Page:
dark dnbmember
1 post

Posted:
ive been trying to learn a basic weave for over 2 weeks now, and im so frustrated im ready to quit. Ive repeatedly hit myself in the face and in the crotch, and its just not fun anymore. I can do the first two beats on one side but when i try to switch over, *SMACK*... *gasp* does anyone know of any other places where i can get a more detailed explanation of this? ill invest in a cup if theres any hope of me figuring this out someone help?

Cryanthmember
1 post

Posted:
I'm very new to this whole thing, but I can still remember pulling off my first 3 beat weave.

I'm assuming you're coming close to hitting yourself in the jewels.

Don't try to fight your poi back to where it came from. Everything is VERY circular and works on momentum. If the poi WANTS to go back to the left side, chances are, that's where it needs to be. If you're where I think you are, you probably already have 2 beats done and the poi is drifting back to the left side just as it's finishing up the third. Let your hand follow it over and continue the weave on the other side.

I kept fighting the poi back over to the right and significantly reduced my chances of having children.

Spin Doctormember
34 posts

Posted:
I always find it takes me AAAAAGES to learn any new move.

There's always loads of people who have been spinning for just a few months, and they're a billion times better than me.

Trick is, if you're finding something difficult, then relax, do something similar. Maybe just do some stuff you can do, and then come back to it. Eventually you'll crack it, and being able to pull it off is very very rewarding.

Not only that, but there's noone in my area who can do a one handed butterfly, nor mexican waves. :-P i can pull some moves others find impossible. But then again, each person's different!

Imagine something witty or profound was here.

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
welp, i know I'm knew to the forums and all, but I have some advice that has worked for everyone i've showed this. get to stick, 2 cardboard tube (the kind wrapping paper comes on) or to dowel rods or SOMETHING that is about as long as the poi would be. anyways, hold them very near the end and only with your index, middle and thumb. then do the motions (greatly exagerated movements help also). Now they won't make the full perfect arc that poi do, nor will they let you move your fingers to get the motion as much, but they do give 2 VERY beneficial things to you.

1) it makes you REALLY use your wrists which is a very good habit to get into ANYWAY.

2) unless you are a complete moron, you can't hit yourself in the sacs since you have full control of the sticks/rods/tubes. (the most important benefit if you ask me!)

now, i dunno if dark has gotten the 3 beat weave since then, but one problem my friends seem to have that causes them to hit themselves in the unmentionables, is the timing of when you switch sides with your arm. Everyone, it seems, starts to cross when they can see the poi. this is a BAD idea as you have very very little time to get the poi to the other side of your body.

so how to stop this? CLOSE YOUR EYES. learning to "feel" where the poi are will REALLY help you learn other moves like the windmill (funny story, this is the FIRST moved i learned, the windmill, saw my buddy do it with glowsticks, and i practiced and practiced for ages till i got just that one move, then the weave is freaking cake after that). anyways, the point at which I start moving my arm and dragging my poi across is when i feel the poi are nearing the top of the arc (NEARING, not AT) by the time the poi are vertical i have moved 1/4 the way accross, by the time the poi are pointing out and up at about 45 degrees I have my arm 3/4 the way across. thus, when they hit horizontal you are pretty much all the way to your side and can begin to exercise control over the next part of the swing.

hope that helps!

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

Saz84newbie
1 post

Posted:
Hey all

Ive been finding this thread really useful. ive been doing poi for about 2yrs and mastered moves like butterfly, alternate butterfly, corkscrew and windmill fairly easily.
but somehow not matter how hard i tried i havent been able to do the weave (it even caused me to give up for a while).
however now i think ive almost mastered what my hands should be doing........ just cant quite master it with the poi, but this is the closest ive ever come to be able to do it...................woooooooooooooo

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Imbalance: Another thing that helps is to take a staff and hold it cross-armed and then do a weave motion. I dunno, it works for a few people I have shown but is hard to describe.

Saz: You can get it. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

harasuSILVER Member
journeyman
51 posts

Posted:
I learnt 3bt weave by mistake while trying very hard to do a 2bt (:
The reverse one, though ... still trying. I've been working on it using only one poi (you know, the "under, over, out" thingy) and it took my hands forever to realise what they were supposed to be doing.
It did, however, get easier when I sat down, closed my eyes and pictured myself spinning very sloooowly. After that it just kind of clicked. Maybe your mind picturing yourself doing something makes it easier to actually do it with the body. I've gotta remember that (:

Commander Schutz: Strange, and I thought you were an Aryan.
Jewish Barber: No, I'm a vegetarian.

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
This thread certainly has been interesting.

From starting with swords doing a 2 beat weave, I eventually learned, using juggling clubs, the basic three beat weave.

Now, as far as I know a 5 beat is pretty much silly to try and learn with clubs but yea.

It did take me about 2 or 3 months, with poi, to learn the 5 beat forwards weave, and I'm working now on 5 beat reverse....
I've been hit in the head so many times, I think I'm starting to get a bit of brain damamge.

I've been hit in the head so many times, I think I'm starting to get a bit of brain damage.

I've been.... j/k...

I never really liked the 2 beat weave, it doesn't feel as fluid to me. What, also, is a 4 beat weave? I had 4 beat TTN explained to me not too long ago, but 4 beat weave... There are so many moves and so little time! Oh wait, I was fired from work, so there's PLENTY of time!

I do however like the way the.... hm.... How can I put this without knowing if it has a name.... Say you were spinning both poi forward, and instead of going to split time for a 3 beat you just moved your left hand to your right side and did a beat with both on the same side then took both at the same time and moved them to your left side for 2 beats then rinse and repeat....

Now... I guess that could be a 4 beat weave, so if it is, I'll be shocked that I accidentally learned something when taking a break from Nutterflies.... *sigh* Getting a cup or a book WOULD be a good idea.

*shrug* I'm done rambling now, carry on.
=)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I'm not 100% certain I know what you're saying, meshunderlay, but I THINK I do.

Hahah, I don't mind it myself, I'll play with it... but its not a 4bt

A 4 beat weave would be if you were doing a 3 beat motion on one side and a 5 beat motion on the other...

You can also do a 3 beat weave by doing a 5 beat motion on one side and a 2 beat on the other... I like that one, actually. grin
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1222674792)

hug

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Interesting Interesting.

That's how I learned 5 beat really, I was able to do the motion on one side which.... I guess because it's not followed by the second half I can see it being a 4 beat. =) Nifty.

I'll hafta play with that. So many things to think about, and thinking is one of the times when I hit myself. If I just do it and don't think about things, it usually works out better =).

Chaos489SILVER Member
Poi Spinner
1 post

Posted:
Im not gonna read all these replys because I dont really have the time right now. I watched the video and it just made it worse, so I did a search and found a useful diagram. It shows a slightly different way to move your arms, but it show it step by step. the only difference I can tell is that your arm movements in the diagram are more exaggerated(Easy to change) I leaned thanks to it in an hour.

https://www.geocities.com/firepoi/chase.html

I am what I am.

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Dont start with the weave is my help. Imagine if there is 10.000 things to learn about poi on a list that´s made for a beginner nI guess that the weave is somewhere around place 5.000-7.000.
In my opinion people should learn so much other stuff before a 3bt weave. I know that it feels sweet to nail it and learn it but then what?
I remember how I started, I remember how long time it took me and now when I understand everything a little bit more I would start on a totally different way :-/
Don´t do my misstake, learn planes, timings, directions, turns, footwork, how to make circles (not ovals), how to grip your poi on different ways, differences between poi, bodypositions, spinning points, meeting points, crossers and then after this do the weave. Probalby you already learned the weave if you did the stuff above, it comes very naturally and it will be so much better performed if you practive the things above grin

That was a lot of text, it was just meant to be some tips for beginners and now when I read it it just sounds silly, weird and almost rude.

If you take it in and helps you I´m happy grin

Dreaming of circles tongue2

//Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: NevisoulDont start with the weave is my help. Imagine if there is 10.000 things to learn about poi on a list that´s made for a beginner nI guess that the weave is somewhere around place 5.000-7.000.
In my opinion people should learn so much other stuff before a 3bt weave. I know that it feels sweet to nail it and learn it but then what?
I remember how I started, I remember how long time it took me and now when I understand everything a little bit more I would start on a totally different way :-/
Don´t do my misstake, learn planes, timings, directions, turns, footwork, how to make circles (not ovals), how to grip your poi on different ways, differences between poi, bodypositions, spinning points, meeting points, crossers and then after this do the weave. Probalby you already learned the weave if you did the stuff above, it comes very naturally and it will be so much better performed if you practive the things above grin

That was a lot of text, it was just meant to be some tips for beginners and now when I read it it just sounds silly, weird and almost rude.

If you take it in and helps you I´m happy grin

Dreaming of circles tongue2

//Thomas
with the exception of what Thomas said about crossers, I wholeheartedly agree. However, it might be he was referring to crossovers, which is more fundamental than crossers( a move defined by first being able to weave or butterfly), then ..well....what he said. wink

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
That said, teaching someone the three beat weave can help in that they feel that they are learning something.

But Thomas' way is better.

I sometimes wish I had learned like that. I need to find the time to break my moves down and relearn them.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I never learnt turns... I couldnt do a low turn or a high turn. First turn I ever did was with the 3 beat... it just sort of happened.

With some movements breaking plane can really help to learn, the awkward hand positions that people come across for the 3 beat for example wouldnt be possible if they were trying for clean planes and who knows if they would've gotten it as quickly if they were worrying too much about the planes?

That said I do teach timing, planes, directions and sometimes grips before moving onto weaves and such things... but it depends on the student... a lot just want to "learn something" in order to feel accomplished, as aston said.

hug

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I wish I had a teacher that wasn't text, pictures, or videos on the internets.

I only know 1 spinner in the area, and he's usually too busy with his own thing to hang out, so he says...

Ah well, I keep plucking away randomly at things. =)

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Thats all I've ever had...

Actually, a good source of learning has been the people I've taught. They'll give me little ideas and I'll link them together into something more complex than they intended, but even a lot of it just has merit, small things I was too busy working on more complex things to have seen.

Edit:

meshunderlay, everything you learn, learn in reverse as well...

Remember to learn to control your speed, that helps with learning as well as dancing...

Learn Split time, same time, same direction, butterfly, antispin and "spin?" as well as combinations of all of those..

Basically all movements can be learned as fitting into one of these...

Nothing is too hard for you to learn, ever... in fact, try to learn things that most other "beginners" do not... Everything is interconnected, you can focus on a certain trick for months and then there will be a whole bunch of related things that you'll be better at as a result...

As I said earlier, I could never do reel turns or anything like that... but once learning to turn in all number of other ways within tricks I just found I could do it.

There are no tricks, just ways of moving your body around the poi...

Sorry if this is of no use to you, meshunderlay, but I just thought since you had no teacher I'd throw in a few tips I feel are very important...

EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1222848159)

hug

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: squidOriginally Posted By: thomasDont start with the weave is my help. Imagine if there is 10.000 things to learn about poi on a list that´s made for a beginner nI guess that the weave is somewhere around place 5.000-7.000.

...I wholeheartedly agree...
...well....what he said. wink

another ditto from me... although I can't apply it to poi, cos a 3bt, 5bt and ttn are about all I can do; but it applies equally to my preferred weapon of double staff, too.

I learnt like most people do, by copying figure 8s and propellers etc, but the figure 8 builds upon 1bts, which I didn't get to until fairly recently, when I picked up doubles for the first time.

learn the basics... it's not until you start to think more in terms of planes, angles, circles than tricks, that things like body movement will follow seamlessly.

is difficult to convince oneself to approach any task like this, however, because it's boring; I remember yuta saying in a poi workshop at uberoz last year, that he'd spend hours drilling circles, learning how to maintain planes, how big circles and little circles interact; what happens to them when you turn your hips, your shoulders etc. most people, myself included get trapped into learning the next "trick" cos it's cool and just plain more fun.

dunno what the answer is, though...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Which most people fall into.

Actually, that could be an interesting poll: do most of the spinners widely acknowledged as really good learn how thomas suggested or just by going from one thing to another?

Anyone know?

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
oof. I think you'd have to privately email many of those publically acclaimed spinners. I really dont see them posting online in big numbers. It would be a good poll and probably a big eye-opener for all those spinners out there looking to follow in those famous footsteps.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Everyone learns differently... you've got to cater to strengths and weaknesses.

Regardless, I daresay that for any successful whirler, you've got to be able to break things down into its more basic components... some people do this automatically and don't entirely understand how they got the answers, some need to actually break it down.

Apart from that its all up to the individuals focus in poi... if you don't want to get into tech stuff and are happy just knowing a bit of poi... learning the 3 beat and all that kind of jazz is probably very nice... (this is for all those people who don't have the time to really learn)

Yeah, theres the other major component... time... if you want outcomes practice daily.

hug

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Well did you learn it or what? I am not going to read all of the posts here, but I learned the weave from Mr. Everest. Lesson 2-5 I believe on his youtube channel. Learn cross overs first, then the weave will just happen after your brain melts a little.

Human

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Me? Learn what? Turns? They came naturally later. I learned turns within the 3 beat rather than 'reel turns' which I think are labelled high and low turns.

hug

SuchGOLD Member
Rancor
253 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonMe? Learn what? Turns? They came naturally later. I learned turns within the 3 beat rather than 'reel turns' which I think are labelled high and low turns.

smile I was asking dark dnb, he/she has not replied yet, I was hoping they got it!

Human

XhelenatSILVER Member
xHelenax
8 posts

Posted:
Check out some of Nick Woolsey videos on YouTube or on playpoi.com he has a really good video for it. I'm currently working on the same and his vids are extremely helpful.

I am somewhat new to Poi but I love it!

Page: