Forums > Social Chat > Lost thread - poi size

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Someone mentioned a while back about the size of my poi. (insert your own joke here) I can't find the thread now, but I wanted to get back on that. I've got two sets of poi. One a bit on the short side with 6ft of wick on each poi cathedral style. The other's a bit longer with 8ft of wick on each done tear-drop style with a bailing wire cage. Yes, that's fairly big fire I suppose. For my scene, that's about average though. It's all what you're comfortable with. I love the 8ft tear-drops for close work, but I don't think I'd go above that. I know kids who've got 10-12 ft. each. We're talking really strong and experienced kids though. I'm not saying that's what I started with. I actually started with torches, 2ft on each. By the time I started poi, I was up to 5ft on each torch. I think I did start poi with 5, but I'd recommend starting with 3ft and going from there. Don't be so surprised, whoever you were. The more you play, I beat, the braver you'll feel about bigger fire. Anyone else out there who's built up larger wicks over time? I can't be the only one. Diana

Sachamember
15 posts

Posted:
Dianna,When you have pois with 8 ft of wick on the end, it must be heavy!! What do you use that is strong enough to connect the poi to the wire or chain?? I want to make a fat set, but I am always nervous about the connectors...to me, that is the weakness...I love big fire as well girl!You sound like you have some excellent moves as well!!Love and light,Sacha

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't worry too much about the connector strength. Decent-sized keyrings can easily sustain a 50-lb (23 kg) static load, which is much, much more than you'd encounter twirling very big wicks very fast, which I estimate would be roughly equivalent to a 5-lb load (I know, it *feels* like a lot more!). Even the smallest, skinniest keyrings you can find will sustain a 50-lb load, although they will deform. Quick-links can carry loads of hundreds of pounds.With all the poi equipment I make, I always try to use components rated for at least 100 lbs, which I figure gives a huge safety margin.------------------Adam Rice :: www.fire-gear.com

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Oh, no, not keyrings! Keyrings may be able to handle the stress of whatever you're doing to test them, Adam. Remember that keyrings are straight wire formed into a circle. Over time, with heating and cooling they experience in spinning, keyrings turn back into wire and firey poi go flying. Please use the heavy duty links, Sacha, that screw shut. The ones I use are stress tested *by the manufacturer* to 35lbs, more than enough for spinning purposes and they're also heavy duty enough not to deform. Better safe than very very sorry. Yes, the bigger the poi, the more fuel they hold, the more force needed to spin them. I use the larger, longer poi with a slower style in mind. I think I will post another thread about keyring, cuz I find it pretty scary Adam that you're manufacturing commercial poi products with keyrings of any sort. Diana

Sachamember
15 posts

Posted:
Thank you both for the advice!! Yes, I agree about the key rings, I actually have had them slip through while they are spinning around, but since I inspect them carefully between plays, I usually catch them in time--although, mine are not that heavy...Thanks for the heavy duty link advice,I will go look for them now at the hardware store.Love and light,Sacha

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Diana--I appreciate your perspective, and I know you've got a lot of experience with this stuff. All I can say is that some of my products have been in use for a while--over a year--and this hasn't been an issue. Safety is my chief concern, of course.I will also mention, for whatever it's worth, that I know one experienced twirler who refuses to use anything *but* keyrings--she says she has tried quicklinks (and other connectors) and had them unscrew on her, and that keyrings are the only thing she's found to be secure. I've never seen any problems with quicklinks myself.I'm curious about the failures you've seen: are they catastrophic failures where the ring uncoils all at once, or is it a gradual process?------------------Adam Rice :: www.fire-gear.com

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
Di, thanks for answering my question a while back about the, er, size of your, um, poi. i love women with big, um, poi. haha. anyway....your answer has prompted more questions...so if you guys don't mind....whats a heavy duty link? is that like a mini carabiner? and is a cathedral style fold the type that looks like kevlar folded up and over itself like an accordian? as opposed to a cylinder of wrapped kevlar? (most of what Malcolm sells) Di, do you find that style of fold burns longer, lasts longer, or what?wow. sorry for so many questions. i feel like i can never learn enough though. -Heph

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
Hey, for anyone who wants to try the big, big fire but is worried about all the extra money and time spent to build kevlar wicks, try towel wicks. The instructions are on this site:https://www.geocities.com/firepoi/A few things about them: They only last a few burns. Different people will tell you different numbers, but I've burned my towels about 20 to 30 times, and they're pooped. They were leaking bits of smouldering towel from spin one. Be careful of drippage, for goodness sake. These fraggers soak up a LOT of fuel, and so they tend to spill if not spun out first.Have fun! grin-Rick

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
OK, I figured this would be a bone of contention. It was the last time it was discussed. I have not personally seen keyrings break. Everyone in my scene uses quick links. This is according to an elder fire spinner on my scene. Whether it could have been caught with inspection, I can't say. I do know it's happened. I can't say it's valid to compare my concerns with keyrings to your friends concerns about quick links unscrewing. All your friend had to do was make sure the quick links were tightened with a wrench before she went on. I carry a small wrench in my kit for that purpose. Other kids carry them on keychains. (Now that's a good use for a keyring. wink )If she's likely to flake on checking her equipment first, well, that's not the quick links fault. I would like to hook in the Poi Construction thread here as well and say that, yes, there are differences among keyrings. Go into a store, and, yes, some look more feable than others. Some look like strips of wire bent into a loop. Some look like they were formed. The construction, to my knowledge, is the same. Keyrings are not, as quick links are, poured as hot metal into that form. Also, key rings, to my knowledge, are not weight-tested by the manufacturer as quick links are. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. All told, there's no comparison to me. Quick links are far stronger and more reliable than keyrings. I really don't understand why anyone would use anything else. But that's just me. Diana

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
You all should visit the discussion titled "Poi Construction" - these same issues are being discussed over there.And let's not confuse 'key ring' with 'split ring' - there is a distinction.Charlywww.cabiri.org

Sachamember
15 posts

Posted:
Well, I sure have started something here!! I was just playing last night, and I have very sturdy Key rings in my pois, and I noticed once during the night, that the chain was half way slipping out of the ring...I always inspect them between every play, but if I didn't, I could have had an accident. I don't think key rings could break, but they can slip out while your twirling, I've noticed.I'm not sure the difference between a split ring and a key ring, I could be using either??? I will check out the other site!!I build my own toys, but I'm a bit blonde when it comes to technical terms...it's all a "thinga-ma-gingy", or a "cylader-looking-thinga-ma-bob" to me!!love and light,Sacha

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hephaestos, To get back to your response, heavy duty links are oval loops with hex shape screw bar on one side to seal the opening. Does that make sense? And cathedral fold is a strip (or two strips) of wick weaving over eachother at a 90 degree angle to form a sort of "brick" of wick. I thread a 1/4" eyebolt through it and secure with nuts and locking washers. As far as cathedral vs. cylindrical styles, I've never used cylindrical wick so I can't say. In my communities, cathedral is pretty much the de facto wick style. Diana

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
what length (4 feet? 8 feet?) of kevlar string (thinckness of a shoe lace) would you use for fire fingers?for the longest time i have used towels but i am getting pretty tired of having to redue the wicking every couple performances.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Melissa,Well, I use about 6' of 1/8" cord wick on my fingers. The length doesn't really correlate between swinging tools and finger torches really well. Spinning tools go through a lot more air friction in a performance. Start with, I don't know, 2-4' per finger and see how you like it. Diana

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've made finger wands using 6-12" of 2" wide wicking (same as I use for poi wicks). Seems to work fine--the tips are perhaps a little on the big side, but not unwieldy. What does make finger wands unwieldy is a long wand length--I've made 'em as short as 4", which feels fine, and as long as 10", which feels really ungainly.------------------Adam Rice :: www.fire-gear.com