Forums > Help! > Question on practicing fire breathing

Login/Join to Participate

Aishmember
38 posts

Posted:
Currrently I'm practicing fire breathing using water. I get an okay mist but some water will ALWAYS run down my chin. Is the whole technique NOT getting fuel ANYWHERE but the mist, or is it okay if a little fuel runs down my chin? I read ALOT on breathing and noones ever mentioned this.

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. W. B. Yeats

WintermuteLost in the world but loving it :)
119 posts

Posted:
Its a personal thing I'd say, I sometimes get a little on my chin but it usually means that you have too much fuel in your mouth, try using less

Also get into the habit of breathing whilst having a cloth in one hand to immediatly wipe your chin after every breath, it might save your skin

Good luck and play safe

If fishes were wishes we'd all cast nets

RixatrixBRONZE Member
paranoid of gov't conspiracies
217 posts

Posted:
hey dave, when you do try fire breathing for real make sure you have someone/someppl around you w/ lots of safety stuff just incase ok. i didnt do this but i should have. anyway i sometimes have fuel/water on my chin afterwards but just wipe it off right away w/ a cloth. have fun and be safe!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
i rarely get much dribble....but that comes with practice. theres about four factors -
1.the amount of fuel in your mouth,
2. how much fuel you use in a breath (i can get three breaths with a full mouthful of fuel, as you get more experienced you can control the rate at which you spray, which makes the first point irrelevant),
3. the force of air you push through, mb try blowing harder
4. your lips - try blowing with tighter lips....that sounds a bit wierd i know , but then you should vapourise more of the fluid.

you just have to play around with these variables until you get it right.

good luck, but take care.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually, it is covered several times in old threads here. There are dozens of threads about this topic, and I have written 2 articles available here on HoP about it. Dribble is also covered on Mephisto's webpage on fire eating and breathing basics.

I agree with Dentrassi. I encourage you to use less water and use a greater push of air..which if you perse your lips small enough should create a larger vibration resulting in greater aspiration.

Please, Please, Please be careful and make sure you are fully aware of all the negative effects breathing can have. Remember it is not an if you will get injured/ill but when.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i dont fire breath but a friend of mine was trying to teach me and recommended after you can mist well with water to practise with flat coke as it mists more like citronella oil than water so you get a better idea of how good u r (assuming thats what you breath with)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Aishmember
38 posts

Posted:
Sounds GOod!
Thanx Everyone!

Non-Https Image Link

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. W. B. Yeats

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Or you could go for the much safer option & use custard powder!!

It works a treat & once your done pour some hot water in your mouth & some pie & voila: you have dessert too

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
are you trying to say that custard powder will ignite when you breathe it? LOL Quality.

(Dav runs to tesco to buy a huge box of custard poweder to give it a go.)

Is there any other silly things that i can use instead of fuel. I really feel like vommiting every time i put the parafin in my mouth.

I have tried using one of those little spray bottles (the ones you water plants etc with) and that works a treat. Its cool when ever you put it between your legs pointing behind you and pretend to fart and ignite it. Quality flame hahaha

Be Good, and if you DONT be Good, Buy a Pram!

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
tried custard powder last night and it was pretty cool. No bad taste except afterwards when i had thick lumps of custard in my mouth. I had to run inside and get a bottle of water to wash it out. hahaha

Be Good, and if you DONT be Good, Buy a Pram!

dR pSYcHoSILVER Member
88 posts

Posted:
My experience is that it takes a wee while too meister the whole vapourising H20 effectively but I found it was much easier when I eventually switched to lighter fluid/paraffin (since it is far more volatile it vapourises more effectively).. However the above advice is spot on.. Wipe chin, make sure you can do it right be4 you try, and personal favourite is wet bandanna.. Hair burns soooooo easily and it's not nice...

- Play safe, burn a friend

taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco Damn those MexICan BANdits taco taco taco taco TACOFICATION taco taco taco taco taco taco

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I would like to add that Psycho is correct in saying that water aspirates with more difficulty than lamp oil. This is why we use it to train with. If we can get accurate aspirations with water, then we most assuredly can with lamp oil.

Kerosene is vile. White Gas should *NEVER* be used, and if you are getting ill from Lamp Oil it is because you are swallowing some, and should back away from all forms of fire breathing until you can pinpoint what you are doing incorrectly.

Using powders to breathe is just as dangerous, and simply looks sloppy if you intend to do it for a show. Clean up for it is all horrible. So my suggestion would be to use a tube or squirt bottle for that if you must.

Ummmm... I think that is all I have to add...for now!

Pele

dR pSYcHoSILVER Member
88 posts

Posted:
From Medical POV Fire breathing is NOT GOOD for liver, mouth (carcinogenic) etc., Infact is quite unhealthy thing to do.. Since I quit smoking (smug grin ) I made informed decision to take up something equally as bad for my health but have learnt from experience that rinsing mouth out after and drinking plenty of water will help.. Trust me.. If you do a lot of it one night and neglect this simple point you will feel ill next day and it's not good!

taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco Damn those MexICan BANdits taco taco taco taco TACOFICATION taco taco taco taco taco taco

RoDuSmember
50 posts

Posted:
Is it worth having a few goes with lamp oil (no flame) before you try to light it?

this is just a question
i dont want to fire breathe yet i can't even use my staff well yet

dR pSYcHoSILVER Member
88 posts

Posted:
Absolutely.... Do it until u are confident u can get it right. And make sure u have a friend with you (who knows how to use the wee fire extinguisher I'm sure u brought) incase it all goes horribly wrong... Check the thread "Help: My friend got a lung full of paraffin" in other toys... Just shows it can and does go wrong (and how important practise is!).

- Have fun =)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by RoDuS:
Is it worth having a few goes with lamp oil (no flame) before you try to light it?

Practice with water, even with fire. It is imperitive that the torch hold and angling also get practiced and I think alot of people forget this.
Once with Lamp Oil, at most, if you are going to. To tell the truth, I never did. I practiced with water for months to be sure I had it right. And when I did my first blow I started with less fuel in my mouth than recommended, just to get a small puff out to see what it would be like. What I did do was taste the fuel a bit first. I put a really tiny amount in my mouth and then spit it out, because if it tastes bad then we tend to react by funny faces, gasping, etc. which can have some bad results. I didn't want to practice with fuel because it has a couple drawbacks..

1. Fuel Poisoning for sheer practice is not worth it.

2. That fuel is not being burned and therefore is landing on the ground, not a nice thing to waste in such a way. What we do is bad enough for the environment, no need to compound it.

By the time I had my accident I had been fire breathing professionally for years with hundreds and hundreds of blows in. And this method of practice served me well all those years.

Pele