Forums > Social Discussion > A rant about drunk spinners

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Cloud Sparkmember
4 posts

Posted:
Hi. I'm actually a very well-known member of the board. Look at my login name and you can probably figure out who I am if you free-associate for a second. I'm going to rant about someone I know in person and it's possible that she might read this (even though she doesn't usually visit the board), so I'm using this alter-ego in hopes of staying out of trouble.

So I was doing some fireplay for a party. The space that I had was too small for poi, but large enough for fire eating and tracing. I had just finished my act when she showed up, drunk off her a$$, and DEMANDING that I let her spin fire with my poi, which I wouldn't let anyone do in that space even if they sober. And she got really pissy about it when I flat-out refused. I told her she could use my beamers or my LED glow sticks and after pissing at me and telling me to stop being such a safety nazi, she finally tried out my LED glowstick poi.

And she SUCKED!!! I mean, she could do the forward two-beat weave and the windmill and that's it. And she hit herself three times in the first 15 seconds. I let her use my beamers on the condition that she first touch one to her forehead to understand how dangerous they were and she hit herself with those, too. (My view is that I don't care if you hurt yourself as long as you don't hurt anyone else, which is why fire was out of the question).

Sorry, I just wanted to vent. I hate incompetent drunk people who think they can get off demanding to spin fire with my poi. mad mad mad mad

Oh, and if you figure out who I am, PLEASE don't post my real name as that would defeat the purpose of this alter-ego. rolleyes

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I agree with lightning. there SHOULD be a board rule about it.. in fact I dont like the 'light hearted' "whats the worst firespinning accident you have had" thread either, its like people are proud about the accidents!!! Not cool.
people wake up, fire is so powerful. This is about everyones safety....
If your drunk, go home and pass out... dont light up. mad

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

peaches**86943thats sooooo not where i parked my car...................
198 posts

Posted:
just because some people have different life styles and ideas to other members of this board is no reason to go and judge them by
just because some of us here are younger than you, are newer to the art of spinning then you are or live in a totally different country to you.
you shouldnt go ape sh!t at their veiws on things
just a suggestion you might want to think about it
ubbidea

we cant stop here its bat country!!!!!!!!!!!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
peaches you just said that you are newer to spinning than a lot of us here.
Maybe you might listen to the few of us who have been twirling here longer than you and are trying to help you by sharing safety tips that could save your life. Yet you seem to be alienating quite a few hoppers who are addressing the problem of people who show lack of respect for fire and also the safety of others.

I had to adminster first aid to a CHILD the other night because of some drunk who couldnt control their firestaff properly and it flung into the little kid.

maybe you should think about THAT before you light up next time your drinking. umm

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

198 posts

Posted:
valura i wasnt posting that message about me i was refering to the board and members as a WHOLE
im not alienating any one
in fact my dear it seems to be you that singles people out if i am correct biggrin

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
there are rights and wrongs when it comes to fire peaches...arsn, dentrassi, lightning and I are speaking for plenty of us here that take fire safety and twirling seriously.
Yes I will point out if you have holes in what you are saying. Im not going to excuse fire stupidity that could put my life at risk just because your drunk.
Quite frankly who cares if people live on the other side of the world or not. Safety is international.

198 posts

Posted:
thats fine by me im safe with what i do
any ways
im off for a drink and then maybe a fire twirl ubbangel

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
C'mon now ladies, calm down, I agree that spinning when drunk is not a very good idea but i can't say whithout blatantly lying that i have never spun fire whilst intoxicated and im sure that many people on this board are the same.
Valura is right that fire safety is a very big issue that people should address at any kind of spininng session.
Peaches is 15 and may not know anyone who has had any really bad eek experiences with fire (suggest u read pele's story) so may not see any danger in spinning whilst under the influence, all valura's is tryin 2 do peaches is help you see that fire is dangerous to you and people around you.

anyhows seeya

peace

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i constantly spin when im drunkand i see nothing wrong with it...................(p.s why are beamers so dangerous)

Beamers can be dangerous because of their weight and hardness, quite a few people here have damaged themselves with them. For example, a very good spinner broke his nose and chipped a tooth with them.

IMO the main problem is going to be when spinning fast, unless you can be 100% certain of not hitting yourself.

I've got a set and they're not a problem cos I spin slow.

Main thing, if you get some, is to stat well within your limits, also, get some bubble wrap and secure with rubber bands to pad them up.

As for alcohol, I can see why you'd see some of the responses to seem as if they're trying to limit personal liberty, but, people here have had a lot of experience with fire and have seen and heard of some bad stuff, including severe burns, maimings and fatalities.

I've got a friend who almost died in a breathing accident, very experienced and very sober.

Even completely sober accidents can and do happen, one of the best preventitives is to be alert and focused, being drunk heavily diminishes that (which is why people despise drunk driving so much).

I disagree with this: -

Quote:

I could give a flying fig if you wind up in the ICU with burns over 90% of your body surface area. That's your own stupidity. But with fire, you risk hurting everyone else.

I do care, because you're young and inexperienced and you don't deserve a six month hospital stay and a ruined life.

I hope you can come to see focus on safety and not drinking/taking drugs whilst spinning as being not a restriction on your freedom, but as an expression of self respect and caring for your life and those around you.

Dave.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
we are all adults here and while some of spinners do spin drunk, or stoned, or on drugs

we do run exactky the same risk when soader as we do when drunk!

its just as easy to mess up when sober as it is drunk you know!

as for drinking, i have seen spinners drink and spin, smoke and spin, in fact i have been in a kitched with certain mebers of this thread who were stoned and drunk and still able to teach me moves and tricks!

lets face it the scene has a large drug and booze culture that is growing?

Step (el-nombrie)

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
thats so lovely dave... thanks for putting it in such a nice way... hug

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

we are all adults here and while some of spinners do spin drunk, or stoned, or on drugs

we do run exactky the same risk when soader as we do when drunk!

its just as easy to mess up when sober as it is drunk you know!

as for drinking, i have seen spinners drink and spin, smoke and spin, in fact i have been in a kitched with certain mebers of this thread who were stoned and drunk and still able to teach me moves and tricks!

lets face it the scene has a large drug and booze culture that is growing?

Some aren't adults, there's under age young people here.

I disagree that it's just as easy to mess up sober, if you're straight you're far more alert.

A trip into town or a casualty unit on a friday night will show the loss of control leading to accidents and violence that accompanies drinking.

being able to teach and being safe to spin are not necessarily related.

In my experience the scenes 'drug and booze' culture is shrinking, probably as a result of some of the sensible stuff posted here by experienced spinners.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

thats so lovely dave... thanks for putting it in such a nice way... hug

Thanks for that Valura smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i think it would be silly of me not to admit my statment was vauge and inaccurate, i noticed this when i re-read it about 10mins later, but didnt have chance to change it at thta point.

What i mean dave is while i do understand that it is very easy for a drunk person to lose control and endanger themselves and other around them, it is just as easily done to do when you are sober. You know i am staright, i dont touch drugs or drink and i have still caught myslef on several occasions. and to pick a particular incident to prove this (no offence silver shadow) but teh rotherham pip, i was with you while we were explaining about our safty worries, and i was also one of the ones asking them to move away from us!

I also know, while yes indeed i do agree that a trip to A&E would show this up to be a very simple statment.

I think there are a few spinners on here who will tell of acidnet that have happened while they are sober, just as much as when other will tell you of acinents when pissed.

Spinning sober is just as dangerous as spinning drunk, due to you are still playing with a dangerous object.

as for the sttment of adulthood on here, i was assuming that all spinner who were using fire were of teh age to know better, and to behave responsible with fire.

i know this argumnet will be blown out of the water by you dave, you always do, its why i love talking to you....you are an amazing person to talk to and more amazing to watch, hope you are ok dave

laterdays

Step (el-nombrie)

198 posts

Posted:
fire is dangerous wether you are playing with it stoned, drunk, sober or otherwise
its just funny to me because myself, my mates and random twirlers i have met have all agreed that they burn them selves more when they are sober
preference is preference
opinion is opinion
i am thankful that the older more experienced twirlers here are just trying to look out for our well being and safety
but some people are better off learning from their own mistakes

i am apologising to valura and lightning for my anger towards them earlier but in return i would like forgiveness and the same apology
learn and move away from mistakes

love peaches

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I like to think I'm not here to 'blow peoples arguments out of the water' smile

Hopefully my ego doesn't require that kind of boosting. The stuff I do respond to is stuff that I have come to believe is worth commenting on, one of which is safety.

I know accidents happen when sober- my very scary incident of lost vision in one eye for an evening, due to a meteor wick impact happened when I was spinning, as I always spin, completely sober.

Then again it's possible to walk across a road blind folded with ear muffs and survive, but wearing muffs and a blindfold is obviously going to make it much more likely that you're going to get hit.

Same with fire, loads of people spin wrecked and survive, some spin sober and still get hit. The point is that spinning wrecked is more likely to lead to accidents.

I suspect with relative beginners that the issue is clouded by the fact that many see being hit as a normal part of spinning, due to their lack of control.

If I ever hit myself with fire then I'm going to want to know why, I see it as a serious mistake.

Quote:

Spinning sober is just as dangerous as spinning drunk, due to you are still playing with a dangerous object.

I see what you're saying here, a wick wrapped round a sober arm will be as destructive as one wrapped round a drunk arm; however, I would say that the arm of the sober person is less likely to befall that fate, partly because they will be spinning with more control, also, in the event of problems they are more likely to have previously set out safety equipment and be capeable of remembering where it is in the dark.

So basically, I'm quibbling with the statement that spinning sober is just as dangerous as spinning sober.

Quote:

as for the sttment of adulthood on here, i was assuming that all spinner who were using fire were of teh age to know better, and to behave responsible with fire.

it would be nice if we could assume that, but there's been several posts on HOP about people as young as 6 spinning fire, and at one Teapots fire meet we had a 10-12 yr old wanting to demonstrate his fire breathing.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

its just funny to me because myself, my mates and random twirlers i have met have all agreed that they burn them selves more when they are sober

Interesting, see my previous post for one possible explanation.

Another factor is that being drunk is not the best state for making accurate judgements about such stuff. For one thing your pain threshold is higher when drunk.

Hopefully, the accidents that you're going to learn from will just be minor niggling small burns rather than horrors like one guy I know whose wick wrapped tight round his arm and locked solid.

I also hope that you and your friends aren't fire breathing. Some accidents will teach you a lot but leave you in the position of not really having much of a life left to apply the lesson to.

Like many, I was pulled into spinning by the lure of fire, now I see so much negativity where the fires concerned- the filth and toxicity of fuel, the terrible accidents I've heard of on this board and the friend who almost died in hospital; also the misleading information I see posted by those who insist it all comes down to preference and opinion.

I hope you can come to see that the true value of spinning is in the motions and movements of unlit poi- pure. safe, simple and accerssible to everyone.

Fire is just an extra, and will be considerably safer if you've spent serious hours with good slow controlled unlit spinning, and stay clear headed and sober while doing it.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

just because some people have different life styles and ideas to other members of this board is no reason to go and judge them by
just because some of us here are younger than you

Peaches, it's not about your views or your age. It's not about whether you "spin better" drunk. It's about how you respond to it when a poi head comes flying off your poi, goes singing through the air, and you're too buzzed to figure out where it went and it landed in a dumpster.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm going to say it a third time.

IT'S NOT ABOUT WHETHER YOU BURN YOURSELF.

Maybe, Peaches, you do need a little ICU stay to teach you that you aren't immortal. Maybe you'll grow up.

But in the mean time, YOU ARE PUTTING OTHER LIVES IN DANGER.

I want you to answer these questions:

1) Are you aware that poi heads can come off poi during a burn?

2) Are you aware that trees, being made of wood, will burn?

3) Are you aware that garbage dumpsters, which are often in parking lots near where people spin fire, will also go up in flames?

4) Are you aware that it is a fact proven by multiple scientific studies that drunk people are not able to deal well with emergencies?

Answer those four because I don't even think you're reading my posts at all.

-Mike

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I wrote a post but it was too sarcastic. I've had students killed by drunk drivers. Anyone who is boasting about being safe when drunk should be banned from this site. It's a horrible statement that needs no counter arguement. It's dangerous, irresponsible, immature and gives all firespinners a bad name.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
what happened to cloudspark, eh? confused
Where'd he go? wink
biggrin

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I have no idea, but whoever he is, he's got his head set on straight.

-Mike

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
for the record i would like to state i agree with onewheeldave, lightning, nyc and all thos epinners here who have said they are against spinner who drink and spin!

there is no way it is responicible to do! pls forgive me if any of my prevoius sttments have lead ppl to belive i think its ok to spin drunk?

Step (el-nombrie)

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
**applaudes malcolm**

Thanks Malcolm thats fantastic!!! hug

198 posts

Posted:
ta malcom smile

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
yay! everyones happy!!

peace, love, and hugz to all!!
peace ubblove hug

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
Its nice to see people in the majority are staying safe and sensible in this post.
But one thing that i dont understand is why it seems people are against spinning while drunk, but dont seem to mind people spinning while stoned. How come??, this isn't a personal attack, but as far as i see it its still mind altering and unsafe. I don't smoke anymore, but knowing the effects, how come its not seen in the same light as drinking?
Im just interested... smile

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I think people feel the same way about both actually. Drinking was the only issue that actually came up in this thread, but if smoking had as well, I'm sure it would have gotten the same response. At least I think the two are equally as bad while spinning fire.

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
Sorry for going off track slightly, its just a thought i had. I haven't read much about spinning while stoned tis all. smile
Just wondered about it.

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i completely agree that using fire whilst under the influence of alcohol is an unsafe practise.

Isn't spinning fire an unsafe practise anyway? That argument has been answered with statements that fire under the influence of alcohol is less safe, but the same is true of using equipment with outsize wicks, firebreathing, and any other number of non-forbidden topics of discussion.

i believe people should be free to take this (and any other) risk as they choose, where it does not unduly affect the safety of those who are not choosing to risk their health.

that would include spectators who are uninformed as to your state of inebriation and\or the dangers associated with firespinning. They are not making the choice to take the risk, as they are unaware of it.

But if myself and a friend choosing to risk our health by taking intoxicants and playing with fire ~
(with no flammable persons, buildings or vegetation in the vicinity)
~ then what's the problem? confused

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
The problem arises when/if something happens to you. If that something is serious (requiring medical attention) and a police report gets filed (it can happen). It then becomes more difficult for those of us who are responsible about when and how we spin to do so legally.

For instance, look at the results of the Great White catastrophe. That made the rules and regulations for fire spinning in the state of TX more stringent. That wasn't a result of any TX spinners, but what the state legislators thought was a safety precaution.

Now, I'm not saying that those regulations are bad because I think it is good to have some sort of safety measures, I'm just saying that if more and more accidents happen, we might not be able to legally do what we do, even with safety precautions.

It's just something to think about simian. If you do choose to play around while altered, please at least make sure you've got someone coherent enough with something to put you out.

Page: