BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
Just wondering how everyone has dealt with drunken idiots ruining your fire show while busking on the streets? I had one guy walk up so close to me I had to stop spinning cause I was about to crack him in the face. He wouldnt piss off and I couldn't floor the guy cause there were kids around. (and too many witnesses). Normally if I guy did that at a party I'de light him on fire and people would find it bloody hilerious but out on the street its different. What to do...

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
I'm so with you man.
"giv ush a go a tha thing."
"No no it's dangerous, you'll burn."
"Ahhh fuuushin, ah can do it tis eashy."

What do you do.
Tell them to fuck off and get into a bout a fisticuffs with so wino to pissed to stand.
Watch them burn and be held responsible.
Watch them fuck off with your nice new spangling fire poi.

We make it look to easy I think that is the problem. The curse of fire dancers, dealing with drunk know-it-alls.

T.

" and god created lighter fluid."

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

scarebear1member
7 posts

Posted:
Thats when you start playing with your staff. If he gets in the way, it was an accident!!! Im from Subi, do you busk much down that way? Its hard to find poi in Perth compared tp other cities.

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
always have a safety.

preferably one with a tazer.

"oh my... he must have passed out from the fumes. This is why you should stay back, folks."

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
A spare set of rock hard poi is a good idea sometimes - ask them to prove they can spin before you give them the fire poi.
They'll soon back down when they start hitting themselves hard enough to leave bruises the size of a melon.

I've got a set I use to persuade my friends that they're too drunk to spin. They're monkeyfist knots full of clay and I've named them 'The Nutcrunchers' since they've left people on the floor after messing up the butterfly.
Giving them to my friends may seem a little harsh, but the way I see it is that my friends should already know how dangerous the fire is. If they chose to put me into the position where I have to refuse point blank what my friends are asking, then they need reminding how much it can hurt.
Oh, and yes, I have fallen victim to The Nutcrunchers - they were the first proper set of poi I had so I know exactly how much thy hurt.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
the other night, i was just lit up and about to start spinning when sum townys started shoutin stuff like "do it topless" and other really minging stuff, i was quite scared as i'm only 14 and they were all about 19/20 but the thing 2 do is just ignore them and they'll hopefull go away...

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
You got it in one, CPG!

There is a number of things to do in these situations, but they all basically come back to what you said.

Part of busking is dealing with the hecklers, (although I must admit, them asking you to do that must have been pretty frightening).

PArt of busking is also knowing when it is time to pack up and go home if you feel physically threatened. No matter what the outcome, if there is a fight, it will often be blamed on you by th emedia, if not the authorities as well, so it is best to avoid fights at all costs.

A good thing to remember though, if you stay polite, don't use any foul words and stoically put up with hecklers, the rest of the crowd will give you a lot more money! Dealing with hecklers is sure-fire way to show people you are a professional entertainer, rather than someone who just has "the skills" of firedancing.

CPG I hope you have a few friends neraby whenever you busk, as young girls busking can sometimes be a target for the bad elements in town at night. I know its not fair, and the world shouldn't be this way, but it is the way it is sometimes. Please be careful when busking at night, nad make sure it is a densely populated area with open business's (and preferably bouncers in view)...

Anyway, that's my rant...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I wonder what the legal consequences would be of defending yourself from (possibly sexual) assault with a flaming poi. If I were a prosecutor, I'd refuse to press any charges.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
CPG I get yelled at to spin topless quite often as well and the way that I deal with it is by asking the drunkest guy there if he is willing to play with the lit poi naked and do some leg wraps..(which I show him ) Their eyes usually widen a bit and say "nah, she'll be right!" and stagger off muttering about crazy fire people... other than that, dont EVER spin by yourself, not only for protection, but also for fire safty reasons... light to you hun.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
MikeGinny.

If you were a prosecutor, with no knowledge of busking or firedancing, and you heard that...

"Some guy got into a drunken fight in town and bashed his opponent with a ball of fire on a chain."

I think you would prosecute them in an instant, regardless of who started it.

I certainly would, if I didn't have my background in performing arts.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Maybe, but if there were witnesses to describe that a female street performer was attacked by a drunk man who had been urging her to remove her shirt and that female street performer used a flaming weapon in self-defense, I don't think I'd press charges.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
I hadn't really thought about spinning on my own, but, I guess your right-thing is, none of my friends really want to come and watch as the y can't firdance and get bored. One of them does poi, and that's about all she gets up 2, so...
Any way, thanks for the advice, I'll remember it in future...

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
Scarebear I busk in freo if its not raining and I'm not performing at a party which ends up about once every two or three weeks sometimes more in the school holidays in summer but I spin a staff and not poi.

Yeah you can get seriously fucked up by the law when assaulting someone with a flaming staff of doom. 30 guys tried to smash up my friends house after a party cause we kicked out two of their friend's earlier on that night cause they were breaking stuff. most people had gone home so they outnumbered us 2:1 yet even though every single one of them was armed with iron bars and trolley poles three of us came out with our lit fire staves (We were dancing out the back when they rocked up) and damn we kicked some fuckin ass. About 14 of us ended up chasing them down the street. Although I spose I would have to mention that half of us are involved in a 'Fight Club' if any of you have seen the movie. The police had trouble believing we fought off 30 guys (we forgot to mention our flaming staves of pain). Pretty much all of us did get hit a few times though, mainly from pussies throwing the trolley poles and running.

try doing a martial arts course in bow fighting, it will open up your mind about the way a staff can be swung.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.