DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Some of you will remember on COL2, Wildfire Entertainment, the stunning fellow with the braids. I had the pleasure to meet him and become friends while he taught us the ways of the poi one night long ago. As fine a person as I have ever met.

It grieves me to bring you all this news.

Our beloved friend and inspiration Nasu Dyami passed yesterday morning while doing one of his most favorite things...bodysurfing in the ocean. Services are to be announced (if I can find the information in time) and i invite you all to send your love and support to the many, many friends of Nasu.

If anyone has more information about this tragic event, please share it with us here, as well as any information regarding services.

Rest in peace, friend.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Rest in Peace.

Though I didn't know this person my thought are with his family and friends.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Peace and respect: I felt connect to him even tho i never meet him. Its makes me feel sad, reflecting on all the stars that have fallen.

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I met Nasu at BurningMan a couple of years ago -- 2002, the year that he helped organize a gathering of HOPers. I've gotten to know him a little bit better over the last few months as he and Phoenix have been living in San Francisco... We were by no means close, but I was looking forward to spending more time with him.

One of the best spinners I've EVER met, he never seemed to feel the need to prove anything to anyone -- he simply knew that he had the skills. He's an inspiration to many of us who know him. He was like a mischievous elf... always introducing a bit of levity and offering his smile while defying your expectations.

I know everyone copes with grief in a different way... and right now I'm in a bit of shock and confusion... talking to various people on the phone and trying to digest what this means... but we will definitely be honoring Nasu in the days to come and thinking about the hole in our lives that was once filled by his spirit.
EDITED_BY: Orbit (1108348529)

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
.:cries:. that's not groovy. it's been said that a person doesn't truely die until they are no longer remembered. let's keep him alive.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
frown frown frown frown frown frown frown frown frown

i take a moment of silence to remember a shining soul.

I hope i am not alone in this silence and time to reflect on the preciousness of life that was kindly given to us in our existance.
Let us remember Nasu and let his spirit and his poi light the way to his future.

my thoughts are with his familly and friends.

Nasu thank you for sharing your qualities with us.

ciao mio l'amico. hug

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
frown wow, that's horrible. i never met him in person, but talked to him over email. he offered to help me improve my poi skills. i'm friends with a few of his good friends too. my thoughts are out to his family and friends frown

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
I remember.
May his spirit have strength on the remainder of his journey, as he walks again with his ancestors.
May the life he shared give strength and inspiration to his friends still here.
Aho.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

This was taken around a year ago when Nasu was able to come visit me at school (he's the one on the right).

I knew Nasu, probably not as well as his close friends and the performers from Wildfire in Chicago, but he taught me a lot about spinning and more importantly, life in general. He seemed to live every moment like an adventure, and I'd say my little sister described him best, as a "very nice weird person." That was him - a very unconventional point of view, but a free spirit that didn't seem to have a nasty bone in his body.

I always hoped I would be able to repay him for the time he devoted to teaching me, but he never asked for anything in return aside from passing what I learned on to others. His candle burned brightly, and he'll live on in the memories of everyone that knew him, even if it was just for a short while.
EDITED_BY: Dio (1108359311)

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Dan all my heart felt condolences to you and your friends and his friends.

Peace and Love and Firelight

ubbcrying

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Just an update. I am in dirrect contact now with someone who can give details exact. If anyone needs it, I have a phone number for one of Nasu's closest friends. PM me and I will give it to you, or ask here and I will make the call for you.

Here is the Email I received just now.

"As you already know - Nasu drowned Sat morning while bodysurfing at Ocean Beach. Below is the latest update from Phoenix (his girlfriend) on memorial info. Feel free to contact me directly for any additonal info. I will post here once plans are more certain. And please, if you know of a less christian/pagan friendly mortuary, call me at ***-***-****. We need to find one asap.

~M~

I know that many of you are waiting for info on
memorials, etc. I will tell you what I know.

I know that his body is to be released in the next 24
hours and then he will go to a mortuary. A few of us
will see him one last time. I think this is going to
be only me and his parents. There will be no formal
showing if I can help it. His body will then be set
aflame and that's that.

