MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Im looking to get my first pair of wicks but not sure which ones to choose. I currently use beamers and like the weight of them. So Id like the wick weight to be as close to that as possible. I dont want too big a flame as Im new to using fire. I would like the wicks to be long burning though. It basically comes down to the 2.5 inch core, 4 inch core, or cathedrals. Im afraid the 2.5s would be a bit small and light while the 4s would be a bit too big and heavy. Cathedrals look like a good choice but Im afraid the flame would be bigger than I want. Which would you suggest?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

HeadSwimGOLD Member
...curiously lost
580 posts

Posted:
Hi,
You say u use beaming balls? If so u wont get a better match for size and weight than monkey fist heads...the 2.5 inch ones. Burn times are about as long as you can get (mine burn for about 8 mins) and whilst the flame is impressive its not huge....i've hurt myself a lot more with my beaming balls than my monkey fists. When soaked they do weigh in slightly heavier than beaming balls but its not really noticable. As i said flames are quite big but because they are round heads they kinda flow and arn't as "messy" as other types of head so they leave nice big trails. Anyhoo hope this helps, Laters.

Nothing is easy.......until you can do it! biggrin

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
overall, the weight doenst matter too much. experiment with different equipment - different poi sizes, chain types, chain lengths, and use them all.
the beamers have a nice weight, i agree, but as soon as you start spinning with fire you wont notice too much difference in the balance.

id advise against the cathedrals, i spun with 2/2.5 wick for a year before making my cathedrals, and i think getting some experience before dealing with a flame that enormous is good.
for your first set, get the 2.5's. if you want a bigger flame later, go bigger - then you have 2 sets!
however are you buying or making your wicks? i make mine how i want them, so may not be the best to give you advice.
a decent pair of 2.5's will give you a good burn time though - im generally buggered after a full burn of my cathedrals. they weigh a fair bit cos of all the fuel they absorb as well.
sorry for disjointed sentences. brain not functioning properly.

good luck.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
IMHO, nothing comes close to cathedrals

I find tube cores too light....

So much fire, so little body hair...

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Another question. Is the weight listed on the poi heads the weight per head or both together? I thought I remembered beamers being listed at 160g which is a lot less than most kevlar heads. Some are listed over 300g.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

for_my_name_is_shanemember
21 posts

Posted:
i would go with cathedel wicks and if ur worryed about the flame being to big it wont i was worryed about that to so my bro made me do it at day cos the flame dosnt lokk so big then do it a night

You're just jealous becouse the voices are talking to me.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
When I swapped over from beamers to flame I found the weight distribution was all wrong; the heads were lighter and the chains heavier, felt really weird. If you play with them without lighting for a while they won't feel so odd any more. I really would not recommend swapping the chain that comes with them for a lighter one unless the links are fully enclosed, which the majority that you buy commercially are not; there's not a lot of point in the safety link if it's the chain itself that's attached itself to your hair.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.