Page:
-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
I am writing my dissertation at the moment on spinning as a new subculture. Since the number of people who are involved in spinning in one form or another has grown so much in recent years (20000 or so new HoP members in the last 2 years) i think spin can now be classed as a sub culture

As part of my research i want to see how other spinners view themselves and what background they have.

What music do people listen to? What other groups are/ have you been involved in (skater, rocker etc)? What kind of clothes do you wear? What race/ class background would you say you are from? Do you consider yourselves spinners as a way of desribing yourself? Do you think spinning has grown from any other groups/ subcultures? What are the main characteristics of spinners as individuals and as a whole?

Basicly what makes a spinner a spinner?

I will be very gratefull for any help or oppinions you can give me smile

EDITED_BY: -sandy- (1134747304)

"Don't do it naked!"

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i think the good thing about spinners is that maybe the only thing weve all got in comman and maybe kind of care about is a fascination with twirly whirly whirly things so i geuss thats what makes spinners spinners. i think that there are more well defined subgroups within the spinners though..

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Such as?

"Don't do it naked!"

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
one group would be the group of people who are into technical sock poi stuff, i think people in this group do tend to share similar mindsets... or that might just be my biased view of it..

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
i have noticed the same thing with people who are into tech contact staff but i have also found many others that are into spinning generally to be the same.
Is it that because we are into these area these are the people we spend more time with and are therfore unable to comment on the people we spend less time with?
I have found that nearly all the spinners i have met have been of a similar mindset to myself e.g. Ros wouldnt classify herself as a massivly technical spinner and is more into flowy poi but i consdier her a good friend with a very similar set of values to me.
What im really looking for tho is for people to talk about themselves to see if there is a common theme that comes out in spinners as a whole. Do we all listen to the same music for example or are we all born from albanian monkeys. who knows? not me and id like to find out

"Don't do it naked!"

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I'm probably on the fringe of the subculture as I'm in the US where it isn't as well defined.

Oli is right, there are many different groups of spinners. There are the fire poi/staff/hulahoop/swords/etc fire hippies. They have drums, flutes, guitars and other traditional music while spinning. Generally huggy and chill people who don't care about "normal society".

There are techincal sock poists. They are geared to pushing boundaries of technical spinning level.

And there's the glowstringers, who are apt to stick to glowsticks on strings, focus on wraps and string manipulations (mindgames). More emphasis on the American rave scene/electronica music and PLUR (peace love unity respect)

I find I sometimes bridge all three of these. There's more but I have to run off now smile I'll write more later.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
dunno, theres lots of gay spinners (well poi spinners)... the straight boys do staff lol... is that the kinda thing you mean?

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
yeah subgroups in spinners, lots, techy sock poi people such as oli wink 3bt weavers/raver type spinners, glowstickers, 'hippy' spinners, etc. Personally i would class myself as a 'hippy' spinner though people have repeatedly call me techy, damn whipcatches and atomics *mutter*

What music do people listen to? I love spinning to drum music (NOT drum n bass, yuk, proper, actual drums) especially west african.. I dont like spinning to trancey dancey hard housey stuff, it doesnt do it for me as its too fast and i dont spin like that.

What other groups are/ have you been involved in (skater, rocker etc)? none really, my first group was spinners.

What kind of clothes do you wear? I wear silly coloury clothes and have silly coloury sock poi.

What race/ class background would you say you are from? white, middle class, my mum was a full on hippy in the sixties and seventies and i have grown up around those amazing people.

Do you consider yourselves spinners as a way of desribing yourself? Yes, though lately i have been more referring to myself as a juggler as thats what i've been concentrating on.

Do you think spinning has grown from any other groups/ subcultures? Not sure, i've never really paid much attention to groups or subcultures as i havent been a part of them. Though, from my limited experience i would say that the type of people who like to go to raves, clubbing etc, would be more likely to see and start glowstringing. Those who like to hang about on beaches (myself included) would be more likely to see fire poi. There are hundreds of pairs of tailed poi at festivals, loads of people pick it up there.

What are the main characteristics of spinners as individuals and as a whole? they're all (of the spinners i have met) really kind, generous people who are more than happy to let you crash on their sofa and make you tea. Most arent egotistical about their skills and are happy to share tricks.

Hope this helps!
hug
Beth xxx

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
What music do people listen to? Anything, lots of dance to cheesy pop to metal and rock. Dependant on mood

What other groups are/ have you been involved in (skater, rocker etc)? None

What kind of clothes do you wear? Um, depends really. I'm normally into like jeans, tshirts, especially when out to a club or summat. Hoodys and stuff when slouchin and mooching

What race/ class background would you say you are from? Middle class. I;m a white boi. and in the words of lil britain, I am a gay.

Do you consider yourselves spinners as a way of desribing yourself? Yup

Do you think spinning has grown from any other groups/ subcultures? Pass

What are the main characteristics of spinners as individuals and as a whole? Basicly what makes a spinner a spinner? ditto
I agree with Beth! everyone seems so nice!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
What music do people listen to?

pop, hip hop and bashment / mashups / bootlegs.

What other groups are/ have you been involved in (skater, rocker etc)?

previous to spinning: Anime and Sci-fi, thou happily, not to the same extent.

What kind of clothes do you wear?

Preferable ones I can do contact in, and ones I can do gymnastics in. (Probably at the same time) baggy jeans / trousers, things without collars to get in the way, or a certain type of collar that I can still spin with. Usually with a hoddy on top.

What race/ class background would you say you are from?

MIDDLE CLASS! Yeah baby! Fully white, but scottish and curly haired.

Do you consider yourselves spinners as a way of desribing yourself?

Only to people who knew what I was talking about. I might pop the word fire in there if they didn't know what I was talking about.

Do you think spinning has grown from any other groups/ subcultures?

Festival subculture maybe? Or a juggling subculture? In edinburgh it grew out of a pagan subculture, but the pagan bit has been ditched for a while now, and it's mostly hippies and university kids now.

What are the main characteristics of spinners as individuals and as a whole?

Adults who continue to learn. Where else do you see such freeform learning apart from in other things like skating and BMX and that?

fatmouse? A desire to improve for improvements sake and an urge to be good at an irrational skill? Why does anybody want to become good at anything? Probably because great satisfaction and pleasure can be derived from being good at something. And this is the something we've happened to choose.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Also, I have often (not always) seen a difference in spinner attitudes in respects to spinners for fun, and spinners for hire.

It isn't always there, but performers have a different presence/attitude compared to those that are living room/backyard spinners. Sometimes it's there in the what I consider good "lacking in being impressed by fire/gimmicks", sometime it manifests itself in the bad egotism "I won't spin unless I'm paid".

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I'm interested to see that I fit into none of the "Sub-Sub Cultures" mentioned so far. I listen to Rock/Indie music, dress relatively subtley and don't really come across as very... ummm... artistic I guess. Kind of a loner. I've certainly never met another spinner who is particularly similar to me. Maybe I don't meet enough people.

There's a guy in my juggling society with a tie-dyed white suit though... he's freaking ace.

I generally describe myself as a spinner to people who know me, rather than strangers.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
for me the idea of poi and subcultures don't really fit together... it's just one shared interest, like cross country running or something. and i wouldn't call cross country runners a subculture even though they might meet regular in clubs and go cross country running.... and i don't think there's much else that you can guarantee everyone will have in common, unlike the other kinds of subcultures who seem to define themselves by a sort of scale of requirements i.e. like you don't necessarily identify with the subculture if you wear black a lot, it could also be you're uniform or the fact that you like black, so then you go to the next thing on the checklist, if you... i don't know, listen to sisters of mercy or something.... but then even if you do, it doesn't make you goth just because you wear black and listen to sisters of mercy.... hmmm.... i'm just not sure....

if it helps i would assume that if it was a subculture you would identify yourself as a 'spinner' and i don't think i've ever said to someone "i am a poi spinner" more like "i spin poi".... there is a difference there, nej? or am i imagining it....

i would say, it's a thoroughly postmodern phenomenon wink (it's got the historical, cultural references and everything... taking place in the information age, hence HoP)

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to think of other hobbies...

Swimmers, for example. We're all athletes. So we have certain things in common.

But are swimmers, or spinners a subculture in and of ourselves? Probably not. I've seen ravey spinners, hippie spinners, and just plain-old-white-dude-from-Kansas-who-happens-to-spin-poi spinners.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
"just plain-old-white-dude-from-Kansas-who-happens-to-spin-poi spinners"

my favourite type of spinner you know

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:

o'l peace

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Music: rock, pop, some indie, some jazz, blues and classical

Other groups: used to hang out with and play in hippie and rock bands... not really any subculture groups though I'm afraid

Clothes: am a scientist, so mostly comfy stuff that can be worn in the lab as well... have a bit of a thing for t-shirts and jumpers that make people take pictures smile

Race and background: boring white German, middle class

Consider myself a spinner: not really, though I do mention it first when asked about hobbies cause it gets the biggest response

Do you think spinning has grown from any other groups/ subcultures? same here as for mcp (same city), probably from jugglers, too, since they're the first ones to be in contact with spinners and tend to pick new stuff up and spread it

What are the main characteristics of spinners as individuals and as a whole? too much free time on their hands!!! Kidding, I know so many different people who spin that I can't find that much in common!

Basicly what makes a spinner a spinner? The fact that they spin tongue

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Music (for spinning) anything around a 120bips - (deep)house, trance, percussion but getting into dreamweaving stuff also.

Other groups: "new wave" smot pokers

Clothes: smart/ casual

Race/ class background: German white caucasian, poor, growing up in a ridiculously rich neighbourhood

Do you consider yourselves spinner: Yea, but "Spinner": in German means "Weirdo" and that describes it best for me. As being asked I don't push this forward. I do not (need) to identyfy myself as being part of a group in order to identify myself.

When being asked for my hobbies I stretch my arm and draw big frantic circles in the air.

Do you think spinning has grown from any other groups/ subcultures? Call them "Maori"

What are the main characteristics of spinners as individuals and as a whole? As individuals you have to refer to the individual, in my case I take a piercing look at crap happening, a deep hug on senseless acts of kindness and try to collect at least one smile a day that I personally led to. As a whole I guess we're into right-left brainactivation... by physical exercise... juggle

If you also refer to the introduction-section you may find further useful informations and as long as you're not supplying it to the NSA I have no objection - even though: let 'em know we're out there and growing - "they" can't stop it anyways... weavesmiley

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I think you have some good points about it being sub-culture, but I'm not sure, and I don't really think I'd class myself as a "spinner". However, I'll answer your little questions for you to see if you find any factors to neaten up your theory.

What music do people listen to?

I mostly listen to indie/alternative. But with a lot of 60s and 70s thrown in.

What other groups are/ have you been involved in (skater, rocker etc)?

I was a semi-skater chick for a while. Been one of the "non-cool" kids most of my school life.

What kind of clothes do you wear?

Well, it pretty much alternates between quite hippy, a little bit hippy, sporty, and lately, stereotypically european (well what here would get called that.)

What race/ class background would you say you are from?

White. Middle class. private school (but not one of those fancy-pants ones)

Do you consider yourselves spinners as a way of desribing yourself?

as i said above. nope. i'm more likely to call myself a "rower" or say "well, some people call me a hippy"

Do you think spinning has grown from any other groups/ subcultures?

maybe festival goers.

they spin. i get the impression mosty of us are a little left field. ie; we weren't popular at high school and don't walk in mainstream circles.

they spin.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:

Spinning. Thats it. Without kind of specific cultural subtext.

There's a really interesting HoP/Spherc group, but that's far from all spinners, and has much more to do with the internet/technicity and postmodern communities.

Alternatively... bunch of bloody tree huggers.

hug

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

JtJCheck ya later
500 posts

Posted:
I've never really thought about spinning as a subculture. To me it is just a hobby like any other sport/art form. I think this is mainly because lots of different kinds of people spin, who may already be grouped into another subculture.

I don't think it is possible to group all spinners by one thing they have in common, that isn't spinning. Because whatever similarity you can think of, there will always be an exception.

For example: " . . . bunch of bloody tree huggers" - Dream

I can think of plenty of people who spin poi/staff, and still drive unecological cars, eat McDonald's, and generally don't partake in hugging trees wink So technically you wouldn't be able to describe all spinners as 'tree huggers'. However, you could describe MOST spinners as tree huggers.

Jake the Juggler

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
ubblol i think that jake's right. we all belong to subcultures, note the multiple, but the only one which can define spinners is spinning itself. people all tend to approach it differently, from different places and directions which is why si is also right in saying that hop, despite it's size, is just part of a much larger group of people. you need to make sure you speak to non-hoppers as well!

One hypothisis which is definately looking at is the role of music in spinning. While everyone listens to different things, i think most of us enjoy spinning to music and would suggest that there is something inherently linked between the two. But i could easily be wrong/biased in this. I first saw poi (with the exception of laura in her garden) at outdoor parties and started spinning myself to drums on the beach...

Likewise, I'd suggest that the "hugginess" which seems to surround some spinners (especially that hippy lad from bristol) is linked tho the fact that when watching others spin we feel much closer to them as they are revealing something about their subconcious in the way that they approach spinning and do spin. But again, that's just my opinion.

It's also interesting to note that there are many other web communities or groups of friends who exhibit similar huggy behaviour or at least strength of community to those on HOP so this is not nesecarily about poi. Maybe that's another reason to use not internet active spinners as a control case to your investigation.

