Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Ok, er, technically this is a butterfly family move rather than a weave, but I couldn't think of a better name... butterfly weave is already taken y'see... could be the butterfly Butterfly Crossover or something.Anyway, you do the butterfly, right, then take one hand behind you, as if you were doing the low wave.Then, turn to face the side you took the hand behind on (so you have one poi swinging forwards and one poi swinging backwards, basically... you could just start like this if you are coordinated enough.)Ok, now, you essentially do a figure eight with the poi going in opposite directions... just try crossing them.You can to cross the poi before they pass each other or after (If you try it now, you will know what I mean), but after is harder for some reason.You can also do split time or, er, same time versions of this move... looking from the side it looks a bit like the butterfly variations...this will feel really odd... doesn't really feel like any other move. Most like the basic crossover i guess, sort of.I think there should, theoretically, be 3, 4, 5... bt versions of this... im not sure. going into heavy research atm. There might not be without wraps or turns, or... something...of course, you can do different hands on top, and forward and reverse (as in, left forwad and right back, or right forward and left back), btb probably, overhead is pretty easy, uh... there are some wierd turns and stuff you can do too... its all very experimental atm, im not sure what things im doing are actually the same thing but reversed etc.Well, go play. This has probably been done before, but I haven't seen it written about or seen it done anywhere.------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
uh oh, someone is going to have a break-through very soon smilekeep it hush hush!------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I'm not sure I got what you are talking about - but maybe...how does this move/combo differ from doing a butterfly on the right (of your body) and crossing it to the left (of your body) and back? is it just a timing difference? or am I misunderstanding?Josh

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
There are more ways than one (alot actually)to turn a butterfly back and forth. Usually involving half of a thread the needle or a 5-beat movement bring it to the side. To get you thinking, do a butterfly. Instead of bringing the right hand back and bring the left hand to join up to make the reverse butterfly, why not bring the left hand over and then bring the right hand to join up. This is the simpliest of this type of move that i can think of. So many variations. Experiement bringing different hands over at different times. Remember, learn to lead with either hand forward and reverse. It should make it easier.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ah yeah. I did get it.mm its nice when you learn to do things with alternating directions rather than same direction stuff (which most twirlers I've seen seem to predominately stick to). I prefer alternate stuff.Josh

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Isn't this move related more to the crossover than the butterfly?What I would call the crossover is this:From the forward swing cross your arms over then back for a beat.What I think blackbird is doing is the alternate crossover. One poi forward one reverse. Cross arms over and back for a beat. I can't believe this stuff isn't in the poi lessons. The figure 8 isn't either. Basically that's a split time crossover, and it is an important step to the weave.When I get someone who's never done poi who wants to have a go, i get them to do the forawd swing, then ask if they've done crossovers with skipping rope in school. They get crossovers very easily then.I've thinking about this because I only just got the alternate crossover myself.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
It's different from side to side butterflies because instead of two poi on one side, then two on the other, its one on each swapping...Although I now realise I was being a bit dumb and the multiple beats are just ttn's... still, there's more here than meets the eye; I know the move is simple enough, but there's a lot of potential for more advanced moves.I saw this one woman a few days ago... she did something like a low wave, but spun round on one leg like a figureskater... and somehow it still worked, they stayed parallel to her on each side, swapping quickly as she turned. She did it too quickly for me to see exactly the mechanics, but I have been unable to reproduce anything like it. She also did it with an alternate butterfly... looked... odd. I couldn't work these moves out; they didn't look to hard, just... unusual.(This was the pixie girl to those who were with me...)------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x