Laytinmember
111 posts

Posted:
Last night I returned home from my Turkey day vacation and on the side of the highway is a sign giving the number of smoking (tobaco) related deaths. It was at 410,??? for this year, I go past it this morning and it has been updated to 411,???!! 1000 people have died due to tobaco in a day!! That is more than people killed in a car crash world wide! I am also pretty sure that the billboard was representing the US alone! Imagine what the number is world wide!!!

I dont smoke, and in fact in California you can not smoke in public places (bars restraunts etc) but I do work in a bar, and the outside smoke area that we have is actually just a bit smaller than the actualy bar area (meaning table seating excluded) about 10'x20'. Every night after closing I clean up that area and I swear I find two or three cartons of butts laying on the ground!

It is amazing how willing people are to go out and kill themselves! Not to mention the amount of money it takes to do so! I do wonder when people will learn that injesting something like smoke, be it tobaco or other, is INCREADIBLY BAD FOR YOU!!!

Please, for those who smoke, stop it is better for your pocketbook and your lungs that way. For those who know and love people who smoke, if you really care about that person ask them to stop. Even if you loose a friend over it, if I had a friend who smokes and in order to get them to stop I would have to loose them as a friend, I would in a heart beat.

In the words of Spock, "Live long and prosper."

Wisdom calls aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the public squares; at the head of noisy streets she cries out, in the gateways of the city she makes her speech:

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i agree. i hate smoking. older people who smoke are more understandable because when they started the dangers wouldnt have been so publicised for for all those who are starting now - they definately should know better!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
erm, like any of US can talk about knowing better, we play with fire on a regular basis...

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i agree. i hate smoking. older people who smoke are more understandable because when they started the dangers wouldnt have been so publicised for for all those who are starting now - they definately should know better!

The dangers were made known in the mid-1960's. I think that many people who were smoking then and didn't stop are dead by now.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
On the other hand, by not smoking you can justify buying yourself cool stuff; if you were on 20 a day that'd be £4.50 or so that you've burned, so £30 a week. That's a new set of fire poi every week you can get with the money you've saved by not smoking.

Mind you I've bought so much that way it would be way cheaper if I did.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
my old rowing coach made a deal with a crew of him (luckily it wasnt me or i would have killed him! oh wait! he smokes! and drinks! so he's going to die anyway!)...
if they committed himself to winter training, he was going to quit smoking. so they dedicated themselves and he didnt smoke.....or so we thought! he'd been smoking the entire time at home! just never around any rowers! ok so quitting smoking isnt that easy but what a dirty trick! they stuck to their half of the deal and he didnt stick to his! he really should have told them! not get slack and pull out a packet at a regatta one day! we nearly killed him!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...