Page: ...
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the all-new, shiny thread for fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts anywhere in Ireland.

Our community started coming together a few years ago, and it's grown to include people from all over the country...

If you are new to poi or staff or spinning stuff and want to meet up with any of the Irish spinners, please post in this thread, introduce yourself and feel free to come along to the workshops, gatherings or events that get talked about.

Also, if you'd like to be on my mailing list for fire gatherings and other juggling events, please PM me your email address and I'll add it. The fire gathering takes place fortnightly in Belfast, but it's one way to keep in touch with everyone.

So welcome, and hope to see you soon wave

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

I run a poi workshop for the Crescent Arts Centre (now housed in City Church, Holylands - opposite the Spar), featuring occasional special guests when they visit… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly/Scratch bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £5 per week.

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet.

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

(PS:

DIT will meet...

24th September - 5th December 2007

28th January - 14th March 2008

31st March - 25th April 2008)

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

British Juggling Convention (April)

UberParis (June)

Play (July)

EJC (July)

Falmouth (September)

Clonakilty JC (September)

Bristol (September)

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

biggrin

weavesmiley

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1213212737)

Getting to the other side smile

zombiedaleBRONZE Member
31 posts

Posted:
Nice one Michelle, looking forward to the usual Spinning fun at Crescent Park on tuesday. Hopefully the weather holds in Belfast for that one.

And as the skin rips off i cherish the revolting thought That even if i quit There's not a chance in hell i'd stop- The Dresden Dolls

The truth no matter who it hurts - Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Hey, love the new thread, just back from the BJC juggle weavesmiley and as promised I've been on to the Tara protesters peace to arrange a fire night with them. They're not too worried about having it coincide with Bealtaine but they quite liked the idea of having it on the full moon which would be on the 4th of May. However, this seems to be an extremely busy month for people with exams and work and stuff so I had a look at the phases of the Moon and a good date may be the 1st of June which is also a full Moon and also happens to fall on a friday. So before I go ahead and starting putting the word around and finalising plans does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Mairead x

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Sorry just realised that you all mightn't know what I'm on about ( I'm sure you do ) so go to the official website at https://www.tarawatch.org/ and also here's the latest info (stolen from indymedia):

Protestors who have been camping on the Hill of Tara since the Summer Solstice on June 21, have been ordered to leave by the Office of Public Works (OPW), according to protest group TaraWatch.

The protestors are trying to highlight opposition to the M3 motorway that will pass through the Tara archaeological complex, in the Tara / Skryne Valley.

This action being taken by the OPW is outrageous. The Hill of Tara belongs to the people of Ireland,” said Tarawatch political affairs officer Siobhan Rice.

“These people are camping peacefully on the top of the Hill of Tara. They are not interfering with any works, and should be allowed to remain.

“They are exercising their constitutional right of free speech, and expressing the view of the majority of Irish people, 70% of whom want this motorway moved.

TaraWatch is calling on the public to support their peaceful demonstration, which is taking place on the roughly 100 acres of publicly-owned land atop the Hill of Tara, near the Sloping Trenches.

Excavations are currently under way on 38 archaeological sites between Navan and Dunshaughlin.

The excavations, approved by Minister for Heritage Dick Roche on May 4, 2005, are now the subject of a Supreme Court case. The hearing date will be scheduled in the coming weeks.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
 Written by: french23

so I had a look at the phases of the Moon and a good date may be the 1st of June which is also a full Moon and also happens to fall on a friday. So before I go ahead and starting putting the word around and finalising plans does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

hiya Mairéad,

eimhin (flip on HoP) is already organising a rather large scale fire event in co. offaly that weekend, some of the uk spinners may be coming over for this one so i think that's where you'll find most irish spinners that weekend, you might want to pick another date for Tara.

there's usually tons of people out at Tara for the solstice, which falls on a thursday this year, that might be an option...? that's where i'll be if i'm not working...

thanks to everyone who came out for the gathering last night in belfast, t'was a great night. the massive collective burn whilst being encircled by 3 fire engines with lights flashing & sirens screeching was class devil

love & light

L xx peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol... hurrah!

We got a helicopter and fire chief too...

But why was it only the police who came over to say hello?

rolleyes

And they clearly have no idea about spatial awareness... they nearly walked right into me as I weilded a large fiery stick

devil

xx

PS: Oh... and... can I just thank Lisa again for the best Christmas present ever!!!

She got me Dale's painting!!!!!!! bounce bounce bounce

(Look in my photo gallery biggrin )

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
They're not too worried about having it coincide with Bealtaine but they quite liked the idea of having it on the full moon which would be on the 4th of May. However, this seems to be an extremely busy month for people with exams and work and stuff so I had a look at the phases of the Moon and a good date may be the 1st of June which is also a full Moon and also happens to fall on a friday.

I'll be going. Tara's important, historically and spiritually. We can't just let them tear it down.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Thanks a million Wook hug hug, the more people there the better. I've spoken to Eimhin and the dates of his gathering in Offaly are the 5th, 6th and 7th of June so the dates won't clash. Can anyone who's available on the weekend of the 1st of June please try their best to make it to Tara. The protesters there have put so much into trying to save Tara and it would really help Camp morale to have a fun fire gathering. So please can everyone spread the word, everyone's welcome. I'll keep you all posted.

Mairead x

_3C_Daywalker
215 posts

Posted:
Are they seriously thinking of going ahead with destroying Tara? tis maddness!!

Sadly I can't make it to show support,(stupid leaving cert ruins everything!) but my thoughts are with everyone who protests!

Speed of Dark: As yet unmeasured, but believed to be faster than light owing to its ability to move so quickly out of light's way. -- Terry Pratchett

[total number of times I've been hit in the head with poi: 10! <--- Double Digits!!!!]

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Well there still some time left to fight this but yeah it looks like it will go ahead, the motorway won't go over the actual hill of Tara but it will pretty much destroy the Skyrne Valley which has over 150 historical sites, including Tara, I'm sure you'd be there if you could 3C but even if you can't make it yourself please spread the word.

Mairead x

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
What happened with the fire trucks, did someone call them on you?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hehehhe.

The gatherings have been going on now (on and off) since Dec 2004 and every now and again we've had police or fire brigade drive by.

It's not a residential area, so I'm never quite sure how they know. Maybe a police helicopter sees it? Or some random passerby.

Anyways, Tuesday night was particularly good... we had a helicopter, then two big trucks, then a fire chief, then another truck... and the police (who came over and said that as long as we weren't causing any damage what we were doing was fine... biggrin And they've told the local police station not to be worried if any other calls are received).

Police are pretty tolerant here, which is nice.

smile

See you monday x

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Sorry for any confusion about the dates of the offaly malarky, thats the 5th, 6th and 7th of June

best wishes to all protesters, exam students, and the like,
wave

CroslamhachBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
Howday Folks

Just a random post to the list
We are looking for some extra pyros for a few of our burning man parties in Ireland this year
If there's any burners amoung you (or potential ones) can you drop me a mail at iandunne@gmail.com
Also if any of you are heading to Black rock city this year and are interested in being part of the conclave ceremony or need a camp then get in touch too

Ian Alex

Burning Man Irish rep

www.euroburners.org
www.burningman.com
www.goingnowhere.org

We have much to do together
Lets do it with joy, acceptance and wisdom
Lets make this the human experience

Rinpòche, Bonpo! meditate

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
Mariead, are there busses organised for Tara? How are people getting there?

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
No Wooky no buses organised but you can get a dublin bus from busaras to Tara Cross (then it's a three mile walk to tara hill) but I'll have my car so I'll come collect people from the bus stop and bring them up to Tara Hill, I'll pm you my mobile number.

mosey101SILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
Hey Mairead...sorry for losing you earlier...would have called but left the phone at home...

See ya soon and yes ill go to Tara Hill for some firey fun!

You my friend, i will defend and if we change, well i'll love you anyway

KneelSILVER Member
journeyman
80 posts

Posted:
hi,
Im new to spinning but ive been juggling for a while (with a limited number of tricks..) .ive just started with the poi and i think im gettin the hang of it....id like to meet up with people and get lessons and stuff though.

by the way does anyone busk?like do you go to say temple bar and do shows or anything?

-Niall-

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
yeahthe odd time a few folks go busking in templebar, usually just spur of the moment though. where bouts in the country are ya? north dublin man myself,

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Hey Shades, yeah we do go busking sometimes, last year we were in Temple Bar or Grafton Street every Thursday without fail so I'd say that will start up again in the summer but in the mean time you should come to DIT on Mondays or Trinity on Tuesdays, there's loads of people to teach you and have fun with on those nights, Clare posted a list of all the times etc at the start of this thread so have a look and hopefully we'll see you there.

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
also DIT Bolton street on a wednesday but that tends to be a bit quiet..

KneelSILVER Member
journeyman
80 posts

Posted:
im a north dub myself splinterific,whereabouts are ya? yeh cool,actually today bein tuesday i might head up to trinity today....im going into town anyway cause the glow poi i bought a craply designed and are kinda dodgy.
sounds like fun,id love to go along.

-Niall-

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Ok, well the place to go today is Goldsmith Hall beside Pearse street dart station from around 7pm, Have fun!!

gasolineSILVER Member
54 posts

Posted:
Hey hey Mairead, i'll be back from France on the 30th of May so i'll definitely come to Tara!!
Well, i might be tired but i'll sleep in the train and in the plane to save as much energy as possible!
I know a few people who are coming as well.
Debbie (I have no idea how to spell her name but this looks quite alright) is crashing in my house at the moment, (she's the girl speaking at all the meetings, and "kind of political stuff" my English knowledge does not allow me to explain, about Tara and the motorway problem).
i had a chat with her yesterday and apparently there will be loads and loads of people coming.

It's gonna be great!!

See you soon miss!

Lucie.

Gimme fuel, Gimme fire, Gimme that which i desire!

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
 Written by: shadesofgray

im a north dub myself splinterific,whereabouts are ya? yeh cool,actually today bein tuesday i might head up to trinity today....im going into town anyway cause the glow poi i bought a craply designed and are kinda dodgy.
sounds like fun,id love to go along.

I'm out in swords,
i think i might go tonight... will need directions though confused

jeangenieGOLD Member
19 posts

Posted:
heya folks!

been travelling in asia for many a month now and playing poi and fire poi for about 4 months now. was delighted to find out that there are loadsa spinners in ireland/dublin.

i've been keeping my eyes on the goings on through HoP and thanks to clare! there seems to be so much going on in ireland at the moment and i'm a bit green with envy that i'm not there! will be home in august so hopefully there'll be plenty going on then! anyone going to electric picnic?

looking forward to some hot firey action at home!

thejeangenie

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Enjoy your travels... am sure we'll all be meeting up sometime at the end of the summer...

Take care
Clare x

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
@jeangenie: do you like david bowie????

hug
tina

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

KneelSILVER Member
journeyman
80 posts

Posted:
 Written by: french23

Ok, well the place to go today is Goldsmith Hall beside Pearse street dart station from around 7pm, Have fun!!

damn i only just saw this post now!i was in trinity 'college' today lookin for people,didnt realise it was actually held there....but 7 o clock at pearse would have been perfect coz i was actually there at exactly 7 i just didnt know people were meeting there!wel i might go to the DIT juggling club tomorow...is anyone else going there?

swords eh?im in bayside/sutton

-Niall-

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
i wont make it tonight but i think theres one or 2 people going... bayside? kool, the better half of me lives in Kilbarrack so only a stones throw from ya, few people meet in stephens green on a sunday from bout 2pm - just at the bandstand, there was only 3 last week but sometimes a few turn up...

jeangenieGOLD Member
19 posts

Posted:
heya tina!

yep david bowie falls into my very wide and varied music likes. its also been one of my nick-names for years! and on your back is a great place to be ;-)

jean xx

Page: ...