burn_brotherBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
Ok, I have no idea if my posts just disappear into thin air or if their out there somewhere and I just can't find them but anyway...
I'm new to poi, I've been at it for a whole three days and have just gotten down a few variations of the butterfly. A big problem I have is that my poi is relitivley heavy and the chain almost want to go fast the then wick. SO I know I got to lighten up but what should I use? I've heard alot of options, what do you think would work best? Any hints on moves would healp too.

"FIRE" *lights lighter and grins exitedly*
-Broudy (crazed friend)
"what do you do in your free time?" "burn things"-conversation with new aquantance

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
hello mate..

Im guessing you are talking about firechains.... right?

there are many different types of chain to use, with my own personal opinion of them, next to them:

ball chain biggrin
Bike cable mad
chain chain (the one like on dog leads or drawbridges) umm

So..im my personal opinion.. get medium or small ball chain.

*waits for someone to say not to use small ball chain so he can say*

I use them a lot. The chain has only ever snapped once and that was because i smacked the wick accidentally really hard onto concrete. Its great for hyperloops (use the search butoon at the top - its great for searching for stuff......usually information), airwraps (read contents of last bracket), is strong and doesnt hurt your hands when wrapped round them (it doesnt hurt me.....dont know about anyone else).

If not fire chains then a lot more options become available with string, socks, ballchain, cotton thread with newspaper balls, rope of many different thicknesses, to name but a few.

try pressing the word "search" up there *points to top of page*

and before you do...

please sont create any threads about what sort of music we all listen to when spinning, how to create differnet coloured flames, etc.

biggrin

6 posts

Posted:
Here's a specific question I came up with. How important are swivles on a fire chain. I'm using normal chain, not ball chain so it doesn't have any swivle to it.

-Broudy (crazed friend)
"what do you do in your free time?" "burn things"-conversation with new aquantance

carbon_blackmember
38 posts

Posted:
without alot of experience under my belt i can only lend you this advise.

depending on what poi you are making either fire or practise. the following set ups are good.

Practise= normal chain, nothing special but aslong as its strong itll do the job. tennis ball poi for practising. easy as m8

Fire= stronger ball chain with swivels. swivels prevent kinks etc and makes it flow more i think. if its all stiff down the end ya can notice it and it will frustrate ya till ya fix it.
make the fire poi about half to 1 times heavier than ya practise. i done this. i dunno why but i did. or ya could just practise with heavier poi so you can get used to it.

choice is yours really.

Friday night is FIRE night...

Life ain't life without atleast cheating death atleast once a day.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
you don't need swivels with ball chain, as each link is a swivel anyway - which is why it spins so much smoother than any other type of chain or cable, even if the other types have a swivel at both the top and bottom.

A swivel on normal chain is not absolutely essential, but you will notice that if you spin with one, it will feel much nicer.

I am with UCOF on using ball chain. If you ask me, it's advantages (which are numerous and highly benificial) FAR outweigh its inconveniences (which are few and easily avoided). Just be sure to get the stainless steel ballchian, not the nickle plated steel (the plating will flake off and give you nasty splinters).

Heavier poi are good for building strength and endurance, but lighter poi will give you much better control skills.

I like to have more weight in the poi than the chain as well - makes everything flow better. Ballchain is quite light for its strength.

beerchug

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
listen to ucof and vanize and you cant go to far worng, unless you like me were listening to some of the b*****ks they were talking about in kent!

guys me head still hurts!

as for chain over ball and so on, this is persoanl pref, i dont care so long as teh spin is good for me!

i just made some new fire ropes ater they are using dog chain stlye, just cos its easier and moves better

will play soon

laterdays

Step (el-nombrie)

6 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Just be sure to get the stainless steel ballchian, not the nickle plated steel (the plating will flake off and give you nasty splinters).

Thats kewl, but where do you find ballchain? I've been to every hardware store in the area, an special stores i can find it at? Shopping online doesn't work for me (Especialy since I don't have the pacients to wait for the shipment to arive)

-Broudy (crazed friend)

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, every so often you can find the larger gauges in hardware stores in the states, but the HoP shop and www.ballchain.com will both send it too you. don't forget the type A connectors!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!