Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
So...if you are filing your taxes, and you don't make much at all but work full time and such, would you get more back saying someone will file you as a Dependant then saying no one is filing you as one?

i would think saying your not a dependant (which i dont think i am but may be able to be claimed as one) youd get more back. Any one know? does it even really matter?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

la_genieBRONZE Member
73 posts

Posted:
Im guessing you are talking about your parents.... work the numbers both ways... one year i let my folks claim my daughter because we lived with them and they got more back by claiming her than i did.

Be aware, the evil flowers may eat your toes....
Have no friends not equal to yourself...
Feed your mind, read a book

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Don't forget though Poje, that there are actually guidelines to being a dependent, so make sure that you qualify as such as well.

If you get claimed as a dependant you won't get as much back, but the difference is not alot if you don't make alot to start with.

I agree with doing it both ways and seeing.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I'm allowed to try it both ways? hmm ill have to investigate further later today. thanks.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

la_genieBRONZE Member
73 posts

Posted:
you can only turn in the taxes one way,... but you can work out as many times as you want esp. if using something like turbotax

Be aware, the evil flowers may eat your toes....
Have no friends not equal to yourself...
Feed your mind, read a book

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
You get more money back as not a dependent but you should make sure parents aren't saying the opposite because that might get them in trouble

At least that is how it worked out for me everytime.

You can go to IRS website and download as many forms as you might need

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed