Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
I was twirling with some friends over the Easter weekend and I've noticed that we fall into two main catagories. Technical (Texta) or Show Pony (Horse) I'd just like to know where everybody sees themselves. I'm a Show Pony

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
To tell you the truth it depends on the crowd i'm spinning infront of. If i know there aren't any fellow spinners i kinda go for the Dance aspect of spinning whereas if there are fellow spinners that i recognize then i bust a lot of technical moves... though i do focus on dancing part of it more often than not these days.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Fraggle.

*spotted the missing third category*

Meh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I just do the weave, really fast.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
I think I'm more of a technical pony...Does that make me abnormal?

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
I like to think there's more than just two catagories. Everyones style is completey different and unique.
When performing though, showyness and technique do come into it
But for me, twirling feels best when I'm doing it just for me, and really feeling it. Usually when there's some beautiful yummy drumming to groove to... Not that you can't get that feeling when you're performing too I'm blessed to have some gorgeous drummers in our performance group!

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm with the pixie on this one. Still say my style is Fragglistic though....

Meh

3,492 posts

Posted:
Fragglistic

Very cool word, I like it

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Just invented it.
I came up with explodishments yesterday.
I'm on a word crafting roll......

Meh

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I invite you to look at my COL3 video entry when i say texta pony.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
personally I have as much fun making poi as I do using them, texta/horse technique regardless. I'd call myself a constructomaniac.

*finds new joy in making up words*
right on cantus!

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I'm not quite good enough to be technical, plus given my american anti-intellectualism, it would go against my nature.

Plus as Cantus and Moon Pixie pointed out, a binary system (right word? hmmmm) doesn't fully express every style. We need to go beyond just 2 options I basically have fun, clear my mind, and enjoy the feeling. Hmm, I'm a emotions twirler, I do it for me and how it makes me feel.

Define the Fraggle catagory please

wait a minute

whew, thought somebody was being mean and disabled my smiley capabilities.

[ 09 April 2002, 05:07: Message edited by: Jello ]

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
It's the root of 'super-cali-FRAGGLISTIC-expialidocious' (Which can also be written as super-cali-fragglistic-EXPLODISHMENTS'!

I'M ON TO YOU, CANTUS!! MUAH-HA-HA-HAAA!

Fraggle: (n.) Something of or relating to a fraggle; a person, place, or thing that exhibits fragglistic behavior;
(v.) to perform a task that is fragglistic in nature; to frag

(Geez, where is Bender when you need him???)

*tip-toes out of the room in hopes of finding something to shove in his fat mouth so no more dumb sh!t falls out of it*

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Ooohhh, that fraggle, I got it confused with Fragle Rock (sp?) Oops

Ok, I've lost all control of my smilies.

[ 09 April 2002, 05:10: Message edited by: Jello ]

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Wow! I wasn't even remotely close to having anything to do with the topic was I? Huh?

I am not overly technical, but I have my fair share of licks. I have always leaned to the dancing side of it. I like elaborate body movements and things like that. A lot of people will stand in one place and spin at the same level. I crouch, spin, jump, flex every which-a-way, and groove. I get into it. I like technical stuff, but it is really important for me to have a blast.

So I'll bite. Horse with a side of texta. Or maybe a texta with panache!

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
with me I think its more about a bizzaro display of self-injury

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
No Jello. You were right. It is derived from Fraggle Rock.
Being as how I'm a fraggle - which was an early 90s, playful, term to describe my particular style haircut (in England it was anyhoo) which is basically dreadlocks.

The name Cantus is that of a fraggle. He is a minstrel, storyteller, performer and all round wise fraggle. He was only in 4 episodes. And, in case you were wondering, he's the one called Cantus (people always say "oh, which one was he?")

Those who are still interested (and haven't fallen asleep) can see a picture of him here.
He's the handsome red haired individual, with the yellow nose, just like me.

Except for the yellow nose part.....

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I still can't manage to injure myself as much as Whitters does, Spiral. Obviously I haven't been spinning long enough or something.

Meh

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
hehe, yes! point set and match

The Fraggles did rock, I recall having the board game. Though something about them makes me recall a odd fear, I don't know what it is. hmmm, surpressed memories I'm sure.

3,492 posts

Posted:
Someone once thought I looked like Red! (the Fraggle) I've got read dreaddies too! (and they were in piggies)

[ 09 April 2002, 11:58: Message edited by: Moon Pixie ]

3,492 posts

Posted:
I don't have a pisture of Red, but Cantus does in his last post