Forums > Social Chat > University finished!! Now into the big bad world

Login/Join to Participate

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
As of yesterday my university degree has finished! Don#t really even know what to do now, have a sit down maybe, have't slept in 58 hours and counting.

Now I can actually give time to learning new tricks and hanging out with my friends.

Anyone else got any good experiences with finishing uni? The big bad world is a scary place.

hug

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Congratulations Will biggrin

Now you can go and get the treatment you need (are you sure you're not contagious? I found a g... AHEM.. nevermind).

Hope to see you soon wink

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
when I finished my degree all of my mates and I went out and got completly badgered...it was the best time ever. Really sad though as well cos we were all saying goodbye

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
bouncebounce2 clap Well done Will - you made it.

As to experience, i started a job about 3 days after my last exam so i didn't get any freetime frown

So make the best of yours or you'll end up like me - anticipating retirement so I can bumble around the country catching up with people I don't see nearly enough of! ubblol

hughug

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
ditto avoid starting work for as long as possible! Unless you need the money I guess...

I remember starting work a few days after my last exam, after a few weeks it felt like ages since I was at uni. I miss it so much! Now it just feels like the past 3 years have been a bit of a blur, I'm feeling pretty disorientated in terms of what I want to do with my life and where I want to eventually be... it didn't help that I studied social anthropology, it doesn't really set you up for any particular career apart from being a lecturer, social researcher or an actual anthropologist... all of which require even more postgraduate training and study.

wave Good luck to all the new uni leavers!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I have a year left. I've been thinking about this sort of thing for a while though. It's a bit of a scary thought.

But then I thought, hang on, I've had a full time job before... where's the worry?

and then I think: What will I actually use my degree for? I can speak spanish, and have a bit of paper to prove it. cool.

Remember that ANY job you get doesn't have to be forever if you don't want it to be. What I'm trying to say is, there's no need to sit around getting miserable because your dream job isn't waiting for you as soon as you get that photo taken of you with a mortar board on your head. Any job will do, until something better comes along.

But when you're famous, directing movies and making lots of money, if you ever need a crystal ball manipulator... wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Nice one Will smile

Since you've now got nothing to do, you can get on with making me a zombie film.
I might let you catch up on sleep a bit first though, if you're lucky wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
Congrats Will. Does this mean your now a profesional idiot? ubblol
& you can actually make it up for a manchester meet this weekend? (it's Skribbles burbday on Sunday as well wink )

Owned by the lovely SNOOPoi
Owner of Clarence_Quack

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
clap

congratulations!

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
congrats hug smile

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Congrats man! hug

I so wish I was where you are!!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement! Including yours Dave wink .

So anyway the update on Will is, I have a job set up for me,. For those who don't know I plan on working on the film industry. Well, I'm now the production runner for the film production of Mamma Mia, starring pierce brsonan and meryl streep, pretty cool, means I got to be at Pinewood studios from the 11th June for a 4 month shoot, pretty exciting biggrin

But I'd still rather be chilling at home doing nothing! wink

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i'v e got two weeks to go to finish my first semester of uni, does that cout? biggrin hopefully i'll pass ubblol

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
This brings back some memories, I think there was about a six week break between finishing a psych degree and starting work in a residential unit, that was nearly four years ago, I'm currently working towards a doctorate in clinical psych so you could say I never really left uni though.

mark

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Congrats Will! hug

Don't do anything! If you can afford it just take this time and chill. Life can get busy real fast.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
For me, once I finished university, I was spat out into a strange world where not everyone was young and brilliant...

...and then I went to medical school, where everyone was brilliant, most were young, and a fair number were smarter than me. This experience thoroughly worked me over head to toe and spat me out four years later...

...into residency. And now I'm applying for fellowships.

So I've never been spat out of school into an empty space, adrift to roam and find myself. I've always known the next step, always been looking forward to the next phase.

But after fellowship, I might have one of those moments... That mythical moment when you are done, you know everything you need to know, and you are ready to start being a doctor on your own...

...and you need a job. There won't be soul-searching because I know exactly what my specialty is. But oh lordy lordy there WILL be job-searching. shrug

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Congrats willy smile

erm you sent me two blank texts a few days ago too confused lol

You now have no excuse for late night partying. Now it's time to grow up sadly.

That means limiting yourself to a social tipple, not a binge.
You will be waking up and finding yourself in your own bed, not curled up by a toilet bowl in someone's house, someone you don't even know.
Going to bed at 10pm. Wearing striped pj's, and having comfortable slippers. Always remembering to brush your teeth every night....

Nah just kidding.
Stay young for as long as you can!
FOR GOD'S SAKE, DON'T GROW UP!

:hugs:

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
congratulations mate!

wish you much luck in the big bad world, but by the sounds of it, you've got it pretty sorted (in the short term) smile

hug

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
I finish on monday! eek

you still around Hull dude? wanna make some money?

What're you looking at?
I assume you're being rhetorical?
What're you callin' me!?

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
Congratulations Will. I on the otherhand will be starting Uni in the coming months eek I cant wait biggrin biggrin

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Just Another Clown

Congratulations Will. I on the otherhand will be starting Uni in the coming months eek I cant wait biggrin biggrin

So you have another 3-4 years left before you leave?
That works, gieve me time to visit North America and then try and save up some more cash to emigrate. I will hold you to our agreement made last year on helping each other to set up self contained living wink hug

Owned by the lovely SNOOPoi
Owner of Clarence_Quack