MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I'm wondering how those who publicly posted their New Year's Resolutions are holding up. Here are mine:

1) Obligatory "lose weight and get in better shape" resolution

smile I'm doing fairly here. My pants are no longer tight on me. I could be progressing more quickly, but I am progressing.

2) Drink more tea.

rolleyes Yeah...this one needs work. It's hard to make tea at the hospital.

3) Read for pleasure more

smile I have been reading for pleasure more than I did last year. The progress is slow (it's taking three weeks to finish a 400 page book), but I'm doing it.

4) Study more (I know that's mutually exclusive with 1,2, and 3)

biggrin Know what? I'm actually not doing so badly here. Took me a bit to start complying, but it's amazing what one chapter a day will do for you.

5) Figure out how to do at least 10 hours of community service over the course of the year.

redface Uh...still working on this one. Then again, we could argue that since I am not getting paid to do what I do and I am helping patients, I am putting in thousands of hours of community service this year. But that's cheap. I'll figure something out. The year is yet young.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Alright, lets see:

1.) Continue to work out.
Complete failure, havn't been anywhere near the rec this semester

2.) Study, read, work.
Kind of, though I'm doing a slide of sorts, its just my classes havn't assignment much

3.) Come out in academic world.
Again, kind of, though still not as much as I'd like

4.) Eat healthy.
Well, when I do eat its generally healthy, I just miss alot of meals, sometimes I don't eat until 10 at night, so that might be bad

5.) Have fun
Done and done smile

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ok so here's mine:

to not let chris control me
doing pretty good on this one so far...

to practice my poi at least 3 times a week
ok so i've fallen behind on this one...i'm a bit sporadic in my practice. some weeks i'll practice every day, and then some weeks i won't practice at all. BUT i just got a wonderful package in the mail from HOP and have new tools for learning biggrin

to budget my money better
i'm doing pretty good on this! i actually made a budget for myself and am closely following it biggrin yay for me!

to live life for me and nobody else
yup biggrin i'm rocking on this one! ubblol

wow, i'm doing better than i thought. 2004 rocks smile

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Read more
yup, by the end of March I should have read more then I did all of last year.
Spin more
Yup, maybe too much.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:

To be comfertable in my skin...
I am actually getting there!! hooray. I have lost all the weight I put on when I dislocated my knee last year!!

to stop worrying needlessly about things I dont need to worry about working on that, but I have been worrying less about things that are out of my control

to learn japanese
ummmm yeah well.. I am yet to do this

to learn how to bellydance
that is "learn how to ring up and find lessons around where I live"

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
for all of you, i am happy

well done

even if you have not strted some yet, ie valura's japanese lang edu, but J is very hard to learn, but if you learn it before i come over in teh summer ill surly help ya, and show you a few cheats to get it fast! biggrin

anyways hug to you all for doing such a good job, but rember the way i look at mine (which as always is no drink no drugsa and no smoking) is to take it one day at a time, and therefore its easier than doing it for a yr!

hugs and ubblove to you all!

Step (el-nombrie)

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
ummm well i only had one ..

to get a job as a photographers assitant or in a photography studio ..

now that sounds much easier than it is .. especially when you're looking in london .. but im applying and getting interviews biggrin

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
I said that i was going to aim low real low.
I triped a little bit but I proud of being at my lowest point at the moment

I also predicted I would regress:
Yup my inner child is now 9 not 10

lol i'm so cooked.....

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ok mine were...

I promise to be more kindly towards those who need it
All is good and I am being very kindly towards those who need it, and not to those who don't! mwar har har

I promise to spin at least 4 times a week
Started well but hurt my back so was out of action and out of the habit but now back into it at about 3 times a week with my new Meteors and Staff

I promise to attack my slightly widening waistline more effectively
Continue to cycle everywhere and it's gone down a little, I'm eating very healthily too and am now verging on the edge of total vegetarianism...down with the mass meat farming corps!!

I promise to love my girlf more every day {{{{george}}}}
And I do..... ubblove Infact so much so she is now moving 110 miles to live with me in my house and today we bought a sofa for £1600 eek I can't beleive a sofa can cost sooo much.

Oh and I promise to post here as ofter as possible!!

heh heh....no problems with this one me thinks!! biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Quote:

2) Drink more tea.

rolleyes Yeah...this one needs work. It's hard to make tea at the hospital.

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

- this seems a little random, is there a reason why tea drinking is good? ive allways suspected that was the case, but then id say i drink far too much of the stuff probably....

anyway no worries if its as random as it seems.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

- this seems a little random, is there a reason why tea drinking is good? ive allways suspected that was the case, but then id say i drink far too much of the stuff probably....

Well, I like tea. Ergo, drinking tea makes me happy. Even herbal tea. Since it can't possibly be bad for you (and herbal tea is nothing more than flavored water), it's next to impossible to do it to excess. So if it makes me happy and it's not bad for me (even good for me), then I should do it more, right?

-Mike

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
sounds reasonable to me biggrin

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, I had a large mug (two cups worth) of peppermint tea tonight. I'm proud of myself. It was delicious!

-Mike

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
im not gonna post on here. my progress is shameful.

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
There's been the odd hiccup here and there like last week in the pub and few times I've been drunk but so far this year I've not considered myself a smoker.

I still swear to much and I'm working on still working on the rest... smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
1) Obligatory "lose weight and get in better shape" resolution

Doing great here! Feel incredible, been moved up to the fastest lane in swimming, and I like looking in the mirror again. ubbtickled Still a little ways to go, but progress is beautiful!

2) Drink more tea.

Doing better here...drinking tea right now, in fact!

3) Read for pleasure more

I'm up to a book and a half... rolleyes

4) Study more (I know that's mutually exclusive with 1,2, and 3)

Um...not so great this rotation. rolleyes

5) Figure out how to do at least 10 hours of community service over the course of the year.

Um...right...so I think that's happening when I take vacation. rolleyes

-Mike

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
My resolutions progress is kinda sucking:

Quit smoking - I am sort of smoking more than I was last year...oops

Get my health in Order - I was thinking this was starting to get better until last monday when someone so kindly put my back out for me. Now I am back in pain.

Study more - I am into my sign language course more than ever and I feel I am doing really good with this one.

Have fun - I try to laugh at least one really good laugh a day and I think I am succeeding more and more. I am also getting involved in a lot more and enjoying it thoroughly.

DuckKarmaGOLD Member
99 posts

Posted:
Mine were:

More exercise - doing pretty well, going swimming most days.

More fun stuff - doing pretty well here, too: poi, juggling, reading. Cool, man!

More studying - *coughs* Ahem.. Yes, well. Could be better, but I'm working on it.

Less guilt and stress - A pattern emerges. If I fix the imbalance between the other resolutions, this should be a cinch! smile

Medusa , how hard are you finding sign language to learn? On average, how long does it take someone to become (semi-)fluent?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Medusa , how hard are you finding sign language to learn? On average, how long does it take someone to become (semi-)fluent?

ooh, exciting! i know that wasn't directed at me, but get excited when people learn to sign (i'm a bit deaf!) what language are you learning (bsl, asl, sae?)

if you mena bsl - it takes about 1/2 a year to be able to communicate (BSL 1) there's 3 stages all together.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I always set resolutions that are too drastic and I never keep them up for the whole year. This year I was a bit more realistic:

1. Lose some weight - I haven't had a soda/sugary drink all year. I've cut down on sugary and fatty foods, and I've lost 5 pounds so far!

2. Be nice to strangers - I've started to say hello more to people I don't know. I've met so many new and interesting people it's insane, and this is a new years resolution that is definitely NOT hard to keep going.

3. Party more healthily - Just because you're at a party, doesn't mean you have to be under the influence of something. This one isn't going as well as the other two. rolleyes