Oh, and to anwser your question, before i started spinning i was dead keen on my boardsports and music (i.e getting inspration from others expressing their mindset through their style/actions while learning through an unstructured pattern of spontaneous one to one teaching). so overall there's really been very little change... wink

Good luck mate hug

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the help guys hug
i would deffinitly agree that people who spin also belong to other sub cultures, this is one of the main things i am looking at.

Oh, and to anwser your question, before i started spinning i was dead keen on my boardsports and music (i.e getting inspration from others expressing their mindset through their style/actions while learning through an unstructured pattern of spontaneous one to one teaching).

i think this is a common traight among spinners and im looking into why.
When reading into skateboarding the main type of person to become a skater is usually white middle class (you need a certain amount of capital behind you to buy the equipment, clothes etc).
So far in this thread most people have also described themselves as white middle class, why does spinning attract white middle class? is it a matter of exposure (the clubs we go to, the people we hang with)?

A lot of the spinners i have met have talked about (like myself) not quite fitting in at school, are we, like many other online communities, 'huggy' because we are happy to have found other like minded individuals? or is it that we are just the sort of people that like to play with stuff?

"Don't do it naked!"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
do you perceive this community as hugy ?

Missed out on this one mate - my echo comes round shrilling like an ostrich eye... wink

I guess we're just the sort of people... biggrin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2B or not 2B?

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
One thing all spinners have in common is the ability to totally trance out while spinning... twirling is very hypnotic in it's own way. Its beauty is different to that of, say, tango dancing.

This means it'll attract people who are into other trancey things, eg drumming, meditation and the like, trance music... which are all big parts of the twirling subculture.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Written by: -sandy-

So far in this thread most people have also described themselves as white middle class, why does spinning attract white middle class? is it a matter of exposure (the clubs we go to, the people we hang with)?

I think it's more likely that "white and middle class" describes the majority of the population HoPpers are from.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: PsyRush

One thing all spinners have in common is the ability to totally trance out while spinning...

That's a rather large generalisation there. I've never tranced out while spinning.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Sad Sad Sad - frown

sorry to hear that bovril... frown how come? You definately missed out on something here! Maybe use MORRRRRRRR FIRRRR ?

Psy - I wouldn't necessarily follow up on the tango part but definately on the rush... your carrying a good alias... biggrin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
free internet and cellphone charging @ taipeh airport - amazing asia smile
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but even if now I uncheck the signature, my personality gets caught up in the machine................ eek

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
I've always thought of the spinners I know to be jugglers who have pick up a toy which spins. I'm not pertending all spinners fit this mold but certainly most of the ones which go to juggling conventions (and spinning conventions like play). Also alot of people who can juggle I wouldn't class as jugglers just the ones who as made it a big enough part of there life to go to weekly meets and/or conventions.

so what makes a jugglers? well any sterotype will fall down somewhere and most are a complete load of s**t but i'll it a go. Fistly people with a mathematical/scientific mind who take pleasure in understanding and inventing tricks.

people who can't sit still and just play with what ever object is in front of the.

hippies (whetever you take that to mean e.g. your never going to become horribly rich spinning but your not going stop global warming either)

as far as music, from all the juggling/spinning vids i've downloaded I have to say I can't see any patterns. "NOT drum n bass, yuk" see I quite like abit of d'n'b

as far as staffer and poier are conserned you could maybe say they're juggler who like dancing and fire.

don't really think even these sterotypes work very well but there's prob abit of true in them

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
Written by:

people with a mathematical/scientific mind who take pleasure in understanding and inventing tricks.
/quote]

There's a configurational aspect to many HoPers, hence the world of geekiness... infinite butterfly hyperloops are hard... but look rubbish (at least in my opinion).

But equally many spinners prefer a relatively simple, flowing aesthtic. Though not many of those who spend much time posting in the new moves section.

And of course there are those that amalgamate the two.

There are those who go to juggling conventions... Those who post freaquently on HoP technical discussions... Those who prefer the social forums... those who are members but post once a year... and those that dont have the Net at all.

Coherent subculture?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
I believe so. the simple fact that we share an activity that we all do fairly regularly, go to the same places to meet others who also do this activity and have a language that only people who are involved understand (try saying hyperloop to someone who doesnt spin) makes us a subculture.
Whether someone is more or less involved in it will depend on the person.
I am not just talking about people on HoP either, there are many people that i only see at festivals and would consider members of the subculture (maybe they only go to their local meets).
im interested in if there is any other link in origins or tastes between people that spin. i certainly agree that there are sub cultures within the sub culture but that may be getting a little complicated to explain in depth in my dissertation.

"Don't do it naked!"

Page: