Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > The Poi "I just learned a new advanced move / combo" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Notcomelan3 turning,

that has wall plane similar to inversion.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
From my understanding an antibrid would be say.. clockwise isolatoin vs counter clockwise extension. So different butterfly hybrids?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
To me thats just another hybrid. I don't see why you'd need extra names?

its not like hybrid is no longer correct.

hug

DaedraSILVER Member
The Dae Walker
75 posts

Posted:
Yeah. There's no real Anti-Spin Hybrid, it's a series of ideas to explore more than it is a physical trick to execute. So your "Isolation Vs Antispin Flower Antibrid" is technically just another Hybrid variant if you think about it.

Once my father gave me a kiwi... I thought it was a rodent and I stroked it until all the fur fell out - White Ninja

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
True, I guess the word antibrid is a way for me to relate to a hybrid with poi in opposite. I think I picked it up on a youtube video and it stuck sense.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
woohoo! I learned whirling in an octagon shape and the 5bt btb wheelplane weave turn grin Now, once I get the octogon shape down to 2nd nature, time to move up to a 16-gon shape grin oh also, learn to do it just moving myself in a straight line.
And for the most advanced move there is, I'm finally just learning to get better and just plain old dancing to the music with the moves I already know, that I believe is the most advanced "move" in the book.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: bjrcboy ...Lately I've been developing my beta(any climbers here?)...

there are a few of us floating around.

I just got my first set of sock poi, I learnt myself how to do air wraps last night and learned hyperloops just now. next - isolations, I kinda got them but I think I still make them look sucky.

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: WoodlandAppleOriginally Posted By: bjrcboy ...Lately I've been developing my beta(any climbers here?)...

there are a few of us floating around.

That should s have been hanging around. wink

Isolations take a while to get solid, even after you can do them.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonIsolations take a while to get solid, even after you can do them.
I concur yes
And congradulations to me I finally got down the isolated buzzsaw without coming out of it after a few beats grin

Derek_FaughnDIAMOND Member
DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Ahhh! You are at the stage where poi is the most fun. I remember when i got the iso-buzzsaw down soild! I was so excited! Now learn it in a weave!

"Dream as you will live forever, and live as you will die today"
James Dean

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Oh well...let see what i've just learned.
1. 6 petal antispin wall plane flower (2 trifoils done together; one upside down, other right side up)
2. 180 windmills
3. Antispin flower while doing 360 (very sloopy though)

James Dean

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Octagon?

hug

2,280 posts

Posted:
You know, you're stepping is in the shape of an octagon, an 8 sided shape that also happens to be a stop sign tongue2

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
It's a whirling pattern used by Nick Woolsey in his video on whirling. You basically pivot in alternation on each of the eight points of a regular octagon so you whirl around a small circle.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yes, thank you, and I have to say, it looked pretty damn sweet in my first burn vid grin Until I got ridiculously dizzy and strayed off.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Derek_FaughnAhhh! You are at the stage where poi is the most fun. I remember when i got the iso-buzzsaw down soild! I was so excited! Now learn it in a weave!

Isolated buzzsaw flowers <3 <3 <3

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

AkeluGOLD Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
Btb forward 3 beat weave
Btb 3 beat weave turns
Inversions !

2,280 posts

Posted:
Btb 5bt weave, Wheelplane btb 5bt weave turn grin Finally, my stalls are cleaning up and my isolations are getting better. Whirling without getting dizzy grin Reverse UTA crosser, Butterfly wheelplane meltdown, isolation-cateye hybrid, footwork is improving, Archer weave fountain, cleaned up btb 3bt weaves so I consistently don't hit myself, and had my first burn. That is everything I have accomplished this week ^_^ I basically just got everything I was just working on a tidbit before and came back later and knocked em off in minutes at a time. Also, I can do this thing where its like the start of an air wrap, they wrap once, I grab them so they are hooked around eachother and I throw them and they spin a few times and then it goes into a weave. grin I am very happy with everything I accomplished so quickly. Also I forgot about split-time same direction stalling with my arms extended out, then take the one facing up and bring it to the one facing down and carry it over. There, NOW I think it's a summary of my week.

2,280 posts

Posted:
WOOHOO, after all this practice with btb and crosser stuff, my arms are flexible enough that I can do a 9bt weave. And to make it better, it looks really smooth grin It makes me feel really good that I am now a group of a relatively small amount of people that can do it grin

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
WOW! You are really moving along there! I'm proud of you!

James Dean

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: AkeluBtb forward 3 beat weave
Btb 3 beat weave turns
Inversions !

A good place to go from there would be waistwraps! Which i love....way to much! They are fun!

James Dean

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Derek_FaughnWOW! You are really moving along there! I'm proud of you!
The only problem I'm having right now is that I can't get the reverse 7bt on my left side. And thank you grin I seem to be knocking down everything thrown at me at around the same speed as I did thread the needle. With a few exceptions, such as the isolated buzzsaw took me a couple months, and my stalls took a while and still working on them. Anything having to do with isolations seems to be taking me a while except for the cateye, which was near immediately. But after that video of Alien Jon explaining the horizontal cateye was posted earlier today, I tried it, after trying it like 10 times, taking a break, and repeating a few times, I can almost do it. I can do it for a few beats and it falls apart.

AkeluGOLD Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Derek_FaughnOriginally Posted By: AkeluBtb forward 3 beat weave
Btb 3 beat weave turns
Inversions !

A good place to go from there would be waistwraps! Which i love....way to much! They are fun!

I already know waistwraps, its what helped me learn btb 3bw forward.. i love them too!!!

2,280 posts

Posted:
You can add horizontal cateye to my list now, atleast for my right arm, almost with my left. I was talking to my cousin on Facebook, she went away for about a minute or so, so I picked up my poi, and I could do it after a few more tries. This is basically how I've been learning it. I've done it about 5 times and I can do it now. Now to do it with my other arm and ow my right shoulder, those do hurt.
Edit: Put my left arm on there now. They don't look too pretty, but I can do them.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1261459042)

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
Speaking of multitwist, if you can do 7 and 9 beat weaves, why not also try 6 beat thread the needle and windmills...

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Let's see... Figured out turns in hip reels & windmills (both chase and butterfly), butterfly crossers, wheel- and wallplane meltdowns, and antispin flowers. Figured out forward antispin flowers themselves, got how to change the point directions in a triquetra, as well as how to reverse the direction of a triquetra smoothly. Have two-handed stall transitions between split-time butterfly and chase patterns down, as well as a few stall plane transitions. Got my first few vertical orbitals, and am starting to get reverse hyperloops consistently. Just about have solid buzzsaw fountains.

That's right. I've secretly been pretty busy lately.

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Horizontal stalls with my left hand. Still sloopy! But getting better!

James Dean

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: leospoiSpeaking of multitwist, if you can do 7 and 9 beat weaves, why not also try 6 beat thread the needle and windmills...
I don't even know how to do 4bt thread the needle, no matter how many videos I look up, they just don't tell what you do, it's just, "Hey look at me from the front and for 2 second on the side, and no I will not explain it get out of my face..." If I can get the concept of it, I'm sure I could do it pretty easily. If I am going to get something, I have to know and understand the concept or it doesn't click, once I understand it, I can do something with a very small amount of practice. And Alien Jon's video sure saved me a lot of, umm let's just replace practice with pain, on the horizontal cateye smile Thank you if you happen to see this. I got it in about 1 hour total of practice grin That video just made something click in my head, and I was like, "Oh, of course!" And I got up and after a few tries I got it for like 5 beats and I just extended that.

As for the windmill, I'll give it a try when the weather gets warmer and I can practice outside, but I'd say my favorite it just the 2bt because it just looks so eye-catching.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I found Derek's 4bt ttn tutorial pretty clear. In a normal TTN your right hand is behind your left on one beat and in front of it on the next. When your right hand is behind your left, it's also on the bottom, and the motion between its "behind" beat and its "forward" beat is spent bringing it up behind the left poi and letting it swing down in front of it.

The four beat one works roughly the same, but from its "behind" beat it swings up behind the left poi, down behind the left poi (by twisting the hand under your arm), up behind the left poi, and down in front of it. Obviously this is all symmetrical, and hopefully it made some sense.

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
I have a 4 bt TTN tut?

James Dean

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Hah! Apparently not. Who the hell did I learn it from then?

Page: ......