Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
The 5 beat btb weave. I figured it out!! :-) I mean, I used to be able to do it occasionally in a very crappy manner, but now that I figured out the proper technique it's really smooth! It just kinda clicked all at once. I'm *extremely* inflexible, but it appears that this trick does not require that much flexibility if you do it right. I'm doing the shin bashing version. I think the face bashing one would be a lot harder.On another note, I learned to do a btb lower fountain last week at the juggling festival that I went to. I didn't realize you could do that until someone showed it to me. I think I remember seeing someone do it before, but I didn't know what it was at the time.

MilkManmember
6 posts

Posted:
forgive me for the question smile but what is BTB lower fountain ?

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
MilkMan -- Yeah, Malcolm doesn't have any info on the fountain on this site :-( But there is a nice vid out there of John Murphy demonstrating a lower fountain in front. You can find it here: https://members.nbci.com/dicestacker/poi_swinging.htmThe
lower fountain is basically a 3 point weave. There is such a thing as a full fountain, where you basically alternate between the lower fountain and a windmill, but I don't think it's possible to do that one behind your back.Hope that helps smile

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Great to hear you got the btb 5-beat. Mine's there but it's not as good looking or consistant as i'd like it to be. I'll give it some more practice and it should be all good.Sorry, could you explain the btb lower fountain in more detail, i don't quite understand your explaination. thx.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
whoops, nevermind. Didn't see the link lol.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

MilkManmember
6 posts

Posted:
hey bassman, thank a lot for the reply. i went to see the link and found out it is exactly what i am now working on. i just call it BTB 360 deg. turn though...next one will be the 5 beat BTB but to tell you the truth i can't imagine my wrists twisting like that behind my back confused[This message has been edited by MilkMan (edited 09 August 2001).]

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
MilkMan -- 360 degree turn? No, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about doing the lower fountain without turning at all. So your feet never move. Also, if you can do the 5 beat weave in front, then you are plenty flexible to do it btb. There is no extra flexability required. You just have to get the movements right.

PyroSpheremember
6 posts

Posted:
I noticed that it is much easier to get into the 5 and 7 beat stuff with a forward rotation as well......I cannot really do the 5 beat btb yet but sometimes (those special moments) I can get a 7beat btb forward wrap out of it ,,but only for a two times on each side......I guess it is just the point at wich you choose to cross over........good luck to all........

AHHH TRY NOT, DO OR DO NOT BE STRONG YOU MUST---;)YODA(;

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
After 2 weeks of trying over and over i did the BTB weave at last the last move!! well the hardest move to me ;p jeez im happe!!!!=)now i gota do a 5 BTB weave i just can do 4 beats... =(

Dance like if noone were watching you

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Damn, it just ain't pretty, but it's getting there. It's working my arms way more then a regular BTBW does. Ok, anybody who does the 5 beat BTBW answer me this, does it make anyone elses arm pits hurt? Seriously, my pits are rubbin' really hard. Maybe a little lotion before attemps would help a little. I was just curious if I was the only person with this problem.EricIt's coming along nicly though, thanks for pushing me. (bassman and phunky)

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
maybe its your hairy armpits!heh, j/k smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
funny you mention it Phunky, I was thinking the same thing. I didn't leave the house at all today, I stayed inside spinning poi and thinking of my girlfriend, so there was no need for deodorant. I didn't smell but maybe thats what I needed so It wouldn't rub so much. You know how your arms flex all tight when your crossing the poi over so the other one can get the extra beat. My arms ache like a mother right now. I was doing it with my zuni poi, the weight makes it way easier. After I train my arms for the motion, I'll move on to my glowsticks. So much pain!!! I do BTB weaves all day and never have an ache cause my arms are used to it. It's crazy how that extra beat works your arms in muscles you never knew you had.I'm going to bed, I'll try to pick it up again tomorrow. Putting them down will give my body time to rest and my mind a chance to get it down perfect.EricI don't have hairy pits, YOU DO!!! :sticks his tounge out at Phunky:

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
Myst -- armpits rubbing? Hmm.. I've never experienced that problem, but if you were going to have that problem it would make sense that it would be on the 5 beat btb weave. Since your arms are more constricted you have a lot more pressure in that area.I've been getting this 5 beat btb weave down pretty well now. I kind of fixed my "losing momentum" problem, so my pattern tends to be pretty clean on both sides. The problem was I wasn't swinging my poi out far enough before I swing it across to the other side. If you don't set up the angle for the swing across to the other side of your body, the poi is going to have to do a really sharp direction change and it loses momentum. I guess it's kind of like how race cars get into the far lane before they make a sharp turn so that the turn is not so sharp. So, I can get about 10 times through the pattern before I mess up. Anyway, now I've started working on the face bashing 5 beat btb weave. I only get this one part of the time because my brain doesn't want to work that way, but when I do get it, I have lot more clearance than with the shin bashing one. I wonder if this will actually turn out to be easier once I get it. Have you guys worked on this?

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
myst, if you shave your pits and rub lotion in them, i will never let you hear the end of it...ha ahhaha"S"------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Sup, I don't know why, but that little comment had me laughing for hours. I guess I got a mental picture or something. Anyway, I too have started to try the face bash 5beatBTBW. I keep getting the crossover poi to the butt. Only from left to right, I haven't tried the right to left. I still have to pretty up my shin bash 5beatBTBW. Off to make my armes hurt again.Eric

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Fuck, this sucks balls. My left wrist is killing me. My zuni's are heavy enough to stay true to their path but also heavy enough to tear the shit out of my wrist when I have to just use my wrist to cross then. I'm going to have to take a break from the 5 beatBTBW due to this unfortunat poi injury. That's really funny though, I have a poi injury, and it's not even from fire. It hurts like a mother f'er to bend my wrist so fair warning to those of you trying this, do it with something fairly light. Eric

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
lol, poi injury.Try to explain that to you're co-workers.What i practice with are glowsticks but with foam around them so the bounce quite nicely off. Or what you can try to do is make poi out of stuffed animals. My friend made some poi out of ducks so when he spins his practice poi, its flying ducks! (would have been funnier if they were pigs)------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Hell yeah!!! I got it pretty good now and I'm just aching to run and show Pozee. It's still not as good and clean as a regular btb weave but now that I have the hand motions down it should only be a little bit. I have half(left to right) the face bash BTB 5 beat weave. I guess that would be a BTBface bash 4 beat weave. I don't have it consistant at all, but I'm hoping to get it soon. This is all with my zuni poi, it's going to take a lot more practice to pass it on to glowsticks.EricWrist pain is gone, ready for more moves.

yashiromember
77 posts

Posted:
anyone can do 5 btb weave with long strings??

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I love long chains cuz it slows down your pattern (angular momentum is mvr where m=mass of poi, v=linear velocity of poi, and r=length of chain). It makes things a lot easier IMO. My chains are about arm length. I don't dare make them longer bc it would limit my clearance for certain tricks. For me, short chains just make the 5 beat btb too fast and you don't have time to unwrap your arms and swing the poi over to your other side.

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I can do a btb 5 beat weave with my strings to the center of my chest. I also do it with them to my pits, haven't tried it with them to my elbows yet, I'll leave that to pozee.Eric