Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Can't get it, Whack yourself!

Login/Join to Participate

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
Starting a thread. Every time your poi makes you angry enough to spit nails. Just cant seem to get that poi going how you want it to? Did you just whack the crappp outta yourself? Bump it and vent out.

Was playing with my heavy poi, working on behind the back weave
some days it seems like im awesome at it, others its like i barely know how to do it, today was a day that i didnt know how to do it. I was spinning did two rotations and i starred at my poi head as it slammed in my eye ball. no blinking
Black eye? i feel it coming.
Bump

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hahaha, I was playing with plane changes ages ago, plane changed into a horizontal plane, skimmed my eyeball with my poi while my eye was open... my eye was watering for AAAAGES.

Had to stop poi'ing!!! shocked!

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm.... One of the few (only?) times I have really hurt myself was off an antispin flower which somehow went inside and met my nadgers....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
ill probably be using this thread the most just to keep track hahaha >.<
SO IVE BEEN PRACTICING SAME DIRECTION CROSSERS FOR 3 HRS NOW.
AND I JUST CANT GET IT.
some how out of a weave i always end up in a butterfly crosser,
and im like what the hay.
Ive even tried so much stuff to get it down like two beat left hand on top on my side so it his wall wall planes and throw it in a 3 beat and when the L hand does a 2nd beat behind me i throw it into crosser and it still comes out to butterfly crosser =/
L:KSNFKLNSFDLKB4hpaoidfpqoiweh09i mad no

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
They're tough. It took me a week to get it in each direction. For me the breakthrough came when I noticed it was a matter of making a particular motion in the middle of a weave turn, but it was a really tactile discovery so I'm not sure how I could explain it tongue2

I find it cathartic to bite my poi occasionally.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Jeff CBRONZE Member
Total nerd.
22 posts

Posted:
Ive been working on spiral wraps for months now and i still cant get the poi to spin up and stay in split time. I still cant figure out whats going wrong.

Jim: try going into it from a windmill. You can kind of just drop your arms into it.

I hate to be a forum nazi after just joining recently, but shouldn't this thread go in social chat?

Convert to polar!

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
hmm, i also put it here for cases like such, if people dont get it, maybe prevent them from creating new threads and look at the same problems people might have already have with a specific move and can review it, as well as writing in this thread rather than starting a new one or just vent if the knock the crap outta them self like i dooo alot.
I will try from windmill and see if that helps i almost discovered it, its just hard to tell if im in butterfly or same direction crosser when im actually in the crosser

MandyKandi90mandykandiraverchik
4 posts

Posted:
Im new to poi and every single trick seems to frustrate me )=

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Was working with a neat waist wrap crosser looking thing... poi came up from behind and got me saquare in my danger zone from behind so my dangly bits got the full force... omg... omfg.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Jeff CBRONZE Member
Total nerd.
22 posts

Posted:
Oh great, now im going to have Highway to the Dangerzone stuck in my head all day. Thanks a lot JayKitty =P

Convert to polar!

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MandyKandi90Im new to poi and every single trick seems to frustrate me )=

when beginning poi its quite like that but dont give up and things will fall into place and you'll be like oh wow i cant believe it was that simple.
during the first half of my first month spinning i couldnt figure out a 3 beat for the life of me. or 2 beat for that matter, i learned the 2 beat same night i learned 5 beat grin
But when i got it i was like... wow... really?? just like that huh... moral of the story ... keep trying grin

4 posts

Posted:
lol ive gotten the 3 beat down. wasnt that hard for me, but i got in the habit of doing that so much that i cant get in the groove of anything else lol i need a teacher

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
haha i feel as if i still need a teacher, even tho my library of poi skills has increased, i really dont have much people to spin with... you can always work on incorporating same direction hip reels in with a 3 beat and windmill and such, have you checked out the tutorials? lots of great tutorials on here
https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/Library-POI-3_0_0

4 posts

Posted:
thanks for the help cutie =)ill def check it out!!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Meh. I need more people to spin with.

Anyone coming to RSA for the soccer next year?

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
where and what does RSA Stand for?
im probably not going because im sure its out of the country and i dont kick soccer =/..

No problem Mandy as well, i see you are new to the forums and there is an introduction page ...https://poi.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/632086/READ_THIS_FIRST_before_startin.html#Post632086
to get a warm HoP welcome smile

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The Republic of South Africa? ^_^

hug

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
oh i guess that does make sense >.<

4 posts

Posted:
Thanks Jimtucket, youve been alot of help!! =) sucks that you live states away you could totally help me in person. Visual help is so much better than over a compy

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
its a big world, but at the same time small. Weird like that.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
No problem Mandykandi =).
Its only a hop and a skip... over new mexico.
I really wanna go to arizona there is a vinyard i'd like to go see..
Small world big world its the world we live in =).
I met a guy on youtube who was an excellent spinner from minnesota who is an amazing spinner, also whose best friends with this also amazing spinner who lives about 15-20 minutes down the road from me and i met the other weekend and we went to spin at the club.
twas fun.

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
F U SAME DIRECTION CROSSER HAHAHA
whacked myself in the neck a couple times today, one was a *cough cough* eeeeeckkk *cough* like neck slam...
but hahah F U SAME DIRECTION CROSSERS, i understand you now.

JaredHimselfstranger
1 post

Posted:
Hey Mandy! i actually live in phoenix =P if ya ever wanna spin =)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
The worst I've ever hit my nuts was when I was doing a 2 beat weave really really fast and it came down and smacked my nads going full speed. I fell to the ground immediately, and I just though, oh no it's gonna get worse (because the real pain always comes about 10 second after you hit your nuts) and OH MY LORD! eek I was crawling into the house and I was in a fetal position griping in pain for about 20 minutes. I was just glad my nuts didn't crack like nuts.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
WOOT! FIRST POST!
Yeah I am very new to spinning poi, so every trick is frustrating. I've been figuring out the basic butterfly and keep whacking myself in either the head or balls when the poi tangle. Hopefully I will master the trick before I render myself permanently sterile...

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Managed my first nut crush in ages when doing butterfly flwers and floaters... Goddamnit I hate hitting myself in the nuts.

Keep cathing myself in the face when doing reverse crossers too >_<

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: brenonfire413Hopefully I will master the trick before I render myself permanently sterile...
I wouldn't bank on it wink

When you got the butterfly down, there will be something else that will bring you to your knees while trying to hold back tears... 5 Bt weave did it for me =[

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
For me the 5bt weave made my upper legs covered in bruises. I can't quite put what I used to hit myself in the nuts with one thing. It was with like everything that passes down there. But I'm so cleaned up with them now, it never happens anymore grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
How have I managed to avoid this? I have hit myself seriously once. Otherwise just minor glancing blows.

I guess all that plane practice early on helped. wink