Forums > Social Chat > The biggerest nerd in Poi awards 2003!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
OH brother,
I have to announce that having seen the competition, I will not be entering the:

Annual Biggerest Nerd in the World of Poi Competiotion 2003

Having easily claimed this title in 2002 with
"Poi weave state transition diagrams"

which graphically depicted weaves all the way up to X beats and were used to develop the goofy weave sub-family.
(Surely the most ugly pointless and nerdy family in the whole of poi.)
I reckoned I was onto a winner this year with post modernism in poi.

but I hadn't reckoned on the might of the german entry.
Professor Klaus

even more nerdy than NYC

check out this mans diagrams, the link on the middle of the page....I really don't understand this.

this is the front page of the site look at twirling to music and workshops

Yep I've looked at his book and after 5 years of poi (and holding the biggest nerd in poi title for the last 3 ), I still don't understand it.

and so this years title for biggest nerd in poi will surely go to prof Klaus Scheuermann.

The good news is that he is going to be at the EJC and doing a workshop. Where, unless a stiff challenge can be mounted by the likes of NYC or Dr coleman, I shall be handing the trophy over to Klaus.

yippeeeeeeeeee!

tell you what though writing poi in fire for the front page is a brilliant idea. cool.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Would be grateful if you could supply some photos of you handing an actual trophy for nerdship to Herr Scheuermann....

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Is there any possibility that you could also enter him in the Stating the Bleeding Obvious and the What in the Name of the Steaming Elephant Gods of Titan Are You Going On About? categories too?

As exemplified here:
quote:
A successfully carried out move is a positive experience for the Poi student. The first Poi-moves are relatively easy to learn and as further success follows, the motivation to continue is high.....On the other hand learning is often accompanied by frustration. A new move is not always learned immediately and then a certain amount of persistence is required.
and here:
quote:
A parallel move corresponds optically to a crotchet. A split or transposed move is like two quavers. However, a parallel move can also have the value of a minim (half note) and a split move that of two crotchets. Changing moves and tempo in a choreography requires a high degree of sensorimotoric ability especially in relation to the acoustic and visual perception of the poi student.

Meh

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
yea with that last quote you can see exacltly why I withdrew from the competetion!!.

This guy is a legend, he's in a completely different league.
I mean I reckon I'm a nerd with a capital N
but this guy is nerdy with a capital
N-E-R-D-Y.

Do you want that with the photo where jay gilligan is autographing my poi.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
If you could get a pic of him doing poi whilst jogging, that would be cool

Video footage of him ending a juggling stint without looking so danged arrogant would be good too...

Will you be getting him to sign both poi?

Meh

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Glåss:
Having easily claimed this title in 2002 with
"Poi weave state transition diagrams"

What are these "Poi weave state transition diagrams" and where can I take a look at 'em? I am intrigued.

E pluribus unum, baby.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
There's an inherent nerdiness in about 80% of germans (in my experience).

Anything to stop them annexing Poland I spose....

(NB: all xenophobic comments have been added in the name of satire)

Meh

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:

um...i do actually understand what he is talking about...probably cos i was taught music so well at school.

but yeh...i cant decipher the pretty circles...but i can decypher the words.

am i mentally unstable??

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A parallel move corresponds optically to a crotchet. A split or transposed move is like two quavers. However, a parallel move can also have the value of a minim (half note) and a split move that of two crotchets. Changing moves and tempo in a choreography requires a high degree of sensorimotoric ability especially in relation to the acoustic and visual perception of the poi student.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey! I completely understand this gear! Not sure exactly what that says about meself

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
UCOF.
I considered you,
but right now your just a rookie nerd.
youre just a bit too cool and a bit too funny to compete with this guy.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
BUT I UNDERSTAND!

and i can draw much more confusing diagrams than he can!

*stamps foot*

Gandhi Ganjamastermember
299 posts

Posted:

Perfect example on how the german language lends itself to saying the least amount of stuff with the largest amount of long and complicatetly arranged words.
The more educated they are the less they tend to say with the most letters strung together.

Even if translated into English.

Why?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
DID YOU LOOK AT THE DIAGRAMS?????

Its not that you understand, hes talking perfect sence, but would you ever concieve of describing it in thoes terms online, to relate it to no physical allorgary at all to start straight from the theory?

Glass, when first you said that your title was forfeit I must admit i didnt believe you, its worth comming to the ejc just to meet this guy, you gotta post the photo an

Tom

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
hmmm nice sig by the way
especially as I'm going to a super nerdy and incredible contact juggling convention for the next 3 days.....
hmmmm

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have gone through the book twice. I know how to spin poi. I know how to read music. I even *gasp* know how to read words. But two times reading through it and I still haven't figured out how to fully comprehend the book. I have figured this out...his process has neither created new moves nor made poi easier to learn from what I have understood. I even tried looking at the book upside down and randomly reading passages hoping that hopscotching through it would help. On that note, while recognising that there has to be some genius in there somewhere, he is definately up for the Nerd of the Millenium award, in my book.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
He's up there with a certain Mr Schatz for incomprehension - at least Schatz (club swinging book dude) was written eons and eons ago

ade

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Glass calling me nerdy?

I'm so confused as to my global reputation... I'm glad I'll be out there to settle the score soon enough.

I'm CERTAINLY a nerd about just about everything BUT poi.

So strange... Have people been saying that I'm tall too? Seems like that might be next...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Is there an award for the biggerest nerd in Stick too?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
poindexter.

ROTFLMAO

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
a set of jay gilligan signed kiwido's might make a pretty good poi nerd trophy...

so i had a look at chapter two and i have to say i think this guy might be onto something.
he makes the differentiation between moving between follow-time and parallel-time by either speeding up the right poi by a quarter turn and slowing down the left by a quarter turn or vice versa.

i'd say most people i spin with don't even know which they do (if they even do it by quarter turns and not half), let alone if they could do it the other way around.
then he gives a load of exercises to play with; some where the right poi is a half turn ahead and the relevant switches to parallel and a bunch with the left ahead and the transitions from and to parallel.
the point is that the whole time there is an underlying rhythm that when the poi are swinging parallel, both are on beat and when in split-time, the beats in effect move to the sides (the 3 and 9 o'clock positions on a clock rather than @ 6 o'clock as usual).

can i borrow that book please glass?

so, has anyone actually seen klaus spin to music? i reckon it might be a bit good.
those cirque du soleil tap dancing ping pong ball poi spinners might well have met him...

imho post-modernism is in it's infancy - my guess is it'll claim the prize back somewhere around 2005.
for this year, klaus gets my vote - and i've never even seen him spin!
man i wish i could come to denmark

the most worrying thing is, he looks a lot like my dad...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
the fact that cole can make sense of Klaus' instructions proves that the book is purely for poi nerds

DizMr Dizzy....
154 posts

Posted:
Cole, you scare me....

D

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."
A Fortune Cookie

AlienfoxSILVER Member
130 posts

Posted:
mmm..small hands, smells of cabbage!

Non-Https Image Link

- Alienfox -

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
cabbages? no, no, no - that's 'kohl'.

different spelling see

now to decide whether or not to try and read it in its native german form - translations often fail to capture the true essence and spirit of ideas conveyed in that most beautiful of languages...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:

Theres more to life than poi! like... well... Stick, Metior, juggling you know, get a.... a..... New Prop!

Im gonna learn chin ballances with a harmonium.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
dude, i'm shocked!

you surely saw one of my shoddy attempts at juggling while drinking tea on the monday morning of glasto...?

lookee here - not exactly proof i'll admit, but would i lie to you lot...?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Just spotted Nix's sig. Not sure that's how to spell Bachelor. But classic none the less

Meh

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Whose a nerd? Not me. Must be a quiet Saturday or sumthing.

I wasn’t planning to buy this book because it appeared much too technical, but now after reading this thread, I think I’ll reconsider. Surely, it's an at an original approach to poi.

Now, Ade I’m surprised Mr Schatz wrote a fine book, and even though it’s a tad difficult to understand, it’s a treasure trove of exercises and moves And Doc Coleman, while we are speaking of Mr Schatz. It should be noted that Mr Schatz suggests with the windmill (follow) that the clubs held quarter of a beat apart (though, I’ll admit I never go it). Go nerds

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
argh hey dudes! nerds program your computers, nerds invent your toys, hell nerds even massage your llamas, so before you poke more fun (ok one more - nerds turn off your fridge lights when you close the door) at us, just remember that the geek shall inherit the earth.
:rubs hands:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
next week
next week
we can award the trophy
my knees are weak

Page: