Page:
master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
lately I've been looking for more stuff to do with a butterfly, and have had alot of trouble coming up with things to do. any moves you can inform me of would be greatly appreciated.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
I've just started playing with the butterfly, try bringing it behind your head. On the up beat just drop your hands in behind your neack let them do 1 or2 rotations then bring to the front. I know there are ways of moving the butterfly around your body like with the weave but ???? I don't know at the mo, the only pointer I've been given is practice threading the needle. Thats all the help I've got at the mo but if I come up with anything I'll let you know.

Spike

ask yourself this??.......... When was the last time you dug a hole you could be proud of???
answers on a post card

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Understand and learn how to the the thread the needle everywhich way. That should lead to how to turn the butterfly. In which should give you a picture of what you can do. They are one and the same.

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Practice the Alternate butterfly combination...No. 22 on this site. That one really helped me figure out how to move from forward butterfly (in) to backward butterfly (out)...basically start in forward butterfly...then on the up swing bring your bottom hand over to your other side and let the poi in your top hand do one more rotation behind your back... then bring it over on the up swing....it now becomes the bottom hand.
I'm still working on how to do it the other way...

The Atom looks amazing....not sure how to do it though

Om Namah Sivaya

Debz@DNAmember
3 posts

Posted:
Hmmm My borother(Jez) showed me how to do a butterfly neck wrap, you start doing a normal butterfly, but on the down swing bring your head forward, looking at the ground, so that where the poi cross is where your neck is, as soon as you feel the string touch your neck, flip your head back so that you are lookining up, and the poi will unwind (in theory) Jez does this move with juggling balls in long socks to avoid garrotting himself.

jenEmember
11 posts

Posted:
I have been trying over the head alternate butterfly where instead of doing the butterfly in front of the body and then alternating hands behind your head do OTH butterfly and alternate hands in front of your face. Simple yet effective

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i dont make many posts in this section, but butterflys lead to a whole different perspective of the simple butterfly,
you cant take butterflies to every angle, direction, and contortions your body can get into.
here's a simple one
reverse butterfly, with the left hand, do a low wave doing one beat, with the right hand you do a high and a low wave which makes it two beat.
swop hands, try it forwards and so on.
its a lil mind fuc to start with but its easy once you get the one beat sorted in each hand.

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
There's a lot of good information along with some pretty good descriptions in this thread.

Hope that gets you started.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i like horizontal butterflies with acrobatix.
though not with twine(the dead skin has flaked off now ).

and the tree was happy.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Butterflies are cool, especially the horizontals

I've just started weaving the butterfly using the ttn pattern. I keep my wrists close together, and do a three beat weave in front, without the exaggerated ttn movement. It's easy to turn, but I don't go wide or to the side, like in the three beat chase (weave).

To me, the variations on the ttn butterfly seem more like a weave than a chase. Doing a split-time three beat b/f, in front, is also good fun

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think butterflies are actually more flexible than weave style moves. The way I see it, there are tons of positions that you can do butterfly style moves in.

Regular (in front of your chest)
Behind the Head
Behind the Back
Behind you under your armpit (BTW, what are we calling that?)

All of the above with the poi traveling in the other direction. (reverse)
All of the above with the poi alternating beats.
Any atlernative with one poi doing one of the above and the other doing another.

If the poi are spinning in opposite directions, you're usually one tweek away from a butterfly of one of it's siblings... and if they're not, then you're just one wrap away.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
And if you're bored with the above, see if you can transition from any one to the other in one beat. Mix it up. And if you're bored with THAT then take your act on the road.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
When it's behind your back under your armpit, it's just a behind the back cross over (with one) just that you're body is align differently.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You're doing it Phunky, I didn't know what else to call it...

You're doing a butterfly in front of your stomach and then without turning your feet or waist you pivot your shoulders (let's say left) and do a reverse under what seems to be your (left) elbow. It's just like turning around into a reverse butterfly but you dont' turn around. You just pivot so it's reversed under your armpit.

Did I explain that well enough? What do y'all call that?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Ok, i know what you're talking about now.

It's only under you're left elbow because you turn your body instead of your feet. The move is just turning a butterfly, but with a different flair because you're facing a another way.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
You can also turn a butterfly over your shoulder.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
That just gave me an idea for a variation, nice.

Here's what i just came up with,

-forward butterfly

-bring your right hand under your left armpit

-bring your left hand over your shoulder

-that should be done at the same time

-join up for the oddest looking arm positioned butterfly.

Can't believe i never thought of that before. d'uh.

Thx NYC

[ 19 May 2002, 06:09: Message edited by: super saiyan phunky ]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Another cool thing to do is try turning it in the awkward arm position.

Or you could do a split-time butterfly in that position and turn it also.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Or wait, just figured something else out.

-Instead of having your right hand go directly under your right armpit.

-lift up your right leg and put the poi through it and under your right arm pit

-bring your right hand poi behind the right should

-join up

-now you have the most awkward looking pose imaginable lol

(remember, this can be done the other way and reverse. I'm just using which arms to use for ease of explanation)

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, just tried it behind the back. Doesn't work because your arms don't bend that way lol. Stupid arms. Anyways, i'm off to work. heh, what a thought process that just happened.

n8xxSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
one handed butterfly. just do the butter fly like normal keeping your hands close together. with which ever hand you like to have on top grab your other chain w/ the pinky of your top hand. moving your wrist up and down. and you got it.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Just ran to try the "over the shoulder" version of what Phunky was talking about. Not as exciting as I thought it would be. It's really just changing "which hand is on top" of the butterfly you're doing behind your elbow.

Finding it, like all things, remarkably easy right handed and unreasonably difficult left handed.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
i think from east coast spinfest we called the under the elbow right->front->under the elbow left "the Protozoa" cuz she showed it to us. took me forever to figure the darn thing out.

Pere

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
If anyone has long enough arms, you could try to thread the needle in that weird arm position.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
[QB]Just ran to try the "over the shoulder" version of what Phunky was talking about. Not as exciting as I thought it would be. It's really just changing "which hand is on top" of the butterfly you're doing behind your elbow.
[QB]
You're being nice, it's not exciting at all lol. Like all variations, it's more for style if anything.

Jimmember
24 posts

Posted:
From a horizontal butterfly above your head you can bring both poi down towards your feet, jumping at the same time so that one beat of the butterfly is below your whole body then back up above your head for the next beat. Still cant get out of a horizontal butterfly smoothly though!

Its a fish!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim:
From a horizontal butterfly above your head you can bring both poi down towards your feet, jumping at the same time so that one beat of the butterfly is below your whole body then back up above your head for the next beat.
a fwd spin is the easiest to transition out of it as you land. a weave if yer quick enuff. with regard to the horizontal butterfly acrobatic trix, the evil cousin of that trick is to do a fwd flip (planting both or one hand on the ground) and into a fwd weave as your feet land in front. my first fire scar was from an aborted attempt. don't even get me started on abortion. or evil cousins.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
dude always remenber something:p everything that you can do with weave its possible with butterfly try some fountains

Dance like if noone were watching you

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Pere, I was gonna call it the "Protozoa" but I figured that only you'd get what I was talking about.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
well hey, everyone should call it that cuz its just fun to say

(you mean...i was actually doing a move before phunky? woah....)

Pere

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
What has the world come to?

I call dibs on the under the leg protozoa though.

Page: