Sacha.SILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
i can do a 5 beat weave in front of the body both forwards and backwards, and i can do a normal weave behind the back, but can anyone do a 5 beat weave behind the back? Is it even possible?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i can't, but i know a man who can.

in fact i know about 4 blokes and 2 girls that can do this.

for some reason, no-one has claimed they can do a no-wrap 7-beat btb yet though...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Sacha.SILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
damn, that means it is physically possible!

i can only do a forwards btb weave (that is starting with the poi swinging backwards in front) - a reverse btb weave seems ridiculously hard - my wrists just don't seem to work that way... presumably if you can do a btb weave forwards and backwards, then you can turn around and always keep them behind your back - that'd be good - can you do that?

also - what the hell is a 7 beat weave?

oh and what is a wrap?

cheers mate

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
okay what you can do is actually a backwards btb weave.

this is the easier of the btb moves - it just seems to click a little quicker then the others.
you are right that once you get the forwards as well, you can turn round while doing weaves behind your back (and if you practice lots do them standing side-on to your poi - like one circle hands behind you but poi in front on the right to directly behind you to poi in front on the left with your hands behind still - its not easy though!).

a wrap (in this sense of it) is where the poi would wrap around your wrists so you can add extra beats to your weaves. think of doing the five beat weave but not doing the bit where you twist your wrists round - this would mean that the poi would wrap round your hands before you brought them to the other side and they unwrapped.
its kind of a bit of a cheat move as you have far less control and the more beats you add in this fashion, the shorter your strings get.

so the no-wrap seven beat weave is exactly that, doing a weave with seven beats but not letting the poi wrap around you wrists to do it.
a wrapped seven-beat uses the same hands movements as the five but sticks around on each side long enough for two beats of wrapping round your wrists.
the seven-beat no wrap uses an ugly combination of twisting your elbows around each other, then your wrists to get the extra four beats on top of the three-beat pattern.

good luck learning all the btb stuff (i'll tell ya if i ever manage to learn the five btb!)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Sacha.SILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
wicked, thanks for that mate, very helpful

how about btb butterflies - i can't really do it, i can almost do it in the direction where the poi head towards your feet and away from your shoulders (is that forwards or backwards?) but doing it the other way seems impossible again, can you do a btb butterfly forwards and reverse?

RaverShokmember
17 posts

Posted:
Ok for the btb butterfly it is not impossible to do it forwards. The way that most people get first is the reverse way. The easiest way that I get it going forwards is simply start of with a reverse btb butterfly and then just stick out my leg and let both poi wrap (BTB) and boom you got the forwards btb butterfly, hope that helps, its not too hard. But for the BTB 5 beat weave, that shit seems impossible but I always say that until I see someone do it and then I end up getting it in a couple of days. So far I have the reverse, and forward btb weave with 360 turns in both directions. Keep spinnin..

shok,
stringy people
san antonio

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
It's possible. I can do the btb 5-beat going forward (shin-basher) pretty well. I can't reliably do the reverse (titty-twister), although I've got the general wrist motion down.

Once you're comfortable with a 5-beat in front and a 3-beat behind, the step up to doing a 5-beat behind isn't a big conceptual leap, although the details can still be a bear. I tend to hit myself on the right side when attempting the reverse 5-beat btb, because I don't have quite enough reach with my left arm.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
5 beat BTB weave forwards

I can do it

it is EXACTLY the same hand movements as the 5 beat forwards in front of you. Just arch and bend your back more to give your arms the most room you can.

It wasn't a huge step for me - it just fell into place. But I can't do the btb 5 beat reverse weave fluantly yet though

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

3,638 posts

Posted:
Aaaarrrgh no!
Wait a minute:

quote:
i can only do a forwards btb weave (that is starting with the poi swinging backwards in front) - a reverse btb weave seems ridiculously hard
That's the opposite of what I say.

When poi swing REVERSE at sides, go into btb weave and it's a REVERSE BTB WEAVE.

When poi swing FORWARDS at sides, go into btb weave and it's a FORWARDS BTB WEAVE.

3-beat BTB weave is easiest in REVERSE.
5-beat BTB weave is easiest FORWARDS

does that make any sense? I think i may have been calling thing the wrong names

Sacha.SILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
thanks for that fluffy napalm fairy, i always get mixed up with whether the btb moves are reverse or forward...

yeah, the 3 beat btb forward weave is so difficult compared to the reverse one - i haven't even tried doing 5 beat btb weaves

one day though i'll be going 360 degrees with 7 beat no wrap weaves in front and btb

3,638 posts

Posted:
lol - me too.

RaverShokmember
17 posts

Posted:
quote:
That's the opposite of what I say.

When poi swing REVERSE at sides, go into btb weave and it's a REVERSE BTB WEAVE.

When poi swing FORWARDS at sides, go into btb weave and it's a FORWARDS BTB WEAVE.

I strongly disagree with you on this one because if you think about it, when you do a reverse weave in front of you and the go into the behind the back weave it is a forward weave behind your back but a reverse weave when you bring it back in front of you and vice versa. Eveyone always gets it mixed up because they dont take the time to think about it.

shok

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I know what you mean, RS, and on an abstract level, I agree, but most people understand the idea of a forward-swinging btb weave as a forward btb weave. Insisting on the opposite just gets confusing.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i'd have to agree with the fairy on this one.
and yes, i do normally agree with fairies, but i have a reason in this case...

if your poi are spinning backwards and you go into a 3-beat weave btb, you hands will make the same motions as they do when you are doing a reverse weave in front of your body.
ie. your right arm will lead onto the left hand side underneath you left arm and vice versa.
so i call this a reverse weave btb.

when doing a forwards weave your leading arm travels across your body *over the top* of the other arm.
these wrist motions are also the same in front and btb. so its a forwards weave in either place.

i'm not saying this is the definite way of classiying weaves but it made sense to me this way.
otherwise the same wrist movements would have different names even though your body is oriented the same way to the plane of the poi (which is what usually necessitates a name change eg. corkscrew and windmill).

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I did four repetitions of btb forward 5 beat last night. And I watched Jedi White do a Turning (360) tbt 5 beat last night.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Sacha.SILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
oops, sorry, i didn't mean to spark off an argument about forward / reverse btb weave names! I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you know which one the person's talking about.

By the way what does 'tbt' mean? :

quote:
Originally posted by santanatwo:
I did four repetitions of btb forward 5 beat last night. And I watched Jedi White do a Turning (360) tbt 5 beat last night.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Sacha Wilson:
By the way what does 'tbt' mean?
i think it means santanatwo may be typing while stoned again (not that i'm not )

maybe he meant 'btb'?

and don't worry - that wasn't an argument!
it helps to clear up what we call stuff.
that way we don't have to describe everything from scratch and so we don't all get confused when describing more complex stuff.

you can't argue with that

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
and drunk too I ment btb

But seriousely, coleman's so stoned he hit the submit button twice

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Anybody have experience with bringing a simple forward 3 beat weave behind your head? I've tried it yet nothing has clicked, I think it has something to do with my poor flexibility as I try to keep my hands in the right spot to do a weave behind my head. I get all shacky.

And yeah, the 5 beat btb weave is easier going forward forward as described by coleman and fluffy napalm fairy. I mean I can't actually get it down, but I do notice it is easier to add the extra beats in.

[ 20. November 2002, 09:50: Message edited by: Jello ]

Liquid Popmember
62 posts

Posted:
hey i can do the btb weave while swinging the poi in reverse beside me, i cant for the love of me get it the other way, always hiting my shins, i can do the btb butterfly too, i think thats cool.

I really want to learn the btb TTN, if posible, i think it would be, i cant get the hand movements though.

ttyl
PLUR

the pop

if practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
jello,

I can do a behind the head forward 3 beat weave. The way I learned it was to slowly move my hands up over my head as I continued to do a weave. eventually I was turning my body back and forth to keep from hitting the poi , and I thought I was doing a turning behind the head windmill. but it is really just a behind the head weave. you need to twist your body back and forth to keep from hitting yourself (like brody AKA dio AKA vern said, I think of it more like poi dodging rather than poi swinging)

Liquid Pop, I learned the behind the head tnt by doing the same thing. just do a forwards tnt, then slowly bring it up and behind your head. the btb tnt I haven't done yet though, but I think bth tnt would help you learn btb tnt...maybe

3,638 posts

Posted:
eep! sorry about that - I wasn't saying it was a correct definition it's just the way most people understand. And for the purposes of this thread it's important

(on a side not, surely if you're spinning in reverse at sides, then go into btb weave, it's only forwards if you've turned your body 180 degrees - which you haven't so it's still reverse. I think. PM me if you would like to enlighten me in the ways of physics cos the understanding is something I self addmittedly have trouble with)

I can't do BTH weaves cos I haven't taught my arms to bend in the necessary ways. But give me a few weeks

Santanatwo - I wish I had a Jedi White to watch I have to imagine everything and have nobody to teach me......*sob* )

Sacha.SILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Liquid Pop:
I really want to learn the btb TTN,
sorry to be a stupid idiot again, but what does 'TTN' mean, and is that the same as 'TNT' which someone said below?

cheers

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ttn is 'thread the needle'.

tnt would be santanatwo's typo's again i think.
unless he knows something i don't...

personally i'd rather keep any tnt that's around very, very far away from the back of my head.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Sacha.SILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
ah ok, cheers for that

the btb and bth ttn's are bloody difficult - i almost knocked myself out last night trying a btb butterfly - smashed myself in the back of the head, damn painful

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Well! maybe I need to cut back on the it is apparently affecting my typing ability.... but just as a warning to little children who may be tempted by peer pressure....i'll leave the typo. AND for future refference...kids....don't do drugs...

you hear all these old pot heads saying "weed doesn't affect your ability to think clearly." but, all that realy means is that they ain't smoking the good shit.

_AnA_newbie
17 posts

Posted:
It's very possible to do a forward 5 beat weave btb. I've only been spinning for less than a month and I got it yesterday in a few hours (yes I'm a maniac but I really wanted it, so...). When you catch the movements it seems very easy, and it looks quite pretty when you bend your body from side to side not to hit against yourself.

We'll burn, like a moth to the flame
Burn, as the fire calls us by name...