pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Here is a totally non-technical staff trick that is simple and looks amazingly cool. It might be old hat to you staff peeps, but it's new to me.During Ben's fire staff demo at the ECSF, he showed what happens when you take freshly lit wicks and then spin the staff between the palms of your hands. The extra oxygen combined with the rotational force throwing off some fuel creates some great fireballs.I took this trick one step further. I've noticed that you can *really* toss the staff high in the air in a stable fashion if you impart a spin on it. Hold the staff with your hands at a natural position, maybe 18 inches apart, palms up, elbows extended, witht he staff at the base of your palm. Use your elbows to send the staff skywards, and flick your wrists sharply just before release to really get the puppy spinning.I did this without spinning out and sent a ***HUGE*** fireball about 20 feet into the sky last night! It was way far cooler than I ever expected it to be.-p.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yep - that is a FARKING cool method of avoiding the old spinout stains smileyou have to watch out for nearby trees and houses and stuff....you want a crowd? do that trick and you got one! smilemake sure you throw it high tho, I did it once with a low throw and high spin, and the fireballs Nearly got me, I ducked and covered - and dropped the staff...your'e going to BM arent you pj?Josh

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Yup, safety probably is somewhat of an issue with this move. I did it over some short green grass with plenty of open space *and* it had been raining all day. ;-)The *plan* is for me and Prote to drive out to BM this year. Due to her lack of vacation, we're only looking at staying Wednesday through Sunday.-p.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hmmi actually dont fling it up cos it looks better when theyre closer to your body4 inch wicks basicaly the balls in your faceno burns cause its so quicki cant wait to do this with the new 10inch wicked staff we're getting soon

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
TCW: Ten inches as in five two in. by 3 ft. strips wrapped arround each end? Wow!I've become fond of separating wicks rather than lopping all the kevlar together. On my staff, I have two wicks at each end separated by four inches. The gap inbetween increases airflow for a brighter flame, although perhaps sacrificing some burn time. With a gap of four inches or less, it looks like one big flame, six or more and you can get some nice concentric circle action going.-p.