Any memorial services that will be held will be at our
house in Outer Sunset (or on the beach nearby). I
know that he would prefer to have everything low key.
I have no dates yet planned, but I'm sure there will
be a few.

So if you are traveling this way, know that there are
many places for you to stay. Please come whenever, as
there are people traveling in from out of town as late
as next month. Even though there is no "formal
service" I would love for people to come out.

Please pass this letter on to other lists and to
Nasu's friends not on this list. I have only posted
here.

If anyone knows of, or can help me find a reputable
mortuary in San Francisco (that's a little less
christian) I really need to find one by tonight.
Please help if you can. That is one of the main
things I need right now.

I am so thankful of your support. Without it I don't
know what condition I'd be in. At least now I can
focus on breathing and trying to walk.

love and light,

phoenix "

So if anyone is going to make the trip, and needs info, let me know and I will do my best to help. hug

Peace and Love,
Dantana

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
For those who are in the Bay Area, there will be a memorial for Nasu tomorrow (see below).

Orbit

------------
For those of you who would like to attend a memorial for Nasu, the first will be tomorrow (there will be another this weekend - no set date/time yet).

Tomorrow, Tuesday, Feb 15th
1 pm til dark
At suset we'll walk to the beach & spin fire

To take place at Phoenix & Nasu's home
1471 45th Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94122 (off of Judah).

There is a big garden in the backyard that Phoenix would like to make into an altar for him. Bring drums, flutes, and your fire gear and we'll walk to Ocean Beach to watch sun sets and spin
for his spirit.

Food will be provided.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Thank you, Orbit.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
frown

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Here's more information about donations to help pay for Nasu's cremation...

Orbit

> Hello,
>
> Please forward this to any lists you feel appropriate.
>
> As you all know, Nasu died last weekend while learning
> to surf off the
> San Francisco coast. Nasu touched all of us in a very
> deep way, and we
> mourn the loss of his bright light, while
> acknowledging he will remain
> with us forever.
>
> Nasu's abrupt departure from this world leaves many
> details needing
> attention which require money. These include cremation
> services to set
> him afire. Phoenix, understandably, will not be
> working while grieving
> her loss. Her bills need attending to.
>
> If you are able and willing to contribute, please get
> in touch soon,
> and let me know the amount of your contribution.
> Please forward this
> message to any people or lists you feel appropriate.
>
> honor_of_nasu@fiolink.com
> my cell phone: 415 341-6704
>
> I apologize for these graphic money-oriented details.
> These are to
> explain the reasoning for our goal.
>
> $ 1500 cremation (bare minimum, likely more)
> $ 1000 rent (a guess for SF rent)
> $ 200 food
> ----------------------
> $ 2700 minimum total needed
>
> $ 1400 has been raised so far! Out of respect for
> everyone, the amounts
> of donations will remain anonymous.
>
> These costs are estimates. Actual costs will be known
> later this week.
> If it's determined more is needed, I'll send another
> request, but
> otherwise, this will be the only message asking for
> help. I'll also
> send a message when our goal has been met.
>
> Family and friends are gathering in San Francisco,
> Denver, New York,
> and elsewhere this weekend to pay tribute to Nasu's
> bright light. If
> there isn't a group gathering near you, please don't
> feel alone. Call
> someone to share your feelings, and spend some time in
> silence this
> weekend in his memory.
>
> PEACE
> LOVE,
> .Spaceman

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Again, sorry for the short notice, but if anyone is in San Francisco reading this on Wednesday night, the shroud which will cover Nasu's body during the cremation is being decorated tonight. The address for this is 1654 The Great Highway, near Moraga. It's a friend's house...

Orbit

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
> Saturday Evening
> A Final Remembrance Gathering
> We will meet at Phoenix's Home between 4 and 5pm then
> walk to the beach
> for a sunset fair well to our dear friend. All are
> welcome.
>
> Pot luck to follow

> 1471 45th Ave
> San Francisco CA 94112
>
> this is the tinyurl to get to a map of this location
> https://tinyurl.com/6v4um

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Nasu's body will burn on Thursday at 11:30am Pacific time, for 2 hours... This is a good time to have a moment of silence, say a prayer, or light a candle to honor Nasu.

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Latest details on Saturday's burn:
------------
> You are all invited to join us this Saturday, please meet at
> Phoenix's home between 4 and 5 pm. We will start walking to
> the beach at 5 pm.
>
> Please bring items for the shrine or to burn. Potluck to follow
> back at the house.
>
> Phoenix's Home
> 1471 45th Ave (near Judah)
> San Francisco CA 94112
>
> this is the tinyurl to get to a map of this location
> https://tinyurl.com/6v4um

>
> Michael Moss is looking for someone to take charge of
> building a fire on the beach for our gathering on Saturday
> evening. Paul Jourgenson and the Gamelon will be at the
> beach and would like a fire burning on the beach when we
> arrive at 5 pm. If any one would like to take this up, please
> contact Michael aat 970.846.6233 and Paul 510.499.6016 to
> find out where we will be setting up.
>
> See you all on Saturday.

Elemental666GOLD Member
45 posts

Posted:
I'm Nasu's oldest friend. I grew up with him in Oklahoma and met up with him all over the US throughout his life. The family has asked me to try to communicate with the rest of Nasu's world. Unfortunately I was not able to find everyone. But then I knew other's were working on this as well. I would personally like to thank those of you who have had memorial services, attended these services, sent love and condolences and were part of Nasu's life.

The services in San Fran were wonderful, close friends and family members were able to pay their last respects before seeing Nasu enter the flame one last time. There was a precession to the beach from Nasu and Pheonix's place on Saturday that was one of the most moving and powerful events I've ever witnessed. Having known Nasu for near 20 years, that says alot. I was honored to spin for the first time ever with Nasu's poi on the beach where the elements finally claimed him. My thanks to those who made that possible.

For those of you who are in the Oklahoma area there will be a local service held in Nowata. We are working the details out now. This will be a more Christian setting and is mainly for those friends and family in the area who did not travel to SF. However, I would love to meet the Stillwater gang and I'm sure Nasu's mother would be more than happy to give you a hug and thank you personally. Details available via email: jed.green AT gmail DOT com.

For those of you not in the area that would like to participate or honor Nasu in some way, fear not. I've been given the honor, by his mother, to dispose of some of his ashes at this year's Burn. This is will be my first year at the burn and I have not quite figured out what to do there concerning Nasu. However, he will be traveling with me. I'll post more info at the time draws nearer and plans take shape.

Please do not flood my email concerning the plans for the Burn, we have 6 months and I'm not making firm plans for the ceremony, or whatever, in any hurry.

The family has asked that any gifts, donations, etc etc you would like to make go directly to Pheonix. I can help facilitate that if you do not know how to reach her, use the email above.

To all Oklahomans who knew Nasu: Please contact me, I'm eager to meet you and share our experiences with Nasu. He talked highly of you guys.

Much love,

-J

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Check your Email, Jed hug

Elemental666GOLD Member
45 posts

Posted:
I gotcha bud, I think I might have botched the directions, but I'll have the address for you tomorrow...

See you soon beerchug

Jkaremember
19 posts

Posted:
I just have to give a proper congratulations to Elemental for an incredible first burn! He started to learn Poi in Chicago while visiting Nasu during holloween a few years ago and has been practicing for a long time. He used Nasu's poi for an incredible first burn, which was beauty to behold.

I say proudly, that the ceremony on the beach was an honor to bear witness to. So many people, so much love. I can not think of a better way to honor Nasu than to have one of his bretheren light up to send him out to the stars.

Thank you to everyone for the beauty which is still unfolding before us. Nasu's life and memory have a long way to go before it and HE disappears into this good night.

Jkare

IT is

TI me to release my brother to the universe

Jkare
It's Time

Salama mpira wa moto