Page:
dark dnbmember
1 post

Posted:
ive been trying to learn a basic weave for over 2 weeks now, and im so frustrated im ready to quit. Ive repeatedly hit myself in the face and in the crotch, and its just not fun anymore. I can do the first two beats on one side but when i try to switch over, *SMACK*... *gasp* does anyone know of any other places where i can get a more detailed explanation of this? ill invest in a cup if theres any hope of me figuring this out someone help?

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
ah, theirs nothing like a bit of weave related testicular pain is there?

if you are having problems with weave and its family of moves, concentrate on the butterfly family. Theres loads of moves that use same time not split time and you may find are easier to get started with. The more practice you get the more likely you'll be to succeed with the weave when you try it.

Having said that the weave isn't that difficult, if you're completely stuck then i suggest downloading some videos or searching through the archieves of this board, as I'm sure the question has been asked many times in the past. That is assuming you don't know any other people who can do it, if you do then go harrass them

Either way, its not worth giving up just because you are having probs with a move. Part of the fun of this, and most things in life, is getting there. If something is particularly hard you'll get way more satisfaction than someone who gets it in 30 minutes. OK, being able to do stuff and watch smugly when others are writhing around on the ground holding their nuts is pretty neat, but it's not what its all about.

Good luck!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I dont know...

Honestly if it takes over 2 weeks to learn to do a normal 3 beat weave, I think your coordination is shot and theres not much hope for ya

I mean, took me a day to get good with that, another day to do it backwards, and even BTB is proving easier than I thought. Maybe Im just a fast learner but thats my opionion.

BTW - I find the butterfly line a bit more testicle intensive. I couldnt tell ya how many times Ive been practicing in my boxers when my poi decide to collide on the down-stroke.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Lixtrimmember
32 posts

Posted:
Well just think of the joy when you do get the wave
Try walking forwards or backwards when doin the wave......It helped me I don't know why but it helps.

Best of luck to you and don't give up!!

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Royal:

Honestly if it takes over 2 weeks to learn to do a normal 3 beat weave, I think your coordination is shot and theres not much hope for ya

Bit harsh me thinks.. everyone learns at different speeds, it took me ages to get the basic weave down - specially since I had no-one to look at for inspiration or help..

You keep going hunny.. the walking forwards and back is a good idea.. also try the movements without poi in your hand ( they tend to complicate matters some ) if you can practise the figure 8 with just your hands then that may help you.

Some people can just pick up poi and do it brilliently, some people think that they can pick up poi and do it brilliently and just look crap... and others just need to work on things a bit more - all our brains are different, you just need to train your coordination..

what ever you do - never walk away from your poi in frustration, that makes it less inviting to go back..

[ 31. March 2003, 06:02: Message edited by: MisStix ]

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Don't be nasty Royal.
So you got it straight off? Big whoop.
Some people just learn in different ways to others. Nothing wrong with that. If we were all the same then the world would be a heck of a lot duller than it is now...

dark dnb - It took me weeks to get the weave right too. Don't worry about it.

You could always try doing some other stuff and come back to it.

I found this site - https://www.calefaction.org/teach/weave.html
to be quite helpful.

Meh

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I recomend learning it without poi in your hands. just do the hand motions,m or even better, use your arms as poi. make circles with your hands (about two foot diameter circles) and let your hands floow the circles. I teach the weave that way and people can generaly pick up poi afterwards and get the 3 beat realy quickly, like a few minutes. The reason is: after your body learns the movements (without poi) when you pick up poi you have one less thing to worry about and oyu can focus on the poi (not on moving your hands in the right pattern.

I can tell you the you are probably getting the timing off a little. you are probably either shfiting your hands too soon or not soon enough, that is when you hit yourselfs usually.

I found a web site that show realy good hand movements, it is great for newbies. Watch the videos and learn the hand movements WITHOUT poi first (then maybe move on to wine bottles or clubs or sticks) then move on to poi. Trust me this realy works. And mad props to the person who made those videos.

https://www.jugglingwithatwist.fsnet.co.uk/page47.html

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Hey, wasnt trying to be mean. Just stating my opinion. 2 weeks is a hella long time to learn the weave. And some people do have very poor coordination which would make poi nearly impossible.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
It took me about 3 months to learn the basic 3-beat weave. I just learn't the btb 5-beat about 8 months ago.

Have you ever seen an isolated 5-beat weave?

