Stressed Ericmember
15 posts

Posted:
lo allhi i was wondering if anybody has any thoughts on weights of practice poi.i have just changed my tennis ball string for heavy weight chain(dog choke chain) and i have found this to improve momentum of the poi.will this have any benifitial effects on practice as it seems to make any mistakes more obvious but harder to counter act hence making accuracy a lot more importantor would i be better off staying with the string as i find it easyer to 'dodge' the occasional stray twirl as well as being able to twirl for longer without tiring so much.

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
I got some thoughts...I gradually increased the weight of my poi. when i was first learning my first set was really really light. then a little heavier. now it's pretty damn heavy. I also made them longer, which makes it much harder not to hit the ground, but i like the fact that the patterns look bigger. but that's besides the point...This does a few things. It does make them swing more true to gravity, and adjusts your wrists to the right position. your arms will be building up muscle much more quickly. eventually your stamina will get better. Personally, i prefer slower performance, and when i do my thing usually i start real slow and gradually build up, so that at the climax when the poi are about to go out i go as fast as possible, which is a lot more impressive looking (it's an optical illusion) than just going fast the whole time. One other thing that's good about it, the chains going slower give you more time to react/get your preciousness out of the way before you get hit and are out for 15 minutes.However, i keep a set of zuni poi around to practice new stuff with. I don't wanna be getting hit with the really heavy stuff. and another thing, if you practice a lot with heavier chains you're much more susceptible (sp?) to repetitive stress disorders, and yanking your arms clean out of their sockets. Also you gotta keep in mind that if you're gonna make your fire performance poi real heavy, they'll be twice as heavy soaked with fuel.good luck.Peax,Skunk

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
For another interesting perspective;a couple of nights ago my gf made a set of ultralight poi...for living room use, and we have found that they force you to accentuate the correct movement, just to keep them going. They are very very slow...we are now planning an ultra ultra light pair, using wool as the strings, and rubber foam as the heads...these will be true slow-mo tai chi style poi smileseeya,Josh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
There is no "right" weight. In fact, I'll make a case for using different weights on different occasions for different purposes. Use heavy weights for strength (hitting yourself with a heavy weight also has more educational value than hitting yourself with a light weight). Use lighter weights for marathon practice sessions or to focus on technique (some moves are harder with light wicks). Use in-between weights when you feel like it.I am guessing, though, that your wicks should be heavier than your chains, otherwise you'll get a tail-wagging-the-dog phenomenon.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
I find that the heavier they are (within reason) the easier it is to do. Fire is easy and yet glowsticks can be quite difficult @ speed.Try using heavy end and not chains, I don't really like chains so maybe its just personal preference.peace outgarbo tongue
quote:
"Be the change"Mahatma Ghandi

be excellent to each other: safe:

Stressed Ericmember
15 posts

Posted:
lo allthanx for the insight in to different weight for differnt useage.looks like im gonna have to make a heavy pair and a light pair and possibly use them for alternate training sessions as these heavy ones sure do make yer forearms ache after a while and i will certainly agree about giving you more incentive not to hit youreself but hey no pain no gainthanx again all you guys rock

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
I find that when after spinning heavier poi its easy to spin lighter ones very fast. The biggest jump is when i go from poi to glowsticks, they're a LOT lighter. If you go from heavy to light tho, even though you can go faster it can be a little hard to keep em under control, so i have to concentrate a little harder. I think for fire, heavy's better cause of better control, so i usually practice with an intermediate weight.

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.