katinca sent me a cherry ripe bar from Australia. Very exciting. She didn't declare it on the import note thingy in case the customs men ate it before I got it...

Meh

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
mmmmm, cherry ripe...

My sister did the same coming back from the UK with a pork pie for my dad It is amazing what you miss...

Okay, yes, topic, we were talking about how wonderful Malcolm is weren't we? (streuth, now there's a top bloke )

[ 29 April 2002, 18:53: Message edited by: Rozi ]

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Did I just see someone giving my boyfriend flowers? hmmmmm.....

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
All purely platonic, honest!!! I am sure that you are the only one he would woo with a song played on his guitar and a gladioli between his teeth

So, back to this malcolm fellow and his magical discussion board...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Not what you might call a song as it has no words, and it's only half finished too. But serenade you I will.

Meh