Forums > Social Chat > Not a fun day (not war related)

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I started feeling sick around 10 AM. I made it through my lecture (despite having to excuse mysef to the bathroom a few times) and then at about half past noon, I asked a friend of mine to take notes for me in the afternoon lecture and I went home. Walking home was not easy as I was feeling amazingly tired and my stomach hurt like crazy. I threw up, which is normally the cure to any stomach malady, but not this time.

The idea of putting anything in my mouth, whether food or water, was so unappealing to me as I lay on my bed unable to do anything but groan. And finally, I decided that as a medical student, that I felt incredibly stupid doing this, but I was going to urgent care because I could not remember ever having felt so sick in my life.

I drove myself to urgent care, which was not a very bright move. But going was. When I got there, I had trouble even sitting up. I just sat in the waiting room with my head lolled over to one side, breathing hard, and my legs stretched out such that a doctor almost tripped over me.

Finally, I went to the receptionist and said "Look, I feel silly asking this, but is there a spare cot or table or bed around that I could lie down on?" She told me to go to the nurses station and say that I needed to lie down. After the nurse managed to decipher my incoherency, she ushered me to a table and lay me down. then she took my blood pressure: 124/58. That 58 was low. Then she had me stand up and took my blood pressure again: 105/50. That is called "orthostatic hypertension" and it is a sign of low blood volume, which in my case, was apparently caused by dehydration. My temperature was 99.1F, and it's normally 97.8 F. So I looked at the nurse and said, "This means I'm proper sick, huh?" She laughed. My (corny) sense of humor is one of the last things to go, apparently...

So the doctor came in and had one look at me and put me on IV fluids to rescusutate my blood volume. And I also got this monster shot of anti-nausea drugs in the butt, which still hurts like a motherf...

Anyways, I'm home now. I still feel a bit woozy when I stand up, but that's more likely the drugs than anything else. Fortunately, we have no classes tomorrow because it's a "study day." There is a 9:30 pathology review, which I'll watch on video. And I should probably E-mail my counselor and tell him that I may have to take Monday's final exam a few days late.

Maaaan, this is EXACTLY the sort of experience that I WOULD wish on my worst enemy. But it did give me some very personal experience with a common presenting condition and when I see a patient like that, you bet I'll act like...well...like Lightning to get them on fluids.

Folks, do remember to wash your hands before you eat at EVERY MEAL. That was my mistake at dinner last night, I'd bet.

[ 21. March 2003, 13:11: Message edited by: .Lightning. ]

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
That's not good news at all, erg, mike,I mean, lightning (that'll take some getting used to..) ;p

Hope you feel a bit better today.

You really are getting a great patient perspective/experience with recent events, I bet you have an amazing bedside manner developing

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Thanks for caring, Ade. But I'm not going to hug back until I'm better. You don't want this bug.

-Mike

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
How about I give you a long distance hug Dr Mike. I'll take the risk cos you're worth it

I hope you feel better soon darling, thinking of you.

Lisa

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by .Lightning.:
"proper sick"

ahem. sorry that sounds reet nasty that, dr. g

wish you better man and the best of luck on your finals next week.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Ahh

Hope you feel better soon!

Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Get well soon Mike

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Hey sweetheart, sorry to hear you are not doing so well. I know you can't return the hug, so here is one gauze wrapped and sterilized for you...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Thanks, guys. I'm doing somewhat better today. I'm still feverish and tired, and I can't keep anything down unless it's water (and only thanks to the anti-nausea drugs), but at least I don't feel like COMPLETE refried ass. Hopefully this will get better throughout the day. If I'm not improved by mid-afternoon, I'll go back to the doctor.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I was sitting around studying a few minutes ago and my stomach started to hurt. I mean really hurt. So I was all "Oh no. What now?" And then I realized..."wait a sec, I think I'm HUNGRY!" Yay! Good sign!

So I just went and fixed myself two slices of toast with a bit of Marmite and it was only one of the yummiest things I've ever eaten. And my tummy instantly stopped hurting and I think I'm even going to manage to keep the food down!

Yayyyyy!!!! I'm all better! (I hope...)

-Mike

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
methinks you would feel even better again if you had out vegemite on your toast lightning!

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Sorry to hear about you being sick and all.While reading your post (about being dehydrated) I had dejavu(sp).A few years ago I got really sick and didn't know what was wrong with me.I was at my Great Aunt Helen's and Uncle Claude's place.I had been there a week and was going to go pick my oldest bro Kaleb up at Chickasha (a half-way meeting place for for our family and our relatives).Well instead I got really sick.At first I thought it was because of my monthly curse that I happened to be on at the time,but I felt different than from previous curses.I didn't feel like eating or drinking anything.I was sleepy but not sleepy (if that makes sense to ppl).

When it was time for us to go pick up my Kaleb and bring him back to my relatives place I decided it would be better if I went home with my mom.On the drive home I sat in the passenger seat and rolled a napkin up in my hand and held on to it til I got home (which was about 2hrs or so).My mom decided she was going to take me to the dr.'s. Well I was burning up and then suddenly freezing.I went to go use the bathroom and my mom put a fan in the bathroom doorway so I could cool off.I felt nauseated(sp).When I got up to leave the bathroom everything went black.I could still walk because I knew the layout of our house.It was sorta like when you stand up too fast and you get a head rush and you see sparklies(well I do),and the top of your head feels like it's on fire...Yeah that's what it felt like.Only instead of lasting a few seconds this lasted for about 3mins!!! My eyes were fixed my mom said and so I sat down on the couch waiting for her to get through in the bathroom.She then decided to take me to the ER(emergency room).I was freezing when I was outside so I wrapped myself in a huge fleece blanket.The temperature outside was in the 115 degrees F!!!When we got to the ER the nurses made me take the blanket off and leave it off because it would throw the thermometers off from my actual body temp.I was kinda pissed because they wouldn't bring me any sheets at least to try and not freeze.I was shivering!Finally they took me in the back by wheelchair (which at first I didn't understand why I had to use a wheelchair so I refused until they yelled at me and I cowered slowly into the chair).

The dr. made me remove my clothes and put on a hospital gown...Thin pittiful excuse for a gown. The dr. didn't know what was wrong with me at first so I had to give blood for tests.I was hooked up to IV bags and had my vitals taken.I don't remember what they were but it was not good because I remember the ppl looking from the machine to me and then back to the machine.I was taken to X-ray and had to stand and put my chest with the thin material gown against a metal plate and was told to breath in and out on command.After that the nurse wanted to get a urine sample but I couldn't pee so I was threatened that if I didn't go soon I would be given a catheter...After hearing this I soon had an urge to go "try" and pee.

I was moving really slow and the nurse lady was kinda impatient with me I guess or I was just not in a good feeling mood and thought she was being impatient with me.Anyways I had to carry my IV bag and take a urine sample while trying not to lose my balance and either fall or drop the urine sample or my IV.

After being in the ER for a few hrs they finally concluded that I had severe Heat Stress and the beggining stages of Heat Stroke!Found out this could of been prevented had I bothered to drink more water and less sweet tea.My relatives live out in the country and their well water tasted gross to me so I would just drink sweet tea and that was about it.Plus on top of not drinking enough H2O being on the curse didn't help matters either.

Let's just say I learned a good lesson about hydration during the hot summer months.Hopefully I won't have that happen again to me.My other bro Joseph got dehydrated too and the nurses had a hard time insterting an IV into him because his veins were so constricted.He too had to have the shot in the butt which he will certainly agree with you that it hurts like a motherf...

Hope you feel better soon!
<---those are sterilized for your own protection and the protection of others.

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Sneaks up on you, doesn't it, Mistress Aurora?

Right now, my stomach feels fine, but every now and then decides to do a somersault. I'm thinking about what I want to do about dinner tonight. I'm thinking that eggs and toast are sounding like the way to go...

Apparently, a number of people around the city have been striken with this particularly nasty bug, which leads me to believe that it is a Norwalk-like Virus (NLV). NLV's were responsible for last year's cruise ship outbreaks, too.

-Mike

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
hey, look at the bright side, at least you didn't have fluids coming out BOTH ends

Get well soon!

I recently had a fever for 4 days and I slept on my arm so much I strained a rotator cuff in my left shoulder, and I was so nautiouse I couldn't eat, and I had so much mucouse in my lungs I had trouble breathingh the whole time.

Wash those hands!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Oh man, I just sooooo hate stomach bugs

Hope you're all feeling well and groovy again.

NLVs are fortunately on the decline at the mo (at least in the northern hemisphere). A few months ago they were really kicking up a storm -thousands were ging down and, in the UK, hospital wards were being closed for weeks at a time.

Keep your eyes out for SARS...that's REALLY unpleasant.

Happy, healthy wishes to one and all

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

1,032 posts

Posted:
quote:
Sneaks up on you, doesn't it, Mistress Aurora?
Yep! It sure did! But after going through that ordeal I now know what it feels like to become dehydrated and I know the symptoms associated with it and how my body feels so I can prevent it from happening again.

Hope those and made you feel better if not then I can send more.

...See...Well it was just in case!

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
How bout a BIG plate of cheesy scrambled eggs n bratwurst??? Mmm, cheezy..No? mmk, more for me den

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Traveling Kyrimember
28 posts

Posted:
I'm glad your doing better. I got your telephone message, but have been very busy. I have cute new pants though. And other stuff. I'm sure I'll call you tommorowe, since I'll be in O'Hare for awhile nad then on a bus once i get back to San Jose.
K.

Situations defined as real are real in their consequences.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Hi, Kyri! Nu, so what's this? You never post on HOP anymore until you're suddenly across the friggin' country and then you post? Hmph!

I got your phone message before I asked for a place to lie down, so I was sitting up in a chair, more or less collapsed in said chair, in a complete state of delerium. So there was no way I was going to answer your call because figuring out how to look at my phone and see who was calling was enough of a challenge.

Anyways, I am at about 99% today. I feel normal pretty much except for the fact that every once in a while my stomach does a random flip-flop. It's more a minor nuisance than anything else. I could even consider eating pizza and beer at this point without feeling nauseated at the thought (not that I'm going to, but the feeling that I could if I wanted is great).

*whew!* I am SO glad that's over.

-Mike

1,032 posts

Posted:
Glad your feeling better!!!! There's a beer for ya from me...Only remember not to tell a sole where you got it from because I'm not 21 yet...Not til March 10,2004.OY it sooooo sux to be 20 and realize I'm oh so close to being legal legal but that I have to sit patiently and wait!

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Glad your feeling better Lighting..

I heard somewhere that we are not recoginising the thirst trigger, and that we often mistake it for a hunger pang.. so we eat when we really should only just have a drink of water.. also remember that drugs, alcohol, caffine and salt are some really strong dieretics (sp?)so couple of beers, and peanuts then a coffee = not good. I've had kidney problems since I was little so my mom has always been nagging me to watch what I eat and make sure I drink lots, but I still forget sometimes, it's so easy to get dehydrated .. D'oh!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

queen of wandsmember
127 posts

Posted:
I went through the same thing with my first year uni exams... its always just when you don't need it! I take extra precautions now when exam time comes around - lots of vitamins, eat healthily, steer away from takeout... but shit happens...

I'm not vegetarian, but currently I'm off my chops!

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
soo sorry to hear that man
take care huuuuuugs

shine on
cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"