Page:
SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Saddam Hussien has been sentenced to death by hanging. I just heard it on the BBC radio 4 news. It hasn't appeared on their news website yet but I'll give you a link when it does.

I'm not sure there was ever any doubt that the death penalty would be given... I still feel uneasy about it though. I really don't believe in the death penalty, but is it different in cases like this?

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6117910.stm
This is the web page so far.

EDITED_BY: Skulduggery (1162718478)

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I disagree with the death penalty, however I think he deserves it. So I'll make this an exception.

BUT!

I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea. Because by executing him, they are making him a martyr which encourages his supporters and places him on even more of a pedestal and I think that there is going to be some hardcore retaliations in Iraq.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea. Because by executing him, they are making him a martyr which encourages his supporters and places him on even more of a pedestal and I think that there is going to be some hardcore retaliations in Iraq.

I agree with that Rouge, Part of me feels hanging him will do more harm than good, but I have no idea what the answer is though. I still feel very uneasy about it. I strongly don't believe in the death penalty.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i dont think its our place to judge him. he was tried by the people whose lives he affected and if they believe that he should recieve the death penalty then as somone who's never been anywhere near a situation like that i dont think i really have a right to meddle in their affairs.

that said, i dont believe in the death penatly, its proven that people commit crimes no matter what the punishment so in terms of it trying to stop crime its quite useless.

Written by: Rouge Dragon

to me the above looks like you're making him into some sort of religious figure. whom will he be a matyr for when its obvious to everyone that he is/was responsable for the deaths of hundreds of people? surely if he really had some amount of supporters he wouldn't have been caught so easily in a hole in a house in the middle of nowhere.

i think he is mostly irrelevant to the problems in Iraq in terms of religious confrontations. he held power over the majority using fear, now that he's gone theres nothing to stop that majority using its majority to gain power, be it in a democratic way or in a civil war. the main effect he has had in modern day Iraq is that by taking him from power we've created a vaccum that various religious groups want filled with their own members.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
I don't believe in the death penalty either - but I make exceptions.

Saddam Hussein is one of them, Ceaucescu was another. I have always wished any of the 3 attempts to murder Hitler had been successful ...

Saddam has led a regime for decades that tortured and executed people by the hundreds of thousands - him now being of of the few leaders being held accountable may at least be a warning for the Mugabes, Kim Il Songs etc. of this world that it may get to them personally one day.

Sad thing is that several judges and attorney involved in the process got shot ...

But sadly, Iraq will continue sliding into civil war ... and I see a new dictator / mullah or other coming out in the end.

Saddam got what he deserved and he got a trial and treatment that he had denied to so many.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I don't really agree with all the "I don't believe in the death penalty but I'll make exceptions" posts.

Either you believe in it or you don't.

For systems who support the death penalty, it is only given to those that the systems in place feel the exception is justified, like let's say in Texas you'll get death penalty for someone who shoots 10 people, but not for stealing a handbag.

So even if you put the "minimum crime for death penalty" up a great deal higher, you still support it.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
nope i just don't believe in it

perhaps what people meant is that the system convicts innocent people to die and etc, but in this case most see little doubt as to what saddam did

btw check wikipedia for his bio-it's a good read

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

I don't really agree with all the "I don't believe in the death penalty but I'll make exceptions" posts.

Either you believe in it or you don't.

Agreeing with Birgit twice in one week. biggrin

Being "pro death penalty" doesn't mean you think EVERYONE should be killed. It's obviously only for those "exceptions" cases.

I'm vegan except I make exceptions at and between meal times.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
[Quote]Either you believe in it or you don't.[/Quote]

Fair enough ... so we're purists here, I though a bit of a black spot in the white as per yinyang was ok as would only make it human.

Remembering the school debates about "dictator murder" (in my case from decades ago) ...
I think they should have shot Hitler before he set the world on fire, ditto actually Stalin and Mao who got away.

So that makes me pro death penalty ?
Well ... I tink it isnt justified for any "normal" crime, e.g. I think this late US deathrow guy (the converted West coast former gangster rapper) shouldve been granted pardon.
There is plenty of proof that even death penalty doesnt much discourage much from committing a crime - but to an extent it makes think twice and it certainly prevents repetition from the individual in question.

But for the sake of world peace and to protect the weak from the almighty dictators, I believe people like Saddam, Ceaucescu, Al Sarkawi etc. deserve a bullet and the faster the better.

maiukiBRONZE Member
51 posts

Posted:
I don´t believe on it at all.
I agree with Skulduggery and Rouge. I think killing him can make more harm than help.
Mr Majestik; I don´t thik we can judge, but I can say that it affects us aswell, at least on my believes, as I think everything is connected.
Is it a real punishment to kill him, when we don´t even know what the death is? Aren´t we punishing him for killing and doing the same to him?For me that seems to show that we can kill, we just need to have the law in our side.
I strongly feel that what he´s done is horrible!! But I wouldn´t feel proud of my believes if I could made and exception on this, is someones life, I don´t think anyone has the rigths to take that from anyone.
He´s done that too many times to keep doing the same don´t you think?
As for the people that supports him, I must say that I can understand it, not share it, but understand it.
He is an icon of an ideology. You can kill people, but not kill ideas. As someone said before, another person will take his place, maybe will changue a bit the speech, and keep going. I think what we need is to changue the ideas, and I must say that don´t think killing is the best way.

gyrospectdave1SILVER Member
119 posts

Posted:
i dont know all that much about the details of the whole thing, but for me the death penalty is an easy way out for sadam. i really hate the idea of the death penalty and that nobody should be able to take another persons life, for any reason. i also think that he would feel his regret and would be more likely to repent and so on if he was kept alive in some dank hole of a prison with no company and let him die slowly. i feel its a more fitting way to punnish him.

3,556 posts

Posted:
put him in the hole they found him in

kill him make him a martyr for the violent groups out there and some will write a sympathetic story about him in books or movies-this makes such great sense, i think i will go also hand out a petition for dihydro oxide or whatever it's called

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Nonkymember
44 posts

Posted:
If it is Saddams 'crimes' which make it ok for him to suffer the death penalty, then why does that same logic not apply to people who have done (and are doing) much worse.

One example- George W. Bush. Another- Mugabe..

How come they get to live? umm

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Indeed...

Upwards of 50,000 Iraqi civilians killed since the start of the war...

www.iraqbodycount.net

Getting to the other side smile

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Nonky and Clare, I agree.

Saddam is not much worse than many other leaders in the world today. Have a look at what 11 out of the 23 people at the Nuremberg Trials were killed for:

1. Participation in a common plan or conspiracy for the accomplishment of crime against peace
2. Planning, initiating and waging wars of aggression and other crime against peace
3. War crimes
4. Crimes against humanity

I think Saddam is just unlucky to be in the situation he is in - 15 years ago, when he commited the crimes and the world loved him I bet he never thought it would come to this.

Anyway, wasn't the war against WMD, not him?

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

Anyway, wasn't the war against WMD, not him?

The guy flew two planes into the World Trade Center and flooded New Orleans and you just want him to walk?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I dunno. I think he should rot in solitary. No books, no TV, nothing. No comforts other than a bed and simple plumbing, just food, shelter, and medical attention.

That, to me, is worth than death. Chronic boredom. Sensory deprivation.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
ok... may as well throw in my 2c, cos I dont spend enough time in the social discussion threads.

I am another in the *not believing in taking another human life under any circumstances* camp. and I am not making any exceptions... do people deserve to be punished for their crimes against others (leaving discussion as to what actually constitutes crime and applicable punishment in general to another thread)? absolutely. but in my opinion, nothing validates taking a fellow human beings life.

that said, I can agree with majestik, in that given that he was tried and convicted by a legal system in a culture vastly different from my own, my opinions in this instance pale into comparison with those more directly affected by his actions.

Written by: NYC

The guy flew two planes into the World Trade Center and flooded New Orleans and you just want him to walk?

nyc... are you just winding sym up?

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
No of course he isnt... its just NYC ubblol

(In the same way that MCP hates him, I love him wink )

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
I am just amazed that he can see with those red, white and blue coloured glasses... wink

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Could have sworn that it was a hurricane that flooded New Orleans.....or Dubya! wink

I say stick him in a hole like the one they finally found him in and make him stay there.

He's not worthy of hanging!!! The rope would protest!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pogo69

that said, I can agree with majestik, in that given that he was tried and convicted by a legal system in a culture vastly different from my own, my opinions in this instance pale into comparison with those more directly affected by his actions.

smile yay. if you/we dont believe in the death penalty thats fine for us, but we're not the ones putting him on trial for killing our families.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

artindorilmember
117 posts

Posted:
not sure if we should kill him ... keep him in jail for the rest of his life degrading his humanity (hmmm maybe a timely return for the stocks).

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
can we hang Bush, too?

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

...looks like you're making him into some sort of religious figure. whom will he be a matyr for when its obvious to everyone that he is/was responsable for the deaths of hundreds of people? surely if he really had some amount of supporters he wouldn't have been caught so easily in a hole in a house in the middle of nowhere.

Saddam still has a lot of support amongst Iraq's Arab Sunni muslim population. So thats about 20-30% ish of the country. They're the ones with the most RPGs too frown
EDITED_BY: simian (1162814580)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
There are people who would argue against stooping the the level of such people but leave him in a room with the families of those he's killed and see what happens.

A worst fate for him is probably being forced to watch 'South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut' on repeat, 'Clockwork Orange' style...

Re: George W Bush - why hang Orville when Keith Harris is hiding behind the curtain?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

3,556 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Nonky

If it is Saddams 'crimes' which make it ok for him to suffer the death penalty, then why does that same logic not apply to people who have done (and are doing) much worse.

One example- George W. Bush. Another- Mugabe..

How come they get to live? umm

with bush we don't have mass graves

Faith

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I'm with Majestic on this one... don't agree with the death penalty, but it's not my culture or my family who were slaughtered.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

No, not mass graves...just ones spread out all over the country of our soldiers who are being sent home in boxes...I live fairly close to Ft. Bragg and have many friends who have been to...are in...or who will never be coming home from Iraq alive...

One of these friends has a newborn baby girl and now her husband is gone.....never got to meet his first born.....

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
"why do we kill people who killed people to proove that the killing of people is wrong?"

I oppose the sentence and would rather like to see him locked up and the key thrown away. Certainly him getting killed will turn him into a martyr and no way he deseves that - he obviously needs a few years to ponder and get a clue of what he did wrong.

The comparison of the current to the situation of assassinating Hitler is eraneous. Whilst killing Hitler would have saved millions of lives, Hussein is in custody. He currently has no powers and cannot give any direct order to kill other people. He's no immediate threat.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

at least not inside the US.. umm but he invaded two countries and spilled thousands of innocent lives.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Page: