Forums > Social Chat > A thread to make you hungry...

Login/Join to Participate

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I am planning a Christmas lunch for myself and my flatmate today, which I thought I would run past you guys.

I have bought some lobster, some moreton bay bugs, some green prawns (for garlic prawns) and some mussels (for mussels in white wine) from the fish markets. I have made some fresh pesto, and also a sorta relish of olives, red bell peppers (capsicum), tomatos and basil. We are also going to have chicken satay skewers, lots of salad with a Thai dressing, fresh bread. And for dessert, a blueberry buttermilk tart.

All this will happen if my flatmate hurries up back from the shops with the ingredients.

If you had free reign to plan a meal, what would you go for?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
sausages, eggs, chips and beans with several pints of bodingtons and some good HOP friends to keep me company.
thats prolly all i could afford right now... F***in bills at christmas. why oh why!! my christmas is gonna suck big time.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Damn Rozi, that sounds really good. I wish you were my roommate.

My perfect meal,

16oz primerib steak, medium rare, merinated in garlic, worchesteshire, and bourbon. Steamed peas. A cornish pasty. And crab legs on the side with about a gallon of drawn butter. All served with a nice hearty lager, and a pretty girl sitting next to me at the table.

Jesus helps me trick people.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
All that for two people? Yeow!

Well, every year I make a roast, corned beef, yorshire pudding, potatoes, gravy and au jous, corn, dinner rolls, traditional Yule punch (button, penny and ring included), and I ask my guests to bring a dish to pass...so we end up with a tonne of chips and dips, crackers and cheeses, and a table full of deserts. I really love our Yule party very much!

For the perfect dish, a hot man? Oh wait, you weren't talking like that eh?

Um...to tell you the truth, I just like food. I love tastes and textures and colours and aromas. The best meal for me is shared in comfortable clothes (don't you hate eating in stuffy dress clothes that don't allow you to breathe?) with people that I love, one of those meals that just kind of drags on for hours. That is fantastic!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
mmmmmm, a not guy. I have one of those. he just ain't here right now.

Well, who would have thought you could be out of breath from eating. We are about midway through the meal and my flatmate has given up and decided to have a nap for a couple of hours A proper christmas meal, lasting all day with recovery breaks.

The lobster was perfect. We had it with lemon and some herb mayonnaise, and it was just wonderful. I could have eaten that relish all day, the capsicum in it was so sweet & lovely. The pesto wasn't the best I have ever done, but I will work on it next time. The mussels in white wine that my flatmate did were great, although we did end up standing in the kitchen eating te garlic prawns whilst waiting for the mussels to cook & open.

We just have the chicken satays & the dessert to go. I am going to do the chicken satays on a bed of snow pea shoots with a shredded ginger and lime dressing. Then top the lot with my special satay peanut sauce.

Dessert is that blueberry buttermilk tart, cooling in the fridge right now. yummmm....

And I also have chocolate coated coffee beans so that we ensure we stay awake for the entire meal. And mince pies, cos it is Christmas.

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
Hmmm Chicken in Black bean sauce with lot's a veggi's served on a bed of steamed rice. With chicken satay and peanut sauce on the side. I actually cooked that meal for my aunt,uncle, and cousin (although my cousin didn't eat it the little brat.) But it was great my aunt and uncle liked it. And not to pat my own back probably the best meal I have cooked. And I'm a damn good cook!

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rozi:

I have bought some lobster, some moreton bay bugs, some green prawns (for garlic prawns) and some mussels (for mussels in white wine) from the fish markets. I have made some fresh pesto, and also a sorta relish of olives, red bell peppers (capsicum), tomatos and basil. We are also going to have chicken satay skewers, lots of salad with a Thai dressing, fresh bread. And for dessert, a blueberry buttermilk tart.
QUOTE]

Will you marry me?

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The fanciest thing I have ever done on my own was when I cooked a thanksgiving/holiday meal for my co-op last year. The deal was that I would spend all day in the kitchen cooking if someone else would be on clean-up. Remarkably, with the exception of the appetizer, the entire meal is vegan. I just substituted margarine for butter and soymilk for milk. None of these recipes called for eggs.

I made:
*An appetizer of these little jalapeño cheese square thingies that my mom always makes for fancy parties.

*Green salad with cucumber, red pepper, red onion, olives, radishes, and my mom's French Dijon dressing.

*Sweet potato pudding

*Some tofu turkey substitute that everyone loved, but I decided I didn't like (not Tofurky, but a recipe that I found on the 'net) w/ cranberry sauce (I cheated on the sauce and just asked our food buyer to get me a jar).

*Bread stuffing

*Gingered asparagus

*Pumpkin pie (there's this really cool recipe that actually makes its own crust when you bake it...I don't get how it works, but it's home-made).

The hardest part is that most of this stuff uses the oven, not the stove (the asparagus used the stove). Although we did have two ovens, it was really hard to juggle everything and get it done in time. Fortunately, many recipes used similar temperatures, which helped a lot.

I love to cook.

EDIT: My Co-op is vegetarian, hence the vegan thing...all meals are supposed to have a vegan option, but I just try to make everything vegan when it's feasable.

[ 16. December 2002, 07:52: Message edited by: MikeGinny (Lightning) ]

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
aaaahh...PK...a true brit! i too would go for...sausages, fried eggs, beans, chips, and nice soft buttered white bread

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Was it non-dairy processed cheese food, cuz otherwise, cheese, even of the jalapeno nature, isn't vegan Mike! LOL Just giving you a hard time!

So, were all vegetarians stuck in the co-op on purpose or by accident? I find vegetarianism and veganism absolutely fascinating.

Pele

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Was it non-dairy processed cheeze food Mike? Cause otherwise your hors dourves weren't vegan! Just teasing!

I find vegetarianism and veganism fascinating actually. Loooong story behind that. So was that one of the conditions to living in the co-op Mike?

Now, here's a good place to put this. I need a vegetable recipe. I really want something unique for a very discerning group of people (my fellow actors) for the cast party next Sunday.
Any suggestions?

Pele

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Pele, I said: "WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE APPETIZER, the entire meal was vegan."

Oh, and I had a bowl of feta on the side of the salad, which was not vegan, either.

The co-op is vegetarian by design. You join the co-op knowing full well that no meat is allowed in the house. (You can have leather in the house, but no meat to eat). You don't have to be a vegetarian to join, though.

Let me point you to www.allrecipes.com if you need a recipe. There are some really great, innovative ideas there.

Also, Mollie Katzen's The Enchanted Broccoli Forest is a great cookbook. I suggest making the title dish (The Enchanted Broccoli Forest). Your vegan/vegetarian friends will likely recognize the dish, but it's so rare that anyone actually makes it.

[ 16. December 2002, 15:31: Message edited by: MikeGinny (Lightning) ]

-Mike

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Vege recipe ideas:

Pumpkin & fetta tart (not for the vegan-hearted )

thai mushroom salad (get some mushrooms, marinade them in a little lime juice, fish sauce, sugar & chilli, then throw them through some salad)

white wine risotto with field mushrroms

eggplant, tomoto, basil & parmesan risotto

polenta with garlic grilled vegetables

If you want details on any of the above suggestions, drop me a pm. (you got the feeling that I am really, really into food ? )

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Rozi, you could just post the recipes here, yanno.

-Mike

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
hey, hold up, impatient one, give me a little time to type!!!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Pumpkin & Fetta Tart (recipe devised from memory and estimation)

Not for Vegans

Pumpkin, cut into medium chunks & cooked
Spanish red onion roughly chopped
fetta cheese
shortcrust pastry
1 egg
sour cream
1 ounce of flour (a heaped tablespoon)
parmesan cheese
fresh basil

Line a pie dish, or a loose bottomed cake tin with the pastry. Blind bake the pastry by spreading either baking paper or tin foil over it, weighting down the paper with rice, beans or pastry weights, and cook until golden. Remove paper & pastry weights.

place pumpkin, fetta cheese and onion into
pastry shell.

Whisk egg, stir in sour cream, whisk until thick and cream. And flour to assist with setting. Pour sour cream mixture into pie shell.

Sprinkle top with parmesan cheese. Bake in slow oven until set. (sprinkle with pepper & salt to taste).

Serve topped with fresh basil leaves

_______

thai mushroom salad

get some mushrooms, marinade them in a little lime juice, fish sauce, sugar & chilli, then throw them through some salad

Basic Risotto recipe

For best results use aborio rice

2 cups arborio rice
4-6 cups of stock

heat some oil in a saucepan, or for better results, a wok. Throw in the rice and fry until it changes colour to an opaque white (rice is normally a little transulcent).

Add a little stock and stir until absorbed. Continue to add stock spoonful by spoonful until all absorbed and rice is cooked. (A useful recipe to do if you have a cordless phone and a long phone call to make ) The consistency should be like a thick rice porridge (grains of rice in a thick sauce)

You can substitute a cup of white wine for some of the stock, or even a tin of roma tomatos.

In a non-vegan version, you would stir in parmesan just before you finish cooking, to provide a creamy finish.

Risotto can be a base for anyhing, sea food, veges, chicken, whatever.

Polenta with garlic veges

get a mixture of mediterranean veges (tomatos, capsicum, eggplant, zucchini, artichokes etc). Place into a baking tray and douse liberally with olive oil. Add in several garlic cloves, still in the paper-y skin. Roast in oven until veges are done.

In the meantime, in a big saucepan, boil up either 4 cups stock or water. Whisk in 1 cup instant cooking polenta. stir until polenta is soft and creamy. (you can substitute 2 cups of milk and 2 cups of water/stock for the full 4 cups for a creamier version). If you wish, stir in some parmesan and season to taste.

Serve polenta in bowls with veges on top.