Forums > Social Chat > Poi/Staff/etc. helped you with job interview?

Login/Join to Participate

LovoLord and Master
74 posts

Posted:
Hey guys!

Just wondering if anyone else has ever noticed that when you let it be know at a job interview that you have circus skills, you are more likely to get the job?

You: 'Hi! I unicycle'
Them: 'You're hired!'

Under the skin of our lives; somewhere deep and early, forgotten, we all follow the same dreams.
- unknown

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Yeah i have always put it in my applications even when appliing for IT jobs. I think it works well beacuse it helps them remember you in the crowd of other people.

Also if you do any performing or touring that looks good beacuse it takes a lot of organisation.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
I put it into my Personal Statement when I was applying to University. It must of helped as I am here.

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I use it in stuff for uni as well... I'm doing a teaching degree and talk about the pedagogical aspects of poi, the ways in which I ply my trade with my students of poi, not just the students of my classrooms.

hug

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Yeah I think it definately helps! Anything to make yourself interesting - the more your interviewer remembers you, the less they remember anyone else which can only be good (for you, not the poor shmuck you're job-robbing hehe)

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Oh its just about the way you break things down, how that relates to constructivism and whatnot...

hug

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
From my CV:

"My interests include...various forms of object manipulation including juggling and some fire arts."

Interestingly the guy I was competing with for my job also was some sort of fire performer.. maybe it's getting common smile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I put it on my CV. Look, they need to know up front that I'm a bit of a freak. If they aren't going to hire me because I spin fire and stuff, then I wouldn't want to work there.

But, as others have pointed out, it's quite unusual and thus, will make your application stand out a bit. Makes them want to invite you to an interview to hear more about it.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Doc LightningLook, they need to know up front that I'm a bit of a freak.

And there's all the motivation you need to not put it on your CV tongue2

(I jest, I jest *squirts Doc with Nutella*)

I put it on my cv for jobs last summer. Didn't get a single damn call. Sonsobitches.

But seeing as everyone else is giving postive feedback, I'm not going to blame it on the CV... its that damn credit crunch. Yeah! That's right! wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."