Forums > Technical Discussion > another homemade fire poi thread...oh yeah!

Login/Join to Participate

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ok in sort lolli and dave inspired me to make some rope poi........and so i did, i used a 3piece platt of denim, with PVA at the top and bottom to stop fraying, and tight bolts at the top and bottom to hold them together!

o kso they work well, they have kind of smoldered and burnt into teh fabric, isi haveto sort them....but they have worked....now my question

could you use a natural hemp rope of the poi? would it be too lose, or justburn?

any thoughts on other materials other than denim and kevlar to use?

Step (el-nombrie)

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Mechhead:
ok in sort lolli and dave inspired me to make some rope poi........and so i did, i used a 3piece platt of denim, with PVA at the top and bottom to stop fraying, and tight bolts at the top and bottom to hold them together!

o kso they work well, they have kind of smoldered and burnt into teh fabric, isi haveto sort them....but they have worked....now my question

could you use a natural hemp rope of the poi? would it be too lose, or justburn?

any thoughts on other materials other than denim and kevlar to use?

Towel works well for large fire heads, gives really big flames cos it absorbs so much paraffin.

Doesn't last well especially for fire ropes, 2 or 3 burns maximum.

Always look at the label for '100%' cotton as man made fabric will probably throw off burning globules of nasty stuff.

I've heard of people on HOP using tight weave army belts.

Lastly, don't forget good old kevlar, as Charles as often pointed out it may seem expensive but, with proper care, it lasts so long that it's a bargain.

By the way, your denim wicks were great, nice weight, good to spin.

It'll be interesting to hear of your experiments with hemp rope.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!