PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
One of my friends brothers is a rave dj and organizer. He is also really deep intopsychology. It seems that there are musical pitches and vibrational frequencies that have an effect on our endorphine levels. Through research, stufying and other doctor's research it seems to have been figured out that by slowly easing people into this vibrational ecstasy by playing certain songs in order then raising the endorphine level gradually until they pique leaving people with that shiny, happy feeling. This, they claim, is why raves are so addictive, as well as trance/techno music so popular. In conjunction with E, the effects are staggerly amplified I guess.So anyway, I am not a raver and not really into lots of techno but I thought this might start an interesting discussion, or at least some might find it amusing.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
ahhh, it all makes sense now smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
That is very interesting to me..Trance music, played just right can make me feel exactly like that..and DJs are artists, trying to bring people up.. with the right frequencies, and the right vibrations..and ecstasy certainly helps.. smile

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
::waits for Josh::I'm certainly no expert on the matter and have relatively limited experience, but I know for sure that certain types of music, psytrance in particular, are targeted at the different chakras throughout the body and will cause certain brainwaves to function at higher levels.A friend of mine creates his own psy trance and he focuses certain layers within the music on a particular chakra. have you ever noticed that some music makes you move your head, some your hips and some makes you stomp your feet? psy is intellectual and touches more than the ear drum.::still waiting for Josh's input::------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
There is some research into the relationship between rythmic stimulus (strobes / lighting / repetitive beats etc) and certain brain patterns (like those when you are dreaming / asleep / feeling ecstacy)...but it also exists on a more physical level heart rate matching beats (132 is easy to maintain if you are reasonably young and fit) dancing releases endorphines which make you feel good etc etc..There is also research into the effects of certain frequencies on bodily functions...(you can make someone lose bowel control if you hit em hard enough with 5hz smile)In psytrance, there is a lot of use of a kind of stuttering effect, and some ppl propose that the frequnecy of the repetition is roughly similar to the frequency of your brain waves when in a deep trance. This would explain why Deep Trance tends to be a bit slower than the more fullon stuff...as it allows more ppl to match brain patterns with the music (everyone has slightly different upper thresholds for these kind of rythms..Anyhow - its an interesting theory, and I think it makes Psytrance sound better than any other style, cuz the rest of it only involves your body, where as psytrance directly gets into your mind smilethe cycling of Psytrance, and the repetition and the pitch of it, is also very very conducive to twirling...yum! smileJosh

MystikDancermember
118 posts

Posted:
This is a very interesting topic, and since I feel at home here, I'd like to share with you all an experience of mine that I have made into the beginings of a book. It might frighten you a bit, but it demonstrates how music affects people at different levels. In my case, extreme.---My heart skipped a beat, but I didn’t know why. In an instant I was out of breath, on my knees, trembling, trying to breathe normally. Behind closed eyelids, I saw a flash of violet. It was like something creeping upon me, growing stronger by the second. My body became a slave to the beat, breathing the waves. I put my hands in front of me. They shook, but I couldn’t control them. I sought comfort, lying on the ground, shaking. I tried to still the tremors flowing through my body. I couldn’t. The sensations racing through me were oddly pleasant, like a different kind of ecstasy.---Since then(three years ago), the occurrances have dwindled and is much more predictable, but the level of excitement is still there. weird, I know.-=M-D=-[This message has been edited by MystikDancer (edited 11 September 2001).]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I don't realy get into techno in general that much, but I love trance type techno music. (I like dark techno also though...like the movie Blade) When my friend Paul was teaching me the different types of techno music, he asked me "What kind of music is this?". I said "Its trance". He said "Why?". I said "Because it puts me in a trance" Nuff said.And I have noticed that certain types of music demand different bodily movement. I don't realy think about the movements though, they just happen as if by reflex and instinct.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

jedimastahmember
97 posts

Posted:
Music is the center of my being. Without music I would be an empty shell of a man. Looking forward to nothing because there would be nothing to look forward to without music. It is the overwhelming force that drives me to do better. It centers my focus and realigns my thoughts. Music is Energy In Motion, the E-Motion of my very existance. Without it I would most likely go completely insane.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I should add that ppl who practice meditation have used repetition (beats, chanting, intonation, etc) to aid their establishment of trance like states for meditational and therapeautic reasons...throughout almost all societies, there has also been ecstatic dance used to elevate the dancers to higher states of consciousness...Trance and ecstatic dance are a part of our evolutionary history. In the past 300 years western society has become very inhibited in this sense...but with todays increasing numbers of ppl turning away from religion, people are looking for other ways of finding spiritual meaning / release...trance Dance is one way.bullcrap bullcrap bullcrap smile(but I believe it sorta - especially if you see ppl looking at each other in joy after an all night psy-trance party - of course, the ills of society seep into even these holy places, and some parties are not what they should or could be....YAY I think thats 5 rants today!! I'm cruising.Josh

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
Im currently reading a book called "Sound Healing" by Shirly something or other..I think it was published in 1996 ..or 1994.. (if anyones interested just ask and I'll go and find it from my bomb-explosion bedroom.)It speaks of different sounds being used to heal emotional and physical problems within the body. And other people's bodies..Each sound does relate to a particular chakra... its amazing how much the excercises it describes works.It does all make sense eh? smileYou guys should get the book... its fantastic.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
I think I know the book you are talking about Splat - it's really interesting... I've certainly had a few amazing experiences with using sound as a really powerful energy tool and then combining it with other forms of energy (like light/fire?) it can be even accentuated further...

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
Quality topic,& I'm buzzin that everyone knows about music/energy/chakras/vibes.I had an amazing experience (but f-ing intense!) when I took some acid for the 1 time when in India, I could feel a singular vibe between the people I was with, the music, the ocean, absolutley everything!! The first time I've felt like this, although I'm sure it's a similar feeling as when I was a kid, and you're mind is completely open, with no inhibitions, expectations, just the moment.Most of my mates just think I'm 'crazy in the coconut' when I talk about this (maybe my approach!?! In at the deep end).I think everything can be broken down to the very same base component, all have different vibrations, so music etc helps to tune these in to the same frequency, and when the do, whayhay!!!!!!!! It feels awesome.(Now I'm off to my cave in the Himalya's, Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!):-)~MBig respect to all.

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I've allways believed that music has had a power over people, this seems to support that train of thought. First off, sound is powerfull. It is composed of compression waves which cause vibrations in the ear that we perceive as noise. It also causes vibrations elsewhere. Every substace has a resonance frequency, that is a frequency that if exposed to will cause that object to vibrate. A singers voice can shatter cups while a gust of wind can shake an entire bridge (I forget where this was, but the footage is quite cool). It only makes sence that an apropriate frequency can cause different parts of our body to vibrate in the same manner. Second, when you first meet someone what is one question that is almost allways asked? "What is your favourite kind of music"Why? Because everyone answers with some form of music. Have you ever encountered someone who truely does not like any form of music? I believe this is because music is a way for people to express emotions and feelings that they can not vocalize.Music comes from within. It can touch you in ways that nothing else can. There is a power in music. This is just a reafirmation of that.------------------'There is a fist pressing against anyone who thinks something compelling'

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
My plants like music too smileThough im not sure how keen on some of what i play they are.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
i'm asuming we'vve all heard jeff buckley

floating
drifting
fading away
how could these stimulants lead us astray?

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
mmmmm Jeff *drool*

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Nomad got me into Jeff..very quality.Love Shivaree (thank you Dangerboy) and Alicia Keys as well. Frenzie, if you watch your plants you can tell what they like and what they don't. Plants will move a bit away from the music and turn their leaves. They do the same thing if people are fighting. It was some kind of scientific study. Cool huh?Also, our pets respond to music too. My Python loves soothing stuff and will head striaght for heavy bass. In fact, whenever my boa's got loose I'd turn the bass all they way up and they would come crawling for the speaker. It was great. The iguana's loved music too....juvenile reptiles do this head bobbing thing and they will time it with music (it's funny...a bit of reggae on and you have a rosta lizard! grin)I know the fish doesn't like it loud...he freaks out!Do you guys find you are more affected my instrumentals or songs with vocals? I am still trying to figure this out for me.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Definately instumentals, 95% of the music I listen do doesn't have any words because I feel that- at least in modern music- its all been said before by someone who said it better.Too many people speak so much yet say so little in their music. I suppose that's why I've always liked Electronica better.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
has any one heard of Buckethead? He is this crazy guitarist. I mean crazy. He has a bunch of different styles... on one of his albums "Colma" he has a track "Big Sur Moon". Its ALL guitar. It is the most incredible piece of music. When ever it comes on, people just stop... conversations pause. I find myself holding my breath. its amazing. I can email to ya if you wanna hear it. keep in mind its a few meg. shiznot@yahoo.com

I smell something burning.

space cadetmember
19 posts

Posted:
Definitely a cool thread, 'specially for a largely electronic composer... heh. The debate of lyrics vs non lyrics: depends. I like it in between- in a lot of my music I make music out of words themselves. Literally. One piece I did is made nearly completely from manipulating the waveforms of my friend speaking from her journal. I think it really depends what you're trying to do with a piece of music that decides whether or not lyrics are necessary. Whether any components are necessary, actually, be it a drum beat or a melody or a large bass presence or anything. Music is all* about context, which is part of why I love making it and studying it... (if anyone wants the url to my mp3s...:P)Ahh, sorry I'm babbling but this gets me going... smile I really want to study more about acoustics and frequency response, etc.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
the earth vibrates at a particular hertz frequency and so do our selves. Keep in mind their are constant waves of silent sound flowing through the air everyday which effect our psyche, some dj's dont fully understand the power they hold within their music, but its an amazing topic. if you find a really deep drum tuned to F or Fsharp you will feel it hundreds of metres away even if the drum isnt loud. the ancient civilisation of the mayans established this.peace grin

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Look at Pele here, trying to pass herself off as the candy raver guru. winkI know there are some things that definitely kick the endorphins in me, music being one of them.In terms of the true "buzz" of natural disoriented bliss, I'd have to say that kissing, "bumpin uglies", fire, music, and chocolate are probably my top 5, in that order. Though, I've yet to have a day containing all five... Man, that'd be a goooood day. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
"bumpin uglies"?

floating
drifting
fading away
how could these stimulants lead us astray?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Old post... do a search for the strand "bumping uglies" wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

plastikgirlmember
41 posts

Posted:
Those who are familiar with the Retribalization Theory by Marshall McLuhan will understand this.After a period of more than 1000 years of individualism and people wanting to be alone and better than everyone, we are in the era of "back to the tribes"now we all wanna be part of something.think about this. A priest, the xaman, conducts his people through the tribe ritual. everyone dances to a dry beat , sings and uses hallucinogens to enter trance state. is that familiar to you?We all want to be part of that tribe, we want to take part on the ritual. We all dance to the beat and some of us take drugs that take us to another dimension.See? We are a tribe. A big tribe that has members all over the world. We feel home in every party, wherever that is!!!!We are a global tribe.We are one.Electronic music is what unites people around the world. We are part of the same group, we share one heart!Thats what e-music does to us. It connects us to our inner selves and transports us to other dimensions of our minds. Electronica is the soundtrack of this impending millenium...we are all indians in this big, big tribe.maybe this is all nonsense, but I believe it!!!! if you tell me what you think, you will help me in this project i'm writing for university.p.l.u.r.!!------------------"Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Wow...I just came here looking for some new and stylie moves...and found me a whole subculture!! I like it, and this is mainly coz I can identify with most of you!!! Where have you all been hiding?? Ahhh that is what I like about fire people you meet everywhere..most are on the same sort of wavelengths (frequencies/beat...) and so you just "click"!!!I love it!!

fe fi foo fun

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ahhh...music.... it is lovely stuff... easy to loose urself in.... it almost scares me that it affects ur mind so directly... but i love dancing... there is little that is better!

*wishes for more raves near her, or at the very least to be of clubbing age*

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....