Forums > Social Chat > had my first burn last night

Login/Join to Participate

dirty beanerBRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
lit up for the first time last night. I was at a party at a friends lakeside camp.. i had decided earlier that day that i was tired of wondering what fire was like, so i went to the hardware store and got the stuff needed for chains. I used towel wicks and lamp oil. It was the biggest adrenaline rush i've ever had... the sound of the flames was incredible. I was spinning in front of about 20 people.. only 4 or 5 had ever heard of fire poi and nobody had ever seen it besides in pictures. I didn't announce that i was doing it but as soon as i started more people started to come down to the front lawn to watch... I got a lot of ooohs and aahs.. great feeling.. can't wait to light up again. anyone else remember your first burn???

i am the gin of gunga din. went to a show with-a gunga din... so early in the morning.

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Cudos, beaner. Well done.
It's a great rush the first time, wow. Heart pounding like crazy, the only thing you can hear is the roaring of flames. I remeber my first spin too, bout 2 and a half years ago in a small park. I dont think i stopped shaking for about half an hour after. !!! WOWOWOWOWOW !!! But becareful, it's highly addictive and before you know it you'll be hopelessly hooked for life
All you freinds and familly fade to grey and the only thing you can think of is your next hit. Your non spinning friends will get piss at you for wanting to do fire everywhere. It ruin your life, in a kindof good way......

Many more happy twirling sessions to you.......

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
Mine was infront of about 150 drunk people going wild!!!
Yep hooked for life.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
HA HA HA HA >>>> Motbag!!!

I totally know what you mean about wanting to do fire everywhere! My friends and family just laugh at me now when I say, "oooh this is such a lovely place, I need to spin poi here!" They've learned to accept it.

My first burn was at my cottage in Northern Quebec, Canada last summer, all the neighbors came in their boats from across the lake to see what this, "strange dancing fireballs" was, and I ended up performing for about 20 people it was cool.

I used to think people would think I'm showing off if I did fire at parties or whatever, but now I realise, people really love to watch it and the fact is, not everyone does it so it is cool and fun to be able to perform something unique!!

We want to entertain, and they want to BE entertained!! I did fire at my friends house party two weeks ago, and afterwards I found out most people thought I was HIRED to do it.. ha ha ha ha ha... now THAT was funny.

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.

dirty beanerBRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
you're right about it being addictive... lit up again last night at little party. Not quite the same as the first time... I was less nervous and was able to allow myself to do a few moves i completely forgot about the first night.

i am the gin of gunga din. went to a show with-a gunga din... so early in the morning.

firemonkeyboymember
13 posts

Posted:
I lit up for the first time this May. I was at a campout and my friend who sold me my poi asked me if I wanted to light up. We went to a part of the lawn of the mansion ( where the camp out was being held) cause I didn't want anyone to watch. (too nervous). About 150 people watched us from the balcony anyway. The sound and feeling was indescribable!!!! I'm hooked for life. Since then I've had other firsts as weel. My first arm hair singed off, my first skin burn. Don't care, can't stop!!! Burn on!!!!

Bad Monkey!

Death is only a change of address

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
jeez... me wanna burn too!! : o ) you all make it sound too good... I just can't wait for MY first burn... But trouble is that it won't come so soon... I've got only two weeks of practice : o (

anyways, good luck and fast growing hair dirty beamer!

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

sunflowermember
8 posts

Posted:
I love the rush i felt after my first burn i couldnt stop I had to keep going that night. It was a great experiance for me on a beach in thailand where there was a few people spinning that night ( a reg. show every night) and one of the guys knew that I have never light up before and he thought I was ready (after about a week or so of practicing everyday) so i got the tail end of his and after that i got hooked so needed some big flames and after the nerves got to be a little less i was able to do more tricks.
I still feel the rush everytime still but that s probably since i am still new to the whole thing. But I really dont think you should light up on a matter of how long you have been doing it but how you feel about it and even if its jsut doing the very simple tricks its nice to know how it feels to have the fire wiz by your head making the best sound ever and getting all that energy from it..

Angel_Xpressmember
55 posts

Posted:
Well Done Beaner

My first burn was 30th May 2003 for my partner 30th birthday party in front of about 20 people. The sound of fire, well what can i say makes me feel like (i'm not going to say its dirty) soooooo goood the streamers on practice poi just don't come close. The performance i put on was quite good for my first time. i sat on the patio staring at the sky waiting to go dark, i didn't drink, couldn't eat i counld't even raise the corners of my mouth into a smile and the music was crap . All i wanted was darkness so the Angel could bring light and when i did , nothing could have put a bigger smile on my face

I am an Angel

Pyro_TechCrazy Nutter stuck in Farmidale...
264 posts

Posted:
I was taught to fire-twirl by a good friend at college - I was hooked from the word go!
The friend that taught me was absolutely amazing, a real free spirit and a complete individual..!
He passed away only a month or so after my first burn, and unfortunately it took me a little while to light up again because of the memories it held for me...
However, I have now been a completely active fire-twirler for two years since he passed and I find SO much relaxation with my spinning, I get all happiness out of it now, plus lotsa memories of a good mate..... I LOVE IT!!!
Hope you keep it up, sounds like you've got da bug...!!
Rach

We all take different paths in life, but no matter which path we take, we take a little of each other everywhere...

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
My first burn would have been in the beginning of June and I have been hooked ever since. I have found that the best place to spin is at the beach though---people will drive by very slowly mezmerized by the flames. I love everything about it-the sound, the smell, the look, the feeling, yep total fire addict!!!

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in to stop my mind from wandering....

flokiGOLD Member
183 posts

Posted:
i was practicing for 10 months and it was more then time to light them up ... and i always wanted to do it in a quite, hidden place with not too many people around. 21st of march this year i went home after work ... i was a bit frustrated and when i passed our great marketplace we have here in brussels, there was someone spinning poi ... i decided to go and talk to the performer, asking questions on what liquid she used ... when i explained her that i was carrying my chains everywhere i go, she pushed me to light them up ... in the middle of the "grand place" of brussels, with hundreds of tourists making pictures ...

WOEAAAHHHH ! addicted ever since ...