Markusmember
18 posts

Posted:
Ive been doing poi now for about 4 months and i have most of the moves down. But i am having real trouble with thread the needle and btb weave. Would appreciate some suggesstions please... B4 i pull my hair out and run naked through the forest screaming the pixies are gonna get me

May your heart be your guide and your love your light....

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Glass taught me the thread the needle in five minutes flat (maybe even less)...

I had been trying to do it for 3 weeks so if my advice does not help, ask the master...

Ok...

First do your butterfly...

*It helps to be able to do it with either hand on top not just with your leading hand although not impossible....

Think of pop pop pop potato (kids game, ref: dom) now go slowly when the pois are about to cross at the bottom simply bring the hand at the bottom back and shove it on top...
Repeat...

You have to pull back quite a bit to get clearance for the poi from the botton to clear to the top. You will be able to pull back less as you learn the trick better...

Good luck
Much love, drome

[ 20 July 2002, 12:45: Message edited by: dromepixie ]

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

DarkInsignia Emember
2 posts

Posted:
Well, thread the needle was covered. Just push out...^____^!!! BTB Weave is either 1) BTB Forwards or 2) BTB Reverse which is what most people do...what i suggest and i know it might sound silly is to pick up some pompoms cause this is how i got it and just do it behind the back.

Normal men can excel farther than their peers. Then they surpass all men. And then, they are exalted.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I still cant do the BTB weave either... I can kinda do a two beat behind my back...

I do though have a varitey of suggestions in my attempts...

-train your hands to do the move, one by one

-dom says: try yoga it will make you more flexible

-try starting with the pois in positions at either side of the body, swing them back and see what happens...

-try it backwards as it apparently the easiest way to do it...

Good luck, drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

SaggyDmember
56 posts

Posted:
BTB Weave just clicks, it comes with time, don't push it, the way i learned was by frusteration, i said SCREW IT, cuz i didn't care about getting hur or how many times i hit my ankles and i just practiced and practiced for a long time and i still couldn't get it, then one day after school i picked them up and just threw them behind my back and it just started to flow (of course after that i got cocky and decided to see how fast i could push myself, and that's about the time i smacked myself in the mouth) owe! anywho just time the directions on the website are great, just one hand at a time, then crossovers, you don't have to be super nimble just don't be afraid to hit yourself fear has a whole lot to do with BTB weave. don't be afraid or anything like that (if you are)

Markusmember
18 posts

Posted:

Cheers guys thanx for the advice i guess i will have to jst keep trying. But i promise you now b4 the tides dry and the sun says it last goodnight, and the moon bids farwell to the stary night. I will overcome the technicallity of this, and i will overcome my weakness. For i am the man with the plan that will do what he can and master this 4 the grand Man....

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
when i learned btb, i learned reverse first, its loads easier, and also, bend way way over when you learn, i think that makes it easier as well...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
when i learned btb, i learned reverse first, its loads easier, and also, bend way way over when you learn, i think that makes it easier as well...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Yo maxim,
Get your ass to london i gaurantee you WILL learn those moves and many more
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Thread the needle:
Do a forwards butterfly.
Stop.
Now do the butterfly with the other hand on top (I'll assume your left hand).
Slow down, you're going too fast.
Repeat until you can do the butterfly with either hand on top.

Now, start with the butterfly, say right hand on top.
Now move your left hand on top of the right while still doing the butterfly. One potato, two potato style
That didn't work? Slow down!
Slower!
Do the butterfly. When the left poi is at the bottom of the circle bring your left hand back and move it on top of your right hand and back to the normal left-hand on top position. Voila!

Repeat till smooth.
Exaggeration of moving the underneath hand back and the other forward makes the move look more separated and comes with time.

Behind the back stuff is harder if you can't get your hands in the right place, but practise (and yoga type stuff) help. I can just about touch my belly button with my hands behind my back, very hand for those behind the back, belly button fluff removal moves

Practice spinning backwards first, and one poi at a time. Ideally the poi has to spin flat to the other side, and this takes some practise. Spin figure of eights with each.

When you can spin one poi at a time try a figure of 8 with both poi. Spin split time. When your hands go behind the back the right hand goes first, and the left hand goes over the right hand. That should be enough info for the figure 8.

For the weave do the figure of 8, and to the extra beats the left hand stays on the right hand side, and the right hand comes back to the right hand side, loops over the left hand and back to the left hand side, etc... I haven't any poi on me at the moment, so I'm trying to remember subconscious moves and I'm hoping they're right.

Hope this all helps!

Markusmember
18 posts

Posted:

Cheers guys you make it sound so simple but i will keep plugging at it....

Drome.. Where abouts in london would like to extend my moves if poss have no one i know close to where i am to exchange info with would love to share.....

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
Hi Maxim!

I have the same problem, I know most of the basic moves but can't do TTN or BTB weave. I can even do forward and backward weaves while spinning 360 and dancing... but no BTB... what's wrong? ha ha... As for thread the needle, I will try tonight from the advice here and I'm sure I can get it.

I'm in London as well, I am the only poi spinner I know and am usually by myself at Primrose hill or hyde park...

I don't have the guts yet to go to an actual event... but would love to hear about any in London!

Ta

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.