Forums > Social Chat > SETI - My computer looks for aliens when it's bored

Login/Join to Participate

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I think that aliens are cool. That's why I got this neat screen saver that looks for aliens during its downtime. How does it work, you ask? Well, the bulk of the work is done by great big satellite dishes, called radio telescopes, all over the country that that bring in huge amounts of data about all the radio waves coming in from space. The organization doing this is called the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence, or SETI for short. They're looking through these telescopes for any signs that aliens are trying to send messages through space to find us or anybody else. But there's so much data being collected by the telescopes that this one organization can't hope to go through it all to find anything interesting. That's where we come in. By downloading this screen saver you can help out by not even doing anything, because while you're away it's taking the data from the satellites and it's looking for any signs of alien transmissions. Pretty cool, huh?

Anyway, we want to find aliens for real. So everybody should help out because that's the nice thing to do.

https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I can agree in part with people running folding@home, but any other use of downtime adds to your power bills, and global warming. When I'm not using my computer, it gets turned off. At the wall socket.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

SouBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
I have a friend who's dad works for SETI, he's a crazy cool guy.

That being said I treat my computer the way polarity does so I haven't really even seen the screensaver!

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
I used to run it but if your on dial-up like myself then there are a few features that make it a pain in the arse.

I've since deleted it and I am now more of an electricity concious person.

The screensaver was cool smile

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil