Page:
Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
hey there happy HOPers,

finally got around to uploading a video to my poor website...unfortunately i have not had much time to work on the page but at least there is some fun on there now...

this video was filmed in may for the competition, but i wasn't that warmed up and screwed up all my tosses, and when i wanted to go again we got kicked off the roof...anyway isn't that always the case as soon as you film something you come up with a new move that you wish was on the video...damn i wish somebody got my spin last nite...

unfortunately the vid gets a little dark at the end hard to see what i'm doing (you will almost certainly miss the btb thread the needle at the end) and since i didn't capture it myself i think it was grepped at a non DV resolution/aspect ratio so there are lines all over my wicks (which makes them look rather cool)...all you video geeks should know what i mean.

Like i say on the page i will try and update every once in a while, if i can get access to a camera (shouldn't be too hard)...

yeah so here's the link:
skunk.13378u.org

you need quicktime to view, it is a free download.
enjoy.

Skunk

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
congrats, Skunk, i'm checkin it out right now, love da opening pic on ya site!

-- whoops, 20mb's a lil big & slow for my darn ole comp during da day (line doubles as fax, etc.), i'll download it 2nite fo sure, k?

[ 08 October 2002, 10:33: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Unfortuntely i can't seem to be able to download cuz it's too heavy

will try again and again knowing how I love your style and would be very happy to see you spin again, be it only on video this time.

much lvoe and respect

Shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Skunk, i'm downloading on a 56K. almost certainly will take over 3 hours, and may slow down and glut on my old machine before it can finish. in fact, it's stopped 3 times already, and that seems because your server's handshake is fragile, not just my system or connection, coz i don't usually have that problem while i'm downloading media, and i download some movie clips while working on other pages, and tunes all the time. it stopped when i came here on a second window to post. i got 10%, 26 seconds, which i could see, heard your starting hand drums, but when it got to its unnatural end, it froze my system entirely, not just the browser. reboot.

Cassie, btw, clicking on the link on Skunk's webpage does not successfully download the vid for me at all, it gives a broken picture icon on the browser, that's all. try what i'm doing, which is, on the link TO the vid, on Skunk's homepage, right-click, and select Save Target As, which opens a small dialog box asking you where on your hard-drive, if you have space, to save it, and what to name the file. this does start the downloading. if it stops early, then don't work on anything else while you're downloading.

most peeps prolly manage to have faster service, but as of today, 20mb is still a huge huge size for a download vid short of portions of whole wide-screen movies.

can you break it into smaller, say 5MB chunks?

or offer them as an alternative, while the 20MB one remains available for those who can handle it?

would help a lot if ya would, coz i'm sure many of us, Cassie & i for a start, would love to see you spin in this vid.

~ Mike

[ 09 October 2002, 00:56: Message edited by: FireMike ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
so sorry homies.

i am completely spoiled on broadband. i gladly pay 60 some odd american dollars a month for the good stuff. internet or DIE!!! as some of my cell-phone-less hacker friends like to scream randomly when they find cool shiza.

i had a 5mb lo-rez version on there too, but i took it off cause it was pretty much useless. you could not really tell what i was doing at all...

i will try to come up with something, better compression or smaller chunks, the vid is at least 4 or 5 minutes long...in the meantime if you want email me (you can click on the picture on that lame piece of html that i call a page right now) and i could serve up some ftp directly off my puter (that webserver the file is coming from now is just the hosting company that hosts the 1337 website)...

but of course with a 56k modem you are not gonna get anything all that fast and confident.

peax

bandwidth hoggin skunk

Spiral_komember
44 posts

Posted:
Well I saw it - It is mad fantastic!

Def like the bongo touch! The clip did have probs though - kept starting from the begining again. Took some work to view it. Worth it though! Def felt that tinglie feeling at the back of my neck!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Wow...

And what a place to spin, too!

The cartwheel was bad-ass, I've never seen anyone do that. Nice job on the throw-and-catch, I've basically given up on that. You're really fluid and casual about it, too, which is a style I like.

Oh, and you have a good drummer. I miss my friend Richard. He could drum like that.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
I get it to download to the point right after you do the cartwheel, then it just stops. Tried it 3 times too I don't have a real ggod connection either...56k is the best i get. Skunk, are you going to the NYC BMan decompression in November? I'm hoping to get there for a visit soon!

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
the gods of 1337dom doth taketh pity oh children of the net. hear, then, oh children, of their remedy - the gift of download managers, for they shall guarantee thy resuming download happiness!

i wreckommend 'Flashget' as it allows thee to download a big phat mama of a file over several separate geek sessions in a week, plus also allows you to cheat in bandwidth and speed limits by opening up 5 or so connections to download the one file.

D/L haXoR war3zcuz b3nd3r 0wnZ joo noob campers!
(argh! not de_dust again! you clanners always put on @#$@ de_dust! )

[ 09 October 2002, 12:57: Message edited by: bender™ ]

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
'Tis a loverly gift for those in the realm of windows operating systems, but woe to us who use the Mac!

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Cartwheel? How have I never seen that one? I ain't lockin' my computer to download. Why buy the milk when you can get the cow for free, right?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
Why buy the milk when you can get the cow for free, right?
me likes the kewl phrase, mind if i nab it, NYC?

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Or just kidnap the milkman... then use the cow for hamburgers.

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
yo Skunk,

i'll send ya an e-mail from FireMikeZ@yahoo.com, would love to ftp your vid down, i DO have a good ftp program, and will treat your access respectfully & confidentially as i'm always known to do.

after about 10 tries, always quittin at or sickly before 2 MB last night, called that quits.

bender,

haven't used Flashget, used to use Go-Zilla tho it didn't always come up & grab things, and strange for that kind of supposedly ag program just kinda faded a way a while ago. somehow it's so much better being able to get somethin whole or just skip it than some of the mess of usin and timin use of those download managers, and since i'd mainly like it for tunes but users go offline at da other end, nix on dat fo now, bro

y'all gettin me horny to see this vid, all da bravos to Skunk on cartwheelz, sounds like you Le sh*t, PePe! (you turnin my skin darker, too now, what up, how bout dat?)

~ Mikie

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

4,224 posts

Posted:
::POUTS::
me wants to see Le Skunk goddamnit !!!
damn computers !!!

anyway ..; I guess in the worst case I can see it when I visit SD, Fire Mike ?

Knowing of Skunks energy and style though I encourage anyone with a computer worthy of being called so (as opposed to mine which is apparently closter to a snail, a bycicle or a swimming pool than to a decent computer ) to take a look at it ...

shine on
cass

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
thanx for the kind words...
sorry for all the technical difficulties we can't all be leetie haXx0rZ that pWnZ Da w3B. i will try and accomodate all who want the vid ftp style like i said just drop a email...

i will try to make a more current video with some new moves soon. thanks for showing me the neck wrap NYC i don't have any in my routine right now but will add them in (as soon as i figure out what to do with the other hand...hmmmmm double neck wrap?)

nyx i will be at the decompression and i'm sure with high visibility as i expect any day somebody to call me for help setting it up...should be a blast.

peax

Skunk

6,978 posts

Posted:
if a few peeps are willing to download the free 'Div-X' codec, i can convert any requested huge video files of any type to Div-X and re-distribute them with the author's permission - div-X is tiny and is the same techonology used to *ahem* personally backup a DVD full of video to a CD full of .AVI video with little significant loss of quality. Often a 8 to 1 size reduction, cuz someone set us up the bomb!

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
yo Bender, i'm up for that! where do we download it?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

6,978 posts

Posted:
um is Skunk okay with me touching his work? it's not to change the content per se, just recompress it for 56ker's basically.

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
skunk is fine with bender touching his, um, stuff. skunk was actually gonna divx his shiza on up hisself, but damn is he busy troubleshooting his freakin G4 quicksilver that got all sortsa MASHED because "somebody" had to put the new version of quicktime on it...

anyway skunk goes back to fighting technology now. also if bender sends the file back skunk can put it up on his lame html page.

thanx

skunk

4,224 posts

Posted:
are bender and Skunk flirting

that'd be wicked, bender, please do so

looking forward to watching it finally

shine on
cass

6,978 posts

Posted:
uh watch what? the video or bender breaking his court order?
*ahem* hey skunk, nice cartwheel there! u keep the mega poi in motion! :eek!:

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
hey bender

NICE VIDEO

POI THEO(R)IST

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra:
are bender and Skunk flirting
yes, and me too, we aren't touching each other at all (what the other 2 are doing on vids i can't see so i can't say), i'm fighting an old-fashioned html bug and downloading Validator troubleshooting programs myself right now.

Richee's got love for bender, probably actually for Le Skunk, but he's not in Prague, he's on another planet.

Richee, the video in this thread is Skunk's performance. did ya see another one of bender's we should all go run and watch? yo Richee? Offender®?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
FireMike

Le Skunk
Sorry and good luck.....

POI THEO(R)IST

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Richee

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

Spectremember
5 posts

Posted:
NICE!!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
20Mb on a modem.
Crickey

Well I'm glad It was worth it.

nice one mr le skunk.
Really nice between the leg stuff.

Ok technical question for you or bender(TM. Patented and all rights reserved) or anyone who knows the answer.

On the off chance that I had spent half the day editing together a similar little video....
Divx will sort me out nicely for video compression.
But what settings and image size do you recommend I use??, I was going for smoothness over image quality, but err help??
and
What codec should I use for the audio compression
does divy do that as well, or .... help.

be cool
Drew

6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by glass:

On the off chance that I had spent half the day editing together a similar little video....
Divx will sort me out nicely for video compression.
But what settings and image size do you recommend I use??, I was going for smoothness over image quality, but err help??
and
What codec should I use for the audio compression
does divy do that as well, or .... help.

we be talking video optimisation, with a focus on 56k portability - basically SIZE matters!
-i'd reduce the video to 320x240 (retaining TV aspect ratio of 4:3) remember that Div-X AVI video easily scales up, like most good video codecs!
-keeping sound is not justified, given that a reduced sized audio stream will not sound good enough to reatain for a 56k d/l
-The vid runs as a quicktime rate of 12.5 fps, so expoert to this (twirling should be saved at least the same as the video fps. Interpolation/morphing to get more frames for this job is right out.)
-I won't perform a gamma-filter to add brightness, cus my computer at home is old and krusty.
-div-x can output most audio codecs, with version 4+ being able to use surround sound for your pirating pleasure, with mp3 being the pir8's choice for div-x's sound streaming. please see above for sound preferences for this export.
-as a fire and IT nut, i hereby offer my services to any keen fwirlers who have any difficulties at all converting video tapes(me have a video-in on my box), files to tight sized video downloadz. As a standing offer too, since it's in the spirit of getting people 'round the world excited about fire.

if sickpuppy were here he'd say 'if you love something set it on fire'

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Wow Bender thanks,

Ok, the resize thing cool,
The no music thing, not cool, I think this one is muct bettererer with sound.

extra question
So lets say from premier 6 or virtual dub.
I want to get some phat MP3 like sound compression action. err help me please.
in premier divx 4 gives me 2 options, one is
slider from smoothness to crispness,
the other is bit rate, what do you recommend??
and what do they mean.

and if sickpuppy were here, i'd ask Where is Here anyway???
where is sickpuppy anyway?

lots of gloves
Drew
__
be

[ 11 October 2002, 15:11: Message edited by: glass ]

6,978 posts

Posted:
div-x sound can be mp3 technology
i would love the bongoes too, cus i have a thing for em! but we're talking about creating the lowest possible hurdles for non-broadband people!
everything included in the final version must be justified, especially if further compression compromises quality.
When in doubt, render your maximum and minimum crispness and see if the difference justifies the added size. Keep in mind that a copied sound never gets better than the original (unless you have 1337 audigy sound hardwarez)
As for bitrate, it refers to how much data is allocated for each second of sound, measured in kilobits per second.
as a general rule..

64k makes me cry ang gnash my teeth aka radio. High frequencies like the letter 's' sound like a farting bouncy castle. Low bassy frequencies are all but legend in this realm.128k is quite accepted as the slightly off CD quality bitrate. It is what most mp3z sound like. I listen on SonyMDJ700 Monitors, and if you know what they are, you can take my word for it that 128k is closer to CD sound than it is not. The excellentest compromise for quality to compactness. at this rate, it is a rule of thumb that you get a minute at this quality for a megabyte of data.320k the 'what-are-you-fucking-crazy?' bitrate - more filesize for little extra quality. Records detail that u usually can't hear on most speakers/headphones. Fills up your harddisk tho
There are many other bitrates, but these are the three main attributes at different ends of the scale.
also, there is sampling fequency - how many times a sample is taken per second, measured in hurts. it's called hurts cus of the curse of the Gabba. For you see Gabba harms all.
The roof is usually 44kilohurts, and for the purposes of other cablers wanting to hear the bongo, ya should export at the rate of skunk's original file.
*phew*!
ah now let's talk firetwirling.
I like fire.

Page: