adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
A few of the local airports around here sell aviation fuel and it's really cheap! Way cheaper than the stuff I can buy at Wal-mart, at least. I've *heard* that aviation fuel is really good for fire spinning and relatively non-toxic (or at least less toxic then a lot of other fuels). However, I'm not exactly sure and would like some input. They sell two different brands of jet fuel: Jet-A and 100LL Avgas. Has anyone had any experience with these fuels? I'm going to try to find an MSDS online, but I'd like some input from someone with some experience with these fuels.

Question everything.

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I looked up the MSDS for Jet A and it doesn't seem to be that bad, health wise. According to the MSDS, the possible health effects are only slight. It is over 99% kerosene with less than 1% polycyclic hydrocarbons. It is colourless and has "fuel oil odor," which is kind of vague. There will be soot, obviously, as it is kerosene and the vapors are heavier than air. It also says that if it is repackaged or sold in non-bulk quantities, that this product is unregulated. I would think that buying it at an airport would be relatively safe (hopefully). Any thoughts on this? It's relatively cheap, so this would be a nice source of fuel.

Question everything.

CyricxGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
It sounds like with it being 99% kerosene that it should be pretty similar. Provided that 1% of polycyclic hydrocarbons doesn't drastically change the flash point, or the temp at which it burns.

Where's a chemist when you need one? wink

US Performer liability insurance run by performers. Why pay more then you have to?

WeAreSafe.org

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Heh, yeah. Definitely need a chemist here.

I'd imagine it would probably burn similarly to the store bought stuff, yes. smile However, apparently, most kerosene you get in stores is pretty toxic because it isn't pure kerosene. It has a lot of additives. Aviation fuel is supposed to be the purest form you can get. However, that's just what I've heard so I'm not too sure. I'd really like to talk to someone who knows what they're talking about as this is the cheapest fuel I've found at $4 per gallon.

Question everything.

Gary_CifersSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
Not sure if you've started burning with the stuff yet but i'd be careful of those PAH's check the wiki on them as well as toxin databases and the like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycyclic_aromatic_hydrocarbon

Apparently the don't get along too well with humans inhaling the fumes... (But... then again what fuel does...) Could be why they show it has only 1% as well cause 38 mL in a gallon isn't really that much
EDITED_BY: Gary_Cifers (1330517632)

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Well done for checking the MSDS sheets. Don't forget to compare the MSDS sheet for the other fuels you use as well.

Here in NZ, we have a solvent called 3440 Special, that is also used as aviation fuel, different name to buy, exactly the same MSDS sheet.

This particular fuel that may be simialr or the same is not 99 Kerosene (or the NZ fuel called Kerosene anyway). Kerosene is mostly Solvent 3440 Special with additional colour and bad tasting additives to prevent it being drunk or mistaken as water in the home.

If you do have any form of clear fire fuel, ensure to label every possible container you may put it in with a skull and crossbones and the word POISON etc.

Don't leave anything to chance, IMHO...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?