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
One thing that is sugested alot is to use sticks to practice getting the feel for the move. You just need a couple about 2 feet long.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

Mickey Dmember
3 posts

Posted:
yep i cant get it right either,

though i know the reason why, when im spinning my left hand poi spins at an angle why my right hand poi is vertical. just check if they really are both vertical. it makes thread through the needle virtually impossible for me.

also try it with 2 bits of rope with nothing on the end, trust me it eases the pain

knowledge is power
power corrupts
be evil
study hard

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
It took me three weeks to learn a basic 2-beat weave let alone 3-beat.Though I picked up the butterfly and a couple variations in that same time frame.It really didn't help that I had to teach myself almost everything when I first started.

If you are hurting yourself make some softer poi like a pair of sock poi.

I was telling a guy I met at the sparkshop in NY that weave moves are great but I prefer to start people on the butterfly and it's variations -

a. because there are way more butterfly moves than weave variations.

b. because of the fact that you are spinning the poi in opposite directions and in the long run that will help in leaps and bounds in gaining a greater sense of control of the poi both as a unit and spinning individually of each other.

Don't give up.It may not come to you right away but you will get it eventually.

Wise man once say "Patience is a virtue".

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
put your left arm straight out, and use one poi in your right.

practice the 'over', 'under' and 'out' bit on your left arm - easy isn't it?

or try it with clubs

you'll get it, hang in there

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yup, it took me a good few weeks to learn the 3bt weave, and much longer to learn it backwards... Now I'd like to think I'm not that bad at poi and it was definitely worth persevering

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
the poi basics did not come easy to me either, it was pure hell at first.

I was doing low turns and 2 beat weaves for about 3 months till i realised there could be 3 beats to a weave and that i had double what i had already learned to still learn!

then i found HOP

Well worth the effort in the ned and it only gets easier (mostly)

so hows it going?

BlackFireJackmember
167 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Royal:
I dont know...

Like the honesty but I would say it like that..............
The coordination may be shot but it's not dead......It's more a problem coordinating the head than the arms.....cause you think with both sides of the brain at the same time ....and then the brain sends out all kinds of funny signals that makes the pois hit you in that one sacred place where you dont want anything to hit anything .......

Peace

I like Fire.. :)

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
Dark try useing long socks with a tennis ball in the toe so if you hit yourself you dont kill your children and the tennis balls bounce clean of your head, quite fun if thats all you want to do.

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

cedemember
42 posts

Posted:
if you are willing to invest in a cup to get this move down, then i suggest investing in the art of poi video that malcom sells here...it's great for beginers...i love the way they teach the basic 3 beat weave...when i first started i already knew how to do it because of a martial art background, but teaching people i could never do, when i watched that video though teaching people using thier method is super easy...practice doing the movement with one hand sticking staight out, and the other hand actualy doing the movements...then switch hands when you got it down...works like a charm showing people how to spin at a party

posi vegan straight edge

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
bad advise...

Try instead using a sock roled up into a ball and stuffed into the toe of another longer sock.

Trust me, tennis balls are NOT "nut sack friendly"

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Took me ages to get the 3 beat weave, I just didn't get it, so I didn't really try - just worked on butterfly variations.... then one day it just worked. Not sure why.... it just did. When I did get it I couldnt understand why I thought it was so hard.

Hope the samre happens for reverse weave.... that still frustrates me.

So much fire, so little body hair...

ufo8mycatBRONZE Member
journeyman
60 posts

Posted:
Really good way yp teach weave, both 3 and 4 beat...

is to break them down into their components.

First spin forwards... but properly!! Make sure the poi are parallel to your body; you can check this by standing in front of a window or by aligning yourself with your shadow and feet...

Next be comfortable in crosswinging (as in cross skipping), bringing both across your body. Concentrate first on having your right hand on top then your left.

To learn the 3 beat weave is easy:: begin by bringing both poi to the same side (normally the right) and weaving them as one, in time, always keeping the right hand on top.

Next split-time... and hey you have a 3 bt weave!!

After you've mastered 3 bt weave with either hand on top, concentrate on switching from having rightt to left hand on top... it soon becomes clear that you're doing a 4 bt weave... not only that but youve also mastered 8 tricks in the process!

Good luck, and remember the frustration is always worth the pleasure youll give yourself and others once it clicks (and it will...)

al

it's not that i mean to set things on fire...

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
Zoltar.

for the reverse weave, get both poi on one side of you body and then turn 180 degrees with your poi, but keep the poi going the same way. then you are doing the reverse weave, i was really frustrated with the reverse weave but then i just did this by mistake and i did the reverse, its really screwed up how somethings (mostly cool things ) happen by acciedent. try this and let me know if it works for you.

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I don't know if this helps you any, but actually the way I learned the weave was discovering that the hand motions are remarkably similar to liquid or energy ball dancing... I had just learned how to liquid dance a few months prior to starting poi (read this summer), so it kinda clicked for me that way. I imagined a ball between my wrists and just rolled it between them in my head and suddenly found myself doing the weave.

And I discovered the reverse weave by trying to follow the poi with my body, turning 360 degrees. I found my arms naturally following into a reverse, and then back to forward as I turned, so I started trying only turning 180 degrees and reversing my hands (Palm up instead of down) and started doing a mutant reverse weave which I am now cleaning up.

One tip for keeping them in time is to make sure BOTH hands keep moving and responding to each other (Using my ball idea here), so that if that ball were there as one hand goes over or under the other, the other hand moves up (Forward weave) or down (reverse weave).

If you think your going to hit yourself in the nuts, drop your arms down quick and pull them toward your groin while they are on the downswing. This way they lose a lot of momentum from your downward moving arm, and if you do it right they go between your legs and stall instead of swinging up and hitting you. I feel your pain.

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
so this must of been some help to you darkdnb. wish i had all thi shelp at the start.

one thing tha did occur to me just recently is, do you practice too fast? maybe try spinning as slow as you can go without losing momentum. I love moving to drum and bass but i have a real problem doing it slow if i do.

Another way that is sometimes helpfull is if someone can stand behind you and 'force feed' you the move from a loose wristed split time swing. It may not be the most natural but once your hands have done the motion, it is hard to forget, even if you dont totally understand it.

Of course this only works if you have a friend wh9o can alreday do the weave

Good luck and please tell us how your doing

(and can i have some really dark low down dirty honking filling rattling drum and bass please)

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Invest in a cup man, youll always hit yourself in the ... . It took me 3 min to learn that move but 3 months to get 5 bt btb rev weave. Its different for everyone, some peeps get btb easy, just have fun. Thats the secret. Oh and beer helps.

Its all just smoke and mirrors

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
when learning the 3 beat weave i didnt suffer from too much trauma in the nether regions....however the 5 bt weave was a different matter.
instead of any proper groin protection, i found that a book thrust down your pants, held there by your belt and a bit of tape, is the best and cheapest solution.
just dont tell the owner of the book!!

if your taking a while to learn a move, try and hook up with other spinners in your area. i had help from friends to learn the weave and butterfly, but once i understood how they worked i was able to figure out most other move by myself with the HOP lessons.

and if youve had the patience to last two weeks of failure, youve got the right mindset to be a juggler!!!

cheers

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dead Parrot:

and if youve had the patience to last two weeks of failure, youve got the right mindset to be a juggler!!!

I second that!!!!!!!

It took me months to get the 3 beat weave, as i just cannot get my head around poi moves, they just don't make sence to me!!
But i got it in the end, Never Say Never. It'll come and when you get it you'll be like "How the hell could i not get that It's sooo f*ckin easy"
Keep us posted.
LOL
Taking it easy
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.
High Class Hippy No:1
N.E.W.B. Agent #012
"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Don't worry about it dark dnb. I been twirling poi off and on for about 5 yrs, and it took me forevery to get the forward 3 beat weave, I won't go into how long it took me to reverse it. Now onto bigger and better weaves, the 4 beat. Now that is a beater.

A suggestion for something softer?? Try a poi made of paper. If it hits you it doesnt hurt, if you hit someone else it doesnt hurt and if it learns to fly it won't break any lamps.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
How rude for a thread starter not to come back to his/her own thread for nearly a fortnight

Seriously though..

....gimme some low dirty drum and bass!

shimstermember
5 posts

Posted:
Well I don't know abt the original thread-starter but reading this has cheered me up a little. Not that I get it yet either. I think I get the "practice with one poi only" thing, and I think I got the stickweave move down from the other website. But whenever I try to do an actual weave, the self-bruising begins!

I'll keep trying though. Poi-dancing just so gorgeous that I really want to get to a place where I can graduate from tennis balls on chains!

Any other tips or words of encouragement welcome

Analyse CapitalismChoose RevolutionDemand Chocolate

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
there is a positive side to the bruising...i went paintballing a couple of months ago and didnt get a single bruise...for that matter not a single shot that hit me hurt!! i put it down to bruise immunity enchanced by learning poi!

remember...
"al-ways look on the briiiight si-ide of life..de dum..de dum de dum..." (the tune is in my head but probably noone elses)

cheers.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